Do you think video games containing violence cause real violence?

Like games such as Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty, Mortal Kombat etc.

And why do you think so or not?

• Yes
  • No
  • Neutral

Most Helpful Girl

• Only if you allow the fantasy to breach into your reality.
    People can sort of 'vent' themselves through video games and watching/reading fiction because they KNOW that it's fiction. They know they are distanced. They know that it's fake, that if they're beating a 3D character, they ARE only pressing commands that intend to cause 'violence' on that 3D character. It's curiosity, it's exploration. It's a desensitised view of blood, gore etc.

I think the problem starts when you start identifying with these characters who perpetrate violence, whether in the name of justice or in the name of mischief-making. That you have an illusory assumption that you can be a hero or villain like that in real life. When you allow those feelings to inflate your ego.

If a real life crisis were to happen, it can result in either direction - that the game experience may help you to deal with the situation at hand, or make you realise you actually can't. I think sensitivity is definitely altered, but the level of alteration depends on other factors in a person's life.

• My brother and I used to play Tekken a lot. He loved Mortal Kombat and then he went on to CoD etc. Sometimes we'd imitate those moves, sometimes end up wrestling each other. But when one of us got hurt and the other saw the pain and realised it, we stopped. The awareness of inflicting pain forms a barrier. You don't want to be the cause of harm to others.

Case to case varies.
      If you're being bullied, and you let your emotions go out of control, you may imagine wanting to blow up that person's brains using a shotgun, enjoying the spillage of all that gore. To say, 'HA! How does that feel now, huh?" In this case, there is a factor in this person's life that holds the probability of the resentment to be channelled into real life via the violence one has familiarised oneself with through games etc.
      There has to be some sort of insecurity in that person's life for violence to be channelled through influences.

Most Helpful Guy

• It has actually been proven otherwise. Violent games decrease violent behavior. Obviously, if the player has a psychological problem, then it may produce violent, but to "normal" people, it doesn't.

Competitive games are what produces violent behavior, cause of the competitiveness. And I agree with this. I don't get mad or violent when I play games like God of War, GTA, Assassin's Creed, RDR... I actually feel calm, relaxed... but when I play games like NHL, NBA 2K, online competitive multiplayer games... I do tend to get more angry and "violent".

Competitiveness is what causes violent behavior, and not just games, in other aspects of life it does too. Just look at how much violence there's in sports, hell, even politics get in fist fights sometimes.

What Girls Said 8

• nah, I don't think so. There may be a correlation, no causation. I played GTA from the days of playstation, the real thing. I guess it would be playstation I, when they still had gangs like Yakuza as part of the gameplay. I couldn't be any less violent of a person, I'm a total softie.

There may be a link between the two only so much that if someone happens to play video games a lot and say, their gaming/tournament is not going well, they'll be furious and in a heightened state. Which naturally may be let out in a violent manner in rl. Not that they were inspired by the violence in the game, they just got the emotional high from it.

• I can't say I have ever tried to perform a Fatality on somebody just from playing Mortal Kombat, no.

• Of course not. Anyone who's normal and without mental illness will be fine. Video games don't make someone violent, that violence has always been there. My dad introduced me to Mortal Kombat when I was four years old. I'm as harmless as a fly.

• Its really the person and not the game itself

• after you start playing it stays in your memory and causes you to subconsciously become more violent

• If so, watching the news definitely makes you into a hardened terrorist huh.

• @Vasiliy no, in video games you kill when you watch the news you don't do anything

• I wrote a paper on this once. Studies suggest they can temporarily raise aggression (think wrestling, being rough/rowdy) but there was no consensus on violent.

• Nah, almost never... it works only on some aggressive and mentally disturbed people.

• Mostly no.

What Guys Said 27

• Literally everything in our lives has an influence on us. That includes video games. That includes violence in video games (or TV or movies). Media in general, including games, TV, movies and music all have a big influence in us.

However I think the violence in games has less influence than the simple fact that someone playing a lot of games isn't out expending energy doing something else. Instead of doing something physical, they are allowing their energy to build up with no way to vent it. Humans aren't designed for that. They are physical beings, and sitting in front of a computer or console playing games is totally unnatural. Nerd rage is real. Sometimes it extends to real life. There are probably hundreds of thousands of smashed keyboards, controllers and mice to testify to that.

