Can you be racist against white people?

So a lot of people say you can't be racist against white people and I don't get it. The definition of racism is "the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races." It says nothing about "Oh since white people have been on top it's okay to discriminate them blah blah blah"
So basically if there was one white kid in an all black school, the other kids are not going to treat them differently?
And by the way I'm mixed, half black half white.

Most Helpful Guy

• Rhetorically, everyone can be guilty of racism. The effects of racism differ depending on who is acting in a racist manner, however. People with power, whether economically, politically or otherwise, can use their power to harm those whom they dislike. Historically, the people with power have not been minorities. Therefore, many minorities feel as if they can't be racist against white people because their racism has no practical effect apart from some hurt feelings. Anyone can be racist, however. How destructive the racism is varies from person to person according to their influence and action.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, you can. I was gonna post the definition but you already did.
    And I was gonna give you that example, don't be a white person in an all black school. Don't be a Mexican in an all black school. Don't be a Mexican in an all white school. Basically, if you're the "different" one, you will be picked on.

I think what SJWs, and Sociology majors want to do is make racism=oppression. In the US, we can't systematically be racist and what white people feel is individual racism. They're both wrong.

What Guys Said 19

• You wrote it yourself - the definition of racism is to hold other races as inferior. Where, how and why did you pull out this thing about white people being an exemption? Of course they're not. You can be racist against them and they can be racist against you or anyone else.

• I got called a whitey tightey once lol

• Thats nothing compared to being called the N world or a towel head. All the names white people get called are nothing compared to the names minorites get called.

• @Superior93 agreed. I didn't mind at all lol

• Ofcourse you can be racist towards white people. It is a race isn't it? We see it happen all the time on the news and television and every kind of media. It's not labled as racist but a lot of times, that's what it is. But it's still pushed aside because white people make up the majority of the population and are seen as the most wealthy, so it's seen as "It's not racist because your the majority".

• Everybody is racist against white people. Pop culture from the tv and everywhere has everybody believing we're the root cause of all of histories ills. It's bullshit. White people have solved far more problems than they ever caused. There's a big worldwide agenda against the white race from people of influence. White women are encouraged to sleep with everybody hence the feminist agenda and the push towards spurning their own race. The proofs in the pudding. It's all orchestrated from the little propaganda box in your front room. Nobody questions anything anymore. Just blindly follow everything they're told

• Saying you can't be racist against white people is like saying a man can't be sexually assaulted

• A person could be racist and hate white people. The difference is that the whole society is not set up to discriminate that white kid. When that white kid walks in a store, security won't follow him around until he leaves making sure he doesn't steal. When he walks down the street at night, cops pull over to advise him he's not safe, instead of pulling over to search him. Yes, there are good and bad people in every race and it's hard to find work for everyone, but being white ( which I am), my life has been way easier and I'm only guessing here, but so has yours

• Yes, stupid question.

• Tell me which is worse:

Being stereotyped as being rich and snobby.

Or being stereotyped as a nerd with a funny accent?

• For me, no. But I have been called a Racist Word a time or 2 and in both cases I have knocked their lights out.

I believe in equality, that means I'll knock you out regardless of your Nationality.

• Yes you can.

• Yes, u can. Now, white people shouldn't be as offended by it, but u still can.

• in theory ya, in practice it doesn't really happen

• yes you can, you can be raciest towards any race

• Yes. Those who say otherwise are trying to provoke a race war

• Of course you can be racist against white people.

• Sure, be my guest. lol

• Yes we have feelings too.

• Yes even though historically white people have been lucky compared to other races in the last 2,000 years. I have been treated awful by other races on the sole reason for being white. Hurt people hurt people so I have learned to forgive.

• It is the safest way to be a racist while not be condemned.

What Girls Said 10

• It's possible in some aspects, for example I'm mixed races, half Iraqi, half British, I'm white (practically albino) and I'm Muslim. So besides my parents I'm the only white Muslim I know and I'm even the only white Muslim in my school. So when talking to my friends outside school, telling them I'm Muslim almost always ends with them saying 'BUT YOU'RE WHITE!'

See racism can be in many forms but it happens to white people, black people and religious people, it's not fun, regardless of race or who it happens to.

• I know I've been seeing it a lot lately that you can't be racist to white people but you definitely can be.

• The simple answer is you can be racist to white people. You can be racist to any race if your prejudices involve the color of a persons skin. But white people get racism from every race because of their past of being prejudiced towards other races and placing themselves in a position of superiority over those races and through that. The white race is always singled out and isolated often. The fact that you even call white people white people and minorities minorities is enough to exemplify that. White people get their race called as their skin color. Where as all other races are categorized under the one single term minority. Another example the one drop rule people of a mixed race of black and white are called black instead of mixed even though they have white genes.

• yes i guess.

• Racism can exist towards any race, so yes.

• People who say you can't be racist against white people, are racist themselves.

• Of course. People of all races possess thoughts of feeling superior to another race. I personally don't understand it.

• A lot of black people are

• Of course you can

• Racism can happen to any race. Doesn't matter who or what.