What is the most severe physical pain you have ever felt in your life?

This question cam to mind this morning as I lay in the O R at the local hospital. I thought this would be an easy non painful procedure. A simply incision & take a biopsy. It still feels like someone is trying to rip my ear off the side of my head. Besides some broken bones this ranks right up there in the pain department. I have had similar or worse procedures done before so why was this so painful?

Most Helpful Guy

• Most painful has to be a tie for twice.
    1st. Motorbike crash. Hit by car. Tore my foot almost right off 6" from ankle. Lay there after rolling back off the broken windshield , over hood and pushed myself on the ground to notice 2 bones sticking out and toes in my right leg touching the right knew. Ouch.

Second painful. Hit a parked car on my shidoo at 70-80 mph. Smashed my pelvis ( worst brake for pain ) 4 broken ribs. Tail bone ( sacrum ) broke and compression fracture in #5 vertebrae in back. Ouch.
    So that has to be a tie.
    Picking s guy up off ground in a snow bank with shattered pelvis to put on flat board to go in ambulace is deathly excruciating pain. Then back and fourth from board to table for extasy. Flipped on side for Dr to exam with body more or less smashed in half is the worst pain ever. 6 times I got moved from board to board then bed for 7 weeks in my back healing. Morph drip doesn't help for that type of pain trust me.

And I've had some painfull tooth aches most would just want to die over.
    Relax , you haven't felt pain yet

• I was lucky I was unconscious most of the time after colliding with a car. I only have small flashes and bits I'm not sure if they are real or not.

• You get out of hospital yet?

• Oh yes this happened years ago.

Most Helpful Girl

• Hmmm. I've had a biopsy done on my lymph nodes near my arnpit. Was more uncomfortable that anything. I'd said the worst pain would probably be a tie between period cramps, migraines and RA flare ups.

What Guys Said 17

• Let's see. There was breaking my arm when I was 8 years old. Although, it was weird. I broke it in two places. Right above my elbow (thank god it wasn't on my elbow, or I could have permanently fucked up my arm, I think I remember the docs saying) and my wrist. I was on the swing going as high as possible, fell off at the highest point, say around 10 feet, and fell with my arm behind my back and snap-snap. I ran completely quietly to the backyard where my dad was and trying to eek out how my arm was in extreme pain. He was looking at my completely crooked wrist, but it hurt mostly by my elbow. He was like, "what are you talking about your elbow for, look at your wrist!" And yeah, thus, broken in two places. I remember they both hurt, but I guess the broken bone by the elbow took precedence in my brain.

But really. That wasn't the most painful. I think the most painful was when they set my arm. I screamed as loud as my lungs could go. Then I looked at my dad and said, "I handled it pretty good, right?"

Smashing my chin on the curb when jumping out of the van when I was 3 or 4 (Yep, still remember--I was a rebel, fuck that kiddy car-seat). They iced it up and stitched it, I barely remember, which was horrifyingly painful to me. I still remember the very painful ice.

I was very physically nonchalant about my bodily safety for most of my teen years, as well, doing backflips off of two story buildings and such; but, I can't really remember anything to rank up that high. Except several overdoses, but those weren't as painful as terrifying. One in particular. You think you know what fear is, but nope. Think you know what pain is, but there is always something worse.

As for why, I couldn't tell you. I'm not a doctor, though I imagine there were more nerves in the place they were biopsying? Or maybe they fucked it up this time and accidentally hit a nerve center. They were probably like whoooooops, avoid-law-suit time.

• I think most of the physical pain is more psychologically induced than the actual pain itself. I'm open to a GSW but the thought of being on a dentist's chair creeps me out. My Dentist is a 24/25 yo girl and she's most amused the moment she sees me in her clinic (especially since I have a strong persona, poker face and baritone voice ha ha)

Having said that I think the most physical pain I've felt was in my teens when I broke an arm trying to cushion (bad idea maybe) a 15 ft fall with my left arm. Resulted in multiple breaks in the bone. My hand was shaped 'Z' ha ha. They had to anesthetize me to straighten it out :D

• I know about broken bones not nice eh?

• Well it happened when it did :D I've broken my left arm and left leg in my preteens in separate incidents lol

• I bit my tongue off as a kid: I was jumping on a couch tripped and fell to the ground I don't remember the pain but I remember crying for days. After a while parts of my tongue grew back that I bit off (which is extremely rare) some called it a "act of God" I guess 0_o

This was the most traumatizing experience for me as a kid I'm surprised I remember this so clearly I was very young maybe 4 to 6.