• Absolute bullshit. If that were the case then I would have been a serial killer. Sure, I just played Skyrim where I laughed my ass off as I punched a woman to death in a killmove, but in real life I'm very far from violent. Besides, I laugh during death scenes in horror movies as well so maybe I'm affected differently so I dunno.

• No I think violent video games most often is a way to let off steam. Exactly the opposite of causing real violence. But. . . There is the occasional lunatic that gets his psychopathic ideas from violent games. So I guess kinda both. Although I voted no

• Personal choices are NEVER trumped by outside influences. A person will do what they do despite anything else

• No, I do not think so. First off, if these games did do that, then there would be hundreds of millions of homicidal game players out there. In the same way that kids can watch die hard without murdering people, people that play video games realize it's fiction and often use it to release stress. If you can't then you have a psychological issue, one that would have been triggered by anything else in our culture.

There have actually been numerous studies that found the opposite. Games frustrate gamers; in the moment they are more upset, but overall they are better able to deal with frustrations that life throws at them. People who are addicted to games, like any other addiction, can be anti-social and depressive. Most gamers, however, are are more patient and capable of problem solving than if they did not game, and they are no more likely to be aggressive.

• Don't know if it causes it but studies have shown it desensitizes

• Yeah, I have seen studies tell me this also.

• @Vasiliy the first part was about professionals I just explained it bad. Drs and nurses today have compassion and empathy but are calm and level headed. So are first responders. The Nazis doesn't mean just soldiers it was an entire regime. They did do a desensitization process with the nation and used propaganda to do so. 16 at a time getting shot? No, in one day at Auschwitz they would "process" as they called it approx 10,000. You need to research deeply the horrors the third Reich did before speaking and showing your ignorance. That was just one camp there were also 4 others.

• Never said third reich soldiers bruh. I meant Americans or any nation really.

• Nope, I doubt that.

• I remember as a kid playing Grand Theft Auto having fun shooting at civilians and running over pedestrians have a whale of a time.

In reality blood makes me uneasy and I wouldn't ever harm another soul. Even the thought of it fucks me up.

I don't think so.

• No. It's all down to the person.

If you go by that logic it means that films and tv shows do the same.

Game of Thrones doesn't make me go around with a sword. Star Wars doesn't make me run around like a retard shouting Jedi quotes. 😂

• No, if anything it lessens violence. We all crave that violence, either in high levels or low. Lol video games saturate that :D

• People were violent before video games and people are still violent with video games.

I don't run about with a sword cutting people's heads off (that being said no one I know would trust me with a sword)

But the point still stands, video games don't increase levels of violence in people to such an extent that they'll attack people.

• Only in cases where the player was already disposed toward violence, evident given that a huge number of people play video games and only a tiny minority of them try to reenact what they did in the game.

• They said the same thing with books a long time ago. They also said the same thing with TV recently. Somewhere in between it was pen & paper RPG (the origin of all your favorite fantasy girl costumes).

Most violence occurred somewhere in the middle ages when you had no entertainment and people had little to no law and the religion was the court.

• no i think they prevent it. if you get someone who is mad at the world, and just let them play gta and just go around shooting things it will help a lot

• I think it primarily depends on the persons mental state. A completely healthy human being would not be effected bynit for they know how it can translate to real life.

• If anything playing violent games helps me reduce my violent urges. Its a good outlet.

• i played call of duty series 1,2,3,4,6 and did not kill my neighbor but war games make me in the mood of fighting and really want to go to war and kill enemies especially special forces missions

• If so i wouldve been doing sheryukens for days

• It might depend on the person, but typically I would guess not.

• There is no evidence that they do

• I never could pull off special moves

• Hell no, they dont.

• It depends on the person and upbringing

• Do you think movies and TV containing violence causes real violence?

• Definitely. Life imitates art especially amongst impressionable kids.

• In a very, very small percentage of the population would the violence have an effect. A person would have already been predisposed to commit acts like that.

• I don't think it is a main cause of anything directly but I am surprised to find myself thinking that yes it does contribute to the gun culture and culture of violence. I was in the store to pay my phone bill the day of the mass shooting in Cali and right when I walked in a kid about 8 turned to me and shot with his finger as if it was a gun. I thought about that for the rest of the day. Instead of a smile I get a fake shot. Go to Toys R Us and 70% of the toys for boys are related to war, guns or violence.