What you think of people that's been living in a country for years and still don't know its main language?

For instance I can't figure out how my friend's latina mother can't try learning English (at the very least intermediate level) after being in the US for 20 years ever since my friend was a 1 year-old baby.

I think it's pure laziness. If I were moving to a country and planning on residing there for long years, I would try learning the language at least.

The woman always excuses it that it's hard and she never has time. I don't buy that excuse. It's been 20 years and you know nothing? I'm not buying it. in my opinion it means you simply don't care.

Most Helpful Guy

• I mean, nobody is under any obligation, but I find it highly impractical. I'm in the Hispanic foods business, so I deal with bodega owners in Puerto Rican and Dominican neighborhoods pretty often, and I'm astounded at how few of them know even any English besides a few words. It makes my job very difficult sometimes because I can't communicate with them. I don't want to quite call it lazy per se, but I agree in that I'd never move somewhere long term unless I knew it was intent on learning the language, just for my own convenience, let alone the convenience of others. But they live in these isolated little neighborhoods amongst themselves, so if they don't feel they need English, then whatever. My only problem is when they look at me like I'M fucking up for not knowing Spanish. Other than that though, it's whatever, it probably causes them way more problems than it causes me.

Most Helpful Girl

• I hate them. There's so many Russians here who have been living in Latvia for like.. millenniums, and they still don't speak Latvian and always initiate convos in Russian and expect everyone to understand. Yet another reason I hate this place. Makes my blood boil.

• Exactly. They're actually making it harder for themselves where you can't even communicate with them.

What Guys Said 1

• Maybe it's a learning disability, you don't know, you shouldn't assume shit. What I don't like is when people go to other countries and don't know a single word of that language. Like, if you're going to go to France for a vaca. and you're from America, you better at least know how to say hi where is such and such, because people are going to look at your translator book, thinking, oh they must be from America, that's not what you want

• The lady doesn't know any English other than ''Hi'', ''Bye'' and ''1, 2, 3''.

• I agree. If I were trying going to France, I would at least practice some before going there.

What Girls Said 1

• She probably knows but just won't speak it. My mom knows, but she hates her accent in it. So she just tells people only Spanish. She can even read in English, which I found out this year. She's sneaky lol

Either way, I don't care because English isn't the official language of the US.
    And do white people know how to speak Navajo, Ojibwa, Cherokee, or other Native languages? They were here for hundreds of years and still learned nothing? I'm not buying it, they simply did not care.
    Since Europeans didn't bother to learn the language either, I don't see what's the big deal.

Personally I would, just because I like learning different languages. I'm currently learning Japanese, I can understand and read a lot of Portuguese, I'm getting good with my Italian, I'm still learning French, and very basic Polish.