Poll: Do you think religions or religious intolerance generates hatred and bigotry?

i. e. do you think that the belief that one's religion permits violence or the intolerance towards others who think differently causes most religious violence.

• Religions
  • Religious intollerance

Most Helpful Guy

• The reactions I'm seeing from this poll make me really sad, cause it reminds me how many people have had very bad samplings of religion.

I'd like to say that I'm sorry for any interractions GaGers may have had with bigoted or hateful self-proclaimed Christian.

People may label themselves Christians, but the Bible said these traits are the way true Christians can identify each other; they are often referred to as the "fruit of the spirit":

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control." Galatians 5:22-23. If you've met someone claiming to be a Christian, but not seeking after with these attributes, then I am very sorry you've had a bad sampling.

Unfortunately, because part of our religion is to not use physical force to maintain our religion, it is not possible for Christians to stop anyone from calling themselves Christians, no matter how far their behavior strays from the example Christ himself gave us to follow.

Most Helpful Girl

• Some people pick and choose what to follow in their religion and twist things to suit themselves. Usually, they aren't nice people inside, and religion or not, they still wouldn't be nice people.

What Guys Said 3

• I wouldn't say it was the religions necessarily, I'd say it was the followers misunderstanding and the religion.

• Most religions encourage brotherhood within their own. That + other religions doing the same thing = division. Division = conflict; conflict = violence.

• Intolerance and violence are two different things. Islam teaches violence, which is to attack and kill nonbelievers if they refuse to convert or submit to Islam as second class citizens. Christianity teaches intolerance, which is you do not accept others' false gods as true and instead you preach the Gospel of Christ to them. If they don't listen, then you move on. Though violence has been committed in Jesus' name, those acts are abominations that were never taught by Christ.

What Girls Said 0