May not be the worst pain experience compared to most but I've been very careful ever since, I rather be safe then sorry.

• Torn rotator cuff is pretty up there on my ouch list , as I am going through that crap now. But this is a bit more mild than torn muscles in the lower back. The reason your ear hurt so much is believe it or not it has per its size more nerve endings than most areas of the body

• I would believe it.

• I got hit on the ear many years ago and it split the cartilage at the rim of the ear and I couldn't believe how bad it bled. It stayed sore for weeks. No fun at all

• Oddly the worst stuff I've been through, Appendix bursting, being stabbed, running and fighting with a displaced kneecap, having a rather awkwardly shaped iron ring which had been crushed onto my finger dug out (and bent free) with a pair of blunt pliers, having a multiple compound fracture hand reset (but the swelling and breaks were too bad so he was just mangling the thing), having a filling without anesthetic or pain relief...
    ... all pale in comparison to a really bad abscess I had in my jaw once. The pain was so bad I was delerious from pain. Apparently I was sort of jackknifing in the middle, then pushing out, scrapping my face along the floor leaving a trail of blood.

• Yeah I've been stabbed twice. Never noticed either of them. One was a lock knife through the back of my skull as well. Bastard tried to kill me. I thought I'd just been punched until a bird started screaming. I thought what's the silly cow bawling about. It had been a big fight outside a nightclub but it was done and dusted. Why start screaming now. She'd seen what the sneaky bastard had done. 3 of my mates caught the prick and nearly battered him to death. They were dropping paving slabs on his head and everything. The only I felt was like a warm shower down my back. Amazing the amount of blood that can piss out of your head. You'd never have thought it

• Pieces of shit. If they'd have done that in front of us we'd have stuck them on the walls with blades. Hate fukin nonces. They do kangeroo courts in the jail for people like that where I'm from. I've seen one. Horrible to watch and I'm not soft

• wtf is with you people? i just had broken bones and bad cuts/scars and shit. got my 2 front teeth shattered a few times, but these all take the cake for me. biopsies? busted testicles? being caught on fire? gallbladder leak? tongue bitten off? holy shit! god bless y'all.

• Maybe because you have faced this procedure before and you built up in your head the pending pain?

For me I thought having 6 broken noses was the worst pain each time it happened until I suffered a Right Testicle Torsion that was the worst pain for me ever.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

• For me it was having a broken bone set and being on fire, I was burned 20% of my body

• You were burned 20% of your body? I couldn't imagine the pain. I slopped boiling oil on the back of my hand it was almost intolerable.

• Yes same here.

• Oh fuck ! Burns are painful ! The worst

• I had an ingrown infected toenail operated on when I was 16 - it involves cutting to the bone and scraping out the stuff that makes up the nail - I remember looking down and seeing my toe bone through a window of flesh... that was excruciating... that was the day I found out that local anaesthetic doesn't work on me.

• Doesn't do much for me either apparently.

• My upper ear had swollen like a tennis ball in a days time. It's getting better still feels like someone is trying to rip it off at times.

• When I had chest pains that felt like a heart attack. Fortunately afterwards it was found out it was an inflammation of the tissue between ribs and sternum. Which is giving the same symptoms as heart trouble but fortunately is relatively innocent :D

• Probably moving my arm when it was swollen from a blood clot and surgeries. My arm is normally 12 inches around and it swelled to like 16 or 18 inches around but I'm pretty sure it was 16. And the pain Numbing shot they gave me before surgery was awful. It felt like they lit your arm on fire

• When I had shingles I couldn't touch certain parts of my back without getting really bad nerve pain. That lasted for around a month and during that month I got around 2 hours of sleep a night as when I finally got to sleep I'd roll onto my back and wake up.
    From that fun experience I now have permanent nerve damage, LIKE KICK-ASS!! only shit :P

• The little things always hurt more. All your nerve endings are near the surface. That being said though the worst I got was a broken ankle. Had to walk on it for a mile to get help. Could feel it grate inside with every step. The only pain that's brought me to tears. I've had my nose sewn back on and my hand cut in half nearly and stitched back together. Walk in the park compared to broken ankle though

• Lol that's the understatement of all time. Felt like it had been dipped in petrol up to the waist and set on fire. I thought I was tough up till that point as well

• Testicle pain.

• Got kicked did you.

• How did that work?

• OK, after about 10 minuets the pain was almost gone thankfully. Testicle pain can be so severe to the point of vomiting, which I've never experienced, but others have.

