What word do you use to refer to fountain drinks: "Pop", "Cola", or "Soda"?

I tend to use the word "Pop", because I reside in the Midwest. So it's part of our lingo. However, people down south use the word "Cola". What if you were down south & wanted a Moutain Dew? Would you still use the word "Cola"? How would that other person knew what you were asking for?

*know

Most Helpful Guy

• If I wanted a Mountain Dew, I'd ask for a Mountain Dew. If I wanted a coke, I'd ask for a coke. I just call them by their brand names.

• In Dutch, my native language, the umbrella term is "frisdrank", which basically means fresh drink, but I also rarely use that word.

Most Helpful Girl

• I always called it pop because, I was raised up north. Then when I moved down south they would make a big deal out of me saying pop because, they all called it soda. One guy sad he only heard pop in movies and, books...

I'm so glad I moved back up north.

• I had a guy from down south tease me about it. He was buying Moutain Dew & called it "Cola". I've never been so confused in my life.

What Guys Said 16

• I grew up calling it pop but now I try calling it soda, because too many people got confused when I said pop. Everyone knows what you mean if you say soda. I have heard that some people call all soda "coke". That could get confusing, since that is just a brand of soda.

• Pop. Know in some areas it is called soda. But usually cola is reserved for ht specific drinks like Pepsi Cola, Coca-cola, RC Cola, etc.

• I live in the South, and down here all fizzy soft drinks are "cokes." If you're going to go get a "coke" that might mean Coca Cola, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper or whatever. They're all "cokes."

• vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/.../latest

Fizzy drink, soft drink or the name of the drink.

• My family is from the Chicago area... I was at school in Marietta and used the word "pop." The professor looked at me.
    "'Pop?' Where the fuck are you from?"

• I use the term soda pop.

• Only the elderly call soda "pop" in California. :)

• Pop is what we say in Canada.
    Sometimes people say soda.

• I live in the Midwest and nobody refers to it as "pop" xD

We all call it soda, 'round here

• I'm from Illinois & I live in Minnesota. We call it pop, so maybe it's a North thing. What part are you from?

• A lot of my family hails from St. Charles. Not all that far from St. Louis. I'm curious now to know where the line is.

• @Blueeyes81 Lol there's this one highway that separates the North of St. Louis from the bottom with pronouncing LOTS of words!

• i call it pop

• none... I just call them by their name.

• poison

filler

• All fountain drinks aren't cola, so that's inaccurate. I say both pop and soda frequently.

• Soda. I've never called it anything else.

• I prefer "Coke"

• In New York it's soda unless your really old then maybe pop.

What Girls Said 13

• Soft drink is the term we use here =]

• Cola? We say Coke in the South. I usually say coke, but sometimes I say soda. If you want a "soda", and are talking generically we usually say coke. Usually it goes:
    "Can you get me a coke?"
    "What kind?"
    "Dr. Pepper"

• Soda. And that's my final answer.

• I use soda or cola.

• I use the word "soda."

• What's a fountain drink? Is that like a soft drink?

• How would people know what kind of pop you want by saying that?
    Down south, the waiter will just ask "what kind of cola do you want" and you say Mountain Dew or whatever kind. People also say soda here too

• I call it soda.

• I don't know, soda? LOL didn't know there were so many names for it!!! Guess I need to get out more often...

• Where I live we mostly say pop.

• I use soda

• Fizzy drink

• In the south most people say pop but a few people say soda. Not many though.