Am I weird or do people just not understand me?

Ever since i have been little, all i can remember is that i think, speak and act differently to everyone else. I tend to have more morals than most people and have higher standards, I'm not a snob, it's just the way i have been raised. I have a completely different thought process to everyone i have ever met and i just don't fit in.
More recently, now i've started College, i have noticed that i'm unable to make connections with other people and make friends easily because i have nothing in common with them and i am probably perceived as a bit weird. I have hobbies and interests such as i am a dancer, i enjoy reading and listening to music as well as socialising with my friends, i enjoy learning/studying as i aim to go far within a legal career, and i volunteer at the local childrens charity because i enjoy helping people. So what i'm asking is, am i weird or do people just not understand me?

Most Helpful Guy

• In order to be understood, you must have knowledge of things that others are interested in (so that they would have a reason to connect with you socially in the first place), AND you must be proficient in actually verbalizing your thoughts in a manner that others would understand.

I personally tend to have an issue with both, most people just don't care about what I talk about, lol. It helps if you have a general idea of how communication works and what the social norms are in regards to talking to people you don't really know; and to have a shared context so that talking to each other is appropriate.

Most Helpful Girl

• Stop the presses, a teenager likes socialising with friends and listening to music!

OMFG, such a weirdo! D:

What Guys Said 2

• People just don't understand you, but there should be many people in college similar to you. The problem is they are usually much more soft spoken than the party animals. I'm sure you are surrounded by others similar to you but you just don't realize it because they are less outgoing. If you find a way to connect to people like you, maybe through a study group, dance club, or book club; you will find that you are really not alone.

• You're as normal as they come.

What Girls Said 0