What happens when you call a suicide hotline?

I'm really upset right now and I'm feeling suicidal and I have no idea what to do. I have no one to talk to. I tried talking to my parents about my fears about not getting into college and failing englush but they just yelled at me and said I was overreacting, and I just don't want to talk to my friends about it, so I thought about calling a suicide hotline, but I'm scared.
Is it ok if I'm crying? I'm gonna take a shower and try to calm down, but I'll probably end up crying a little. Also, I'm not an immediate danger to myself, so they can't call the police or my parents right? Also, are they nice? I'm scared that they'll get upset at me like my parents did. I just need a non-judgemental person to talk to.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think they'll keep your data secret and will listen to you. You don't need to say your real age if you don't want to, then they won't call your parents. But I'm not sure about any of these things, I never called a suicide hotline before.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm so so sorry. It's okay if you're crying, just let it out. Hug a pillow, take a long shower, take deep breaths, maybe light a nice scented candle, anything you think will calm you down. I'm sure they will help, after all it's their job. Just take your time in talking with them. I really hope you feel better soon!

What Guys Said 1

• U should just tell someone, if u can't do that then the hotline might be for u

What Girls Said 3

• sometime u wait hours!

• You can call them and it is totally confidential. They won't judge you or yell at you at all. They'll make you feel better. I really hope you call them.

• They are very nice and understanding. They will not call the cops or your parents. They dont mind crying at all and will sit and listen to you and try to help you.