Why don't sports broadcasting show female athletes' weights?

I've noticed this while watching male and female sports. In male sports, you'll see a weight & height statistic displayed when focusing on a particular player. Example:

Why don't sports broadcasting show female athletes' weights?
Now, if you see a female player in a female sport (softball for example) they usually only give a height stat.
Why is that? It's not morally wrong or anything to display a woman's weight. The exception to this is sports like MMA/Wrestling/Boxing where women HAVE to be a certain weight for a weight class. Why not other sports though? Are they possibly fearing backlash? SHOULD we also display a weight statistic for women's sports?

DISCUSS BELOW!!!

0|0
1|4

Most Helpful Guy

• Fuck you that's why

0|1
    1|0

What Girls Said 1

• Female sports don't have a large amount of viewers/popularity. I'm yet to hear someone make a fuss about how excited they are to go watch a female tennis match, basketball game etc.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 3

• First, I think there are still some gentlemen left in the broadcasting world who won't ask women what they weigh. Second, maybe they just don't think people are interested enough to go to the trouble. I don't agree with that - I'm interested, and I know women viewers would be. Third, I'm not sure the athletes are particularly truthful sometimes so it may be seen as a pointless exercise eg. Serena Williams official WTA profile says she