How do you fix food you've over-salted?

or do you just toss it?

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on what it is but a bit of potato can usually help a bit.

• hmm.. interesting, I'll try that some time. but at the moment, I don't have any

• What are you making? You may be able to dilute the salt a bit by adding more of what ever else is in it.

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends on what it is. I'll either knock the salt off of it or take a bit of it and experiment with different spices and such to try to even it out. Or I'll smother it in sauce.

• it was lentils.. how do you know the salt off?

I usually add cayenne pepper

• oh, you mean if it's sitting on top of the food? what about after its been mixed in?

• After its mixed in I'll take a bit of it and experiment with other spices to try and balance it out.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 3

• Sometimes you can add extra water and boil it off, but usually you just have to take it as a lesson and try to do better next time.

• its hard maybe add sugar?

• You can over salt food?

• yea. last night I made lentils and added too much salt

• what if you were starving and didn't want to wait to make anything new? ;p

• I was once told by my grandmother if you run cold water over it that would help. never had to try it though.