Should we protect our children from people discussing differing religious beliefs?

If your kid was Catholic or whatever region and you overheard others talking about their atheist beliefs would you try to protect your kid from hearing them?

Most Helpful Girl

• No, I wouldn't. There's nothing wrong with my future children hearing beliefs other people may have. If anything, it'll help them realize that everyone's different. That there's no norm you have to fit into and you're not a failure if you believe something different.

I think there's nothing worse than people getting a stick so far up their ass that they believe only their way is the 'chosen way', and shun people who may differ. Society would probably be a much better plus safer place (especially as of late) if people realized that not everyone will hold the same beliefs, but that does not make them any worse or inferior to them.

• You took the words right outta my mouth! (:

• @tellmefantasies
      Is that aimed at Atheists?

• @Superior93 It's aimed at everyone.
      A does not know about B = A will make assumptions and treat B based on their assumptions.
      Same goes for B's assumptions about A.
      If both A and B make an effort to know about each other's beliefs, they have better chances of respecting the other.

Most Helpful Guy

• Protect? Or "brainwash?"

What Girls Said 36

• I wouldn't. I would bring my children up to be open minded.

• I want my kids to be deist as me. But if they decide to be something else, who am I to forbid them have a own mind?

I wouldn't try to protect him/her, since I think s/he needs to learn about how the world works his/her own.
    What's the use of me protecting him/her? At some moment they'll discover what atheism is.

I might protect them from drugs and sex in their childhood but as teenagers I know they'll make the right decisions.

• No I wouldn't. If your kid is a practicing Catholic and is very convinced with his religion it wouldn't turn him into an atheist... I'm Muslim and I loved discussing religion from a very young age. Plus the French system is very secular and my teacher were very anti religion. Didn't change a thing, most of my catholic friends are still catholic and most of my Muslim friends including me are still Muslim.

• I definitely would not "protect" them. I actually feel that this would hinder them. The world is full of different people with different beliefs and even though we follow Christianity that doesn't mean everyone has to. I actually very much enjoy learning about other religions and my daughter seems to have that same interest.

• I think raising a child to be religious is bordering on child abuse as you are pretty much brainwashing someone who doesn't have the mental capacity to question shit.

Raise the kid secularly, let them pick their own religion.

• I totally agree with this I was raised in a fearful Abrahamic based faith, and know have grown wiser it is totally child abuse of the mind.

• No. If I ever have kids, I will educate them on the different religons (or lack of religons). My kid needs to learn that the world they live in is a diverse one. Everyone will have differeing ideologies, world-views, etc. We just need to accept that despite the fact that they might disagree with them. I feel like because I have always been around other christians and never learned about the different religons out there, I was really close-minded to people's religous views that weren't the same as mine at the time. Keep in mind I was a child, but I remember an atheist classmate of mine talked about his beliefs. I felt like he was "dumb" for having those beliefs. It wasn't until I got older and realized that not everyone practices the same religon as you. I feel like sheltering your child from that will not help them grow. I felt like that happened to me due to the lack of education of differing religous views. I also will raise my kids in a secular household and let them choose their faith or lack of faith for themselves.

• It depends their age. If they are like 8 then yea because they are easily swayed in what to believe or what not to. But when they are 13 then I would let them decide for themselves but still give my input. Forcing your child to believe in something when they are a teenager will just make them run farther away from it. I say that from experience.

• If its a small, kid I think you should talk with them about your beliefs, and make them know what they should believe, and when, they grow up they will decide in what religion they wanna be , if you protect them now, they will hear it somewhere else, from internet for example, but if you teach them about your religion, even if they won't be protected from those conversations they will hold on to what they believe only when they really believe in it , I'm not Christian but I think that's what you should do... Teach your child to love his religion first ( as a kid ) and when he grows up he can't change his beliefs easily if he really believed in them in the first place.. Hope I helped, and sorry if I didn't explain myself properly 😅

• Child has to learn that other religions exist at some point and that they are no more right nor wrong than anyone else's.

• well may be I am not right one to answer this question as I dont believe any religion is the right religion. I would want my child to be able to think on his own but what I would like to teach him is good moral values. Which most of the religions are also teaching. So I wouldn't mind actually I think it is good if he hears different views.
    But if you want him to be Catholic then also I dont think it is a good way that you protect him from everything else. Sooner or later he will hear and see things that will make him wonder. The thing that is important is the way you introduce your religion to your child I think. You should have arguments for your religion and strong belief yourself, also you should ''be a man of your word'' that your child can respect

• No I would not because at the end of the day you can't they are going to interact with kids of different religious back grounds and they are going to talk about each other's religions if you try to protect them from it now that just means they're going to hear it soon or later if you raise your child with your religious beliefs and an open mind you won't have a problem with it most people fear what they don't know or fully understand you just have to be open minded and talk to your kids when they have questions about it

• No, there's different religions and its normal, anyways, the kid is BOUND to find out at one point, BOUND. I mean the kid isn't going to grow up thinking there's one single religion in the entire world. And its not Catholicism is the only good religion. there's many great religions out there and if you're very religious it can be fun to explore God's various angles. :T

• As much as we want to as parents/guardians, we can't protect them from every little thing because eventually, the world or their friends will teach them. I think it's ok to allow kids to be aware that this stuff exists, but also teach them what God says about it.