• i have always been very lucky with physical pain, mental probably opening my wallet to buy a car

• Moving the wrong way while dancing and twisting my knee out of place.

• Me i had my testicles stepped on by soccer cleats... it still hurts when i cum

• I can't even imagine that.

• All of us. I had two close calls. If u read above. Lol.
      Dare Devils. Oh I've been hurt many times from bikes etc. Just two above topped the cake

• @Theshaft169 By your age I had near died twice.

What Girls Said 10

• Shoot, reading these comments has made me cringe. You guys have really been through some stuff!

My first dental abscess is probably my most painful experience. I've had more abscesses since then, but my first was definitely the worst. It somehow appeared on the roof of my mouth and it got HUGE (took up about half of it). I was 18 and I woke up in the middle of the night crying and begging my mom to let me go to the hospital. Tylenol had absolutely no effect on it. When I finally got to the dentist and was prescribed pain meds, it was heaven.

• Yes good old painkillers.

• It felt vaguely like I had a giant bubble in my brain exerting pressure, and the side of my mouth was tender to the touch. But after reading these comments, it sounds like I've been lucky! Lol

• Why = not the best doc due to IQ, motivation or experience
    but agree biopsies have to hurt a bit "to get it all" not miss a spot = hurting you only to create a failure

Ribs is right up there, going through some of that thanks to hard ground strikes at golf

One of the worse (or equal to biopsy that led to OR cuts that hurt healing) was smashing my thumb doing plumbing... split the nail, had to drive 4 hours, eventually went to Urgent Care where they drilled a small hole in nail to let blood out = less pain --- poor thumb... same one a paper cutter blade came down on years ago to cut it to the bone... the next year's class had a thumb cut off by same paper cutter... I can't win any sympathy... always get bettered by someone else and look like a crybaby even mentioning my pains

• Ouch cuts to finger are hard to heal because of constant movement.

• The worst pain ever..
    Well, the migraines I used to get were pretty shattering and could last for days. Blind, feeling like your head is gonna explode.

Having my broken nose reset, having my knee reset.. Pretty ouch,
    Recovered from wisdom teeth and jaw surgery.

But I'd say what was almost as bad as the migraines, was having to have my high nostril piercings reconstructed at 3 days old.

They embedded because I got sick and swelled up too fast.
    The girl was inexperienced, the head piercer wasn't in.

So for 30 minutes I got fresh jewelry in the high part of my nostrils, pried on.
    (Which had to happen, them being embedded and threaded right) the goal is to not have them messed with then because it's inevitably painful.

One almost sealed shut, she tried to push it open with the blunt taper for forever. Instead of repuercing.
    It was a bloody mess.
    I have a high pain tolerance and I was shaking in cold sweats and almost passed out like 4 times.

But I wanted them bad.
    And I'm happy to say they healed fine after that:)
    (And a month or so of a fat nose)

• Or when I got a bunch of throat ulcers.

• Wow you must have wanted that piercing bad.
      As for migraines I know about those. I want to dig a hole, climb & pull the dirt in behind me.

• I paid like 200$ and I'd wanted to for forever.
      No giving it up.
      And she didn't ruin it, she did everything safely, just uh.. More ouch than needed.
      And after all failed, they pierced them up again.

Ear pain though D': I've never had a procedure that caused that. But I know from migraines and constant ear infections as a kid, that anything with the esr hurts so bad.

• Either the epilepsy or the hallucigenic drugs they gave me when they wanted to conceal a medical error that they made.

• Headache
    Cramps
    Mental

• One of the worst is right now. The right side of my tongue is swollen and scratched and it hurts to eat and swallow

• When my gallbladder leaked and bile started dissolving my organs. That hurt. A lot. They had to keep me on constant high dose morphine for 18 hours until they could work out what had happened. Organ pain is the worst pain.

• Yes I have experienced internal injuries too. Nothing like a gallbladder attack though.

• Sounds nasty.
      Everything worked out for you in the end I hope?

• Yeah, all good now. Much better without the gallbladder XD

• I broke my pelvis. It was extremely painful even when I wasn't moving. Couldn't move, could barely stand let alone walk.

• Toothache and foot cramps.

• Hmm. That's a hard question. I've had severe burns on my whole forearm, a whole lot of tattoos, broken bones, birthed babies without drugs, and have been stabbed.
    But the worst pain I've ever experienced was getting some teeth pulled. I wasn't able to have any drugs during or after the procedure. So it was really terrible.