What language sounds really unusual to you when spoken, in your opinion?

To me it's German. Here is a video.

Updates:
Maybe I should have said "different" instead of unusual, since I don't hear people speak German a lot.

0|0
4|11

Most Helpful Guy

• German? Why do you think German sounds unusual (or different)?
    One language I always thought sounded very strange/interesting/unusual/different is Xhosa:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM5dqjPZVOg

Another language that would be less exotic but you probably also don't hear it a lot is my native language Swiss. It's pretty close to German but because we're a small country, it probably sounds more unusual/different to you than German:
    www.youtube.com/.../watch?v=E3-UfPCubsE

2|0
    0|0
    • Because I don't hear it as often as English, Spanish or French.

That's interesting, the accent or the roughness of some of the Swiss words reminds me of Arabic.

• Interesting...
      I always found foreign languages cool

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 10

• I never get this feeling of a language being unusual. I love to hear what each language sounds like and try to speak it, even the ones that sound really difficult. If I could I'd learn them all, every single language of the world.

1|0
    0|0
  • I love hearing other languages, but the one that sounds strangest to me is Mandarin. There are a lot of Chinese students on my campus and it always sounds weird to me. The other east Asian languages like Japanese and Korean don't though

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm going with three languages Hawaiian, Chinese and Spanish.

2|0
    0|0
  • ebonics

1|1
    0|0
  • There are a lot I would say. I agree I don't hear German a lot so when I hear it does sound Odd

1|0
    0|0
  • Arabic sounds very strange.

1|0
    0|0
  • Most Asian languages, especially Korean and Japanese

1|0
    0|0
  • French to me sounds like they're just mumbling. (And I say this as a trilingual person)

1|0
    0|0
  • what ever Muslums speak sounds like gibberish to me

0|0
    0|0
  • Arabic it sounds so different then any language i know

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 3

• Portuguese sounds so different. It's NOTHING like Spanish or any other I have heard. But it's so damn fucken hard! Like my brain has issues comprehending how to make most of the sounds. Which a funny thing though that I have improved some what. Though that was after I learned some Japanese. So it was like after learning how to say somethings in Japanese it helped me be able to pronounce things in Portuguese.

Just listen to the songs I have examples of it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWIhGM4SDZ0
    www.youtube.com/watch

1|0
    0|0
  • For me it's any African language. They don't sound anything like I'm used to hear.

2|0
    0|0
  • Mostly Spanish, I've been trying to learn Spanish for the longest 😫

1|1
    0|0