• What if it was something that really challenges them like someone who doesn't beleive in God?

• They'll be going through that situation eventually just like the rest of us did/are. There's always going to be that one thing or person that makes us question God and what we know of Him. Like with me, I grew up in church and knowing about God and the bible inside out. But then I got exposed to my bfs and their beliefs and it screwed me over. Because of my training of who God really is, however, I came back to the Lord on my own.
      When kids reach a certain age, your "control" over them won't faze them as much and they're going to do and believe what they want. That's just life :/

• Well, I will be a non-religious parent raising my child is a relaxed household. And so, I would teach them the basics of Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Judaism, and Buddhism, but from a scholarly perspective. I would be happy to have my child taught about different cultures and religions, however I would draw a rigid line at someone telling my child which religion to follow.

• No... if I have kids I free to let them pick religion... I just don't have one.

• I am Christian and it would bother me if someone was to speak directly to my child about another religion. HOWEVER, I would not say anything. I am not about to force my children into believing in Christianity on the simple fact that I do. They are free to choose their own religion. Though I would hope it was the same as mine..

• I am Catholic in fact and I told my son to choose his own belief system. I'm not sure he even believes in God? He is a father now. I hope he will be as open-minded as I was with his own children as to what they might believe. You can't force your faith on others. That never made sense to me. God is such a personal thing.

• No. You should not control your kind's mind like that. When he is older, he'll choose his religion, or to be atheist.

• That is part of the problem with the world to many close minded people

• No because they will hear it eventually lol. You can't "protect" them. You are just making them ignorant and frankly, they might divert from what you wanted

• No, they need to learn to deal with differing beliefs. Also, an unchallenged faith is a weak faith. People need to come to their own conclusions.

• no, my "kid" could do whatever the fuck.

• I just want the topic of religion to be omitted when around children. If they do overhear something, I'll just tell them others have different believes.

• Why bother... they're gonna make up thier own mind in the future anyway

• Of course not! My children need to know that there are other things in the world they can believe in and that they are allowed to believe in whatever they choose.

• What? Haha no

• Nope, if i believe my belief system is the right one then id know my kid would stick to it because my kid wouldn't be a little dumb butt. it very good for kids to discuss and learn many views so they can be more open minded when in "adult" real life

• No, they should have the right to choose what religion they believe in.

• I don't care if my kids are exposed to alternative religions AS LONG as those beliefs are not atheist, agnostic or pagan.

• It's their choice what they want to believe in, not their parents'

• More from Girls
    6

What Guys Said 50

• No. My mother was very religious. She took us to church when we were young. I quit going at a fairly young age. She never said a word about it. She believed it was something we should be exposed to, but ultimately it had to be our own choice. Religion should never be something done through force, coercion, guilt, hiding other views, or anything other than a true choice.

• Why would you? If your afraid of opinions then your faith in your religion/ideology must not be very strong. You can't force people to except an idea or a faith, they choose, and quite honestly the more you try to force it the more you drive them from it. Besides which open dialogue is what drives us forward, sharing of ideas and opinions makes us wiser and brings us closer to truth, I would not want to deprive my child of that.

• Absolutely not! I do not have the right to dictate what religion, if any, my future children should follow. I want them to learn about all religions, including being atheist and agnostic. Then, when they have sufficient knowledge and experience, they can make up their own minds. All religions are equally valid, and involve the journey up the mountain of life to reach spiritual enlightenment. Different paths, but the same mountain. Agnostics just wander round the base, unsure which path to chose, if any. Atheists just don't believe there is a mountain.

• Absolutely not. People are absolutely the strongest on their beliefs when they have been exposed to, and carefully considered, opposing views.

• "protect"? if we had to "protect" people from religions because they might "fall" for that other religion, you make their own religion nothing more than a delusion. thinking you´ve got the best religion not even knowing the others is pathetic! if you just blind yourself from everything out there, how do you know what is the best religion?

i think our children deserve a fair chance to be tought about all the religions and choose for their own, what is the best. everything else will produce dumb, close minded, fanatic losers!

• Censorship is not "protection", it's mind control.

• No they should here more of atheisum so that they can here diffrent prespertives, and not be in total fear the whole time. Which all Abrahamic based faiths do.

Really I would have it made illegal to teach a child about relgion or arhisum, till there mind is capable, at the age of 5 is when most of them get brainwashed because of the brain development and they are not going to dare questions the parents beliefs because the mind is not capable or they rely on them for to much food protection etc

Who says that your belief is the one true God, as I christian I see your trying to save them from other beliefs such as athisum, or other relgion because you think your saving them from the lake of fire, which is child abuse, as your comments say your protecting them from the being swayed to other relgions.

