Why do people post on GAG when they don't want to listen?

I've read a lot of posts and takes lately where it is clear the poster wants everyone to agree with them and isn't prepared to listen to alternate views.

In some cases they ask advice but if the advice isn't what they already think they become hostile and tell the commenter they are wrong and/or perverse. Eg "why do guys like doing this thing?" Any guy who answers is perverted. Any girl who agrees it's good for them too has issues or needs to find a boyfriend who cares...

In other cases they are just posting for a discussion eg "I think this, what are your thoughts and reasons?" People who post in agreement have well-reasoned answers. Anyone who disagrees is obviously not reading the post properly and is clearly wrong. It often degenerates into name-calling and, in extreme cases, blocking. I've literally just been blocked for responding that homosexuality is not a mental disorder (their phrase not mine).

Why invite discussion/ask for advice if the only opinion you'll consider is yours?

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 2

• lure in people to block

• They do it because most of them are trolls. They really don't want an answer... they want a fight... to piss you off and start shit!!!

What Girls Said 4

• They can't handle a differing opinion. Or they know they're wrong and want to look like they won, hence the blocking.

• It's obvious some only want comments which agree with their thinking.

• I been blocked by so many people! lol for arguing my case... or expressing my opinion.

• They probably want support for their opinion. When they don't get it, they get annoyed.