I think what your doing is real child abuse you should not even be allowed to mention relgion to a kid, and be telling them you are inherently bad and that your a wicked sinner and you deserve hell, but God sent his son to sacrifices himself and suffer and its your fault, this is the main teaching of christianity I vile to teach a kid this, this is what I was taught and it has caused long psychological damage, from childhood thinking things are bad.

I hope that child will have a better brain and figure it out sooner that is written to control

• Yes, definitely. Until my kid is old enough to determine what is what, (s) he shouldn't hear differing opinions about anything, not only religion. Kids just take it as you give it to them, they can't process information. So it's better if they go by one set of knowledge growing up, whatever that set of knowledge is.

• No because that is how you get the problems we have today. Intolerance between faiths comes from a lack of knowledge. If children were educated on world religions, even atheism, they would be much more understanding as adults. Kids are not dumb either, if someone were to shield them from those beliefs they would either view it in a very suspicious and hostile light, or they would become even more curious than before and try to learn more.

• My parents were atheists. They gave me a Bible when I was 12. I gave it to my son when he was the same age.

• No. Why?

Because there's nothing to "protect" them from. No religion is inherently bad or good.

I'm an atheist. I won't tell my kid, "THERE'S NO GOD." Instead, if he asks, I'll tell him that I don't think there is a god but some people do.

Let kids decide for themselves when they're older, people. Stop with the brainwashing.

• When people are that insecure about what they believe that they get upset hearing opposing viewpoints then the belief that they're insecure about shouldn't be believed or they should do more research about the belief itself.

You can't protect people from information.

• NO. I would encourage them to think.

• — "If your kid was Catholic or whatever"

Your child is not Catholic. They have Catholic parents. Their parents' beliefs aren't theirs. As long as they don't choose a religion or irreligion for themselves, and as long as they are not exposed to the existence of any other (ir) religions, they have none.

Also, as an atheist, doing that would be hypocritical. My entire belief is based on free choice. If I ever have children, I will not raise them with the values of any religion, but not with the values of atheism either. As soon as they understand, I will teach them about the different (ir) religions and why they exist, and they do what they think is the best for them. I find the existence of a god to be very implausible, but some people just need a belief to hang onto when they are down and I understand that.

• If your religion is so weak that you have to "protect" your kids from other people, then you are following the wrong religion. Children are simple creatures, they are innocent, and clean, God made them that way. If your religion makes sense, and you have faith, then you need not worry.

• Absolutely not. I'm a nondenominational christian, and I welcome conversation with anyone of any faith or belief. I don't want my kids to be sheltered away from the world. I want them to know whats out there and how to deal with things that dont agree with their own faith or lifestyles

• Protect? I would prefer my kids listen to other people's statements, so that they are open to the rest of the world instead of closing up to others just because they would disagree. I would always teach my kids to have an open mind, and to not believe anyone just because they said something or if they provide their own version of "proof".

• I tend to think no, provided that they are least of age to be able to critically evaluate such things for themselves opposed to just accepting it because someone in a position of authority taught it to them. Until then, I think they should adhere to whatever their parents teach them since parents usually have their children's best interest in mind.

• This one of the reasons my kids won't religious at all.

• Personally no I wouldn't. I would have to make sure that the religious resolve in my religion is instilled in my children to counteract any outside religious influences.

• With the ease of internet access these days, the kids that want to find out about ANYTHING, will find it out. Trying to police all childrens' content and exposure is a fool's errands these days unless u refuse them internet access at home (which is ridiculous because schools have internet access lol)

• People can do whatever they want with their kids i dont really care. But if i had kids, i would want to them to be open minded and hear all different ideas and philosophies including relgigions. I really dislike the idea of sheltering people, let them go out and hear everything so they can come up with their own decision.

• No because if I had kids to begin with they would already know about Christ and be well educated to what atheism was. So there would be nothing for me to protect them from as they would already know how to protect them selves and have Christ watching over them.

• No healthy debate and information only creates a stronger and more well rounded person. A mind works best if it is open, and trying to protect your children from these beliefs only reinforces them later when they find out for themselves.

• I rather all beliefs were studied at least briefly, like as part of history or something. But if your talking about controlling what children hear from the world around you, that's nearly impossible and not a good way to teach them about the world.

• No I think if anything giving your children info about religion will give them a respect that they may not otherwise receive I think they should be knowledgable about all relegions.

• I'll let him/her make their own decision so I won't protect. I'll explain my personal reasons I believe in God and such, but I'm not going to force them to go to church with me if they don't want to.

• I don't think so.. I think if your going to believe in anything you should be somewhat knowledgeable about others beliefs and religions.

• If your "kid" is a Catholic and you have to protect it from hearing Atheists I think you are doing the whole thing wrong already.

• No.
    Simply because it is brainwashing to not provide alternatives. I was raised a protestant, and while I respect the morals of the Lutheran sect of Christiananity, I myself do not believe in it from a literal standpoint. I believe it's great to make a functioning and peaceful society, but I myself can't really believe in it simply because I don't believe in God.

It's brainwashing if you don't let them hear alternatives.

• Nope I honestly wouldn't care if he or she heard people talking about their beliefs.

• More from Guys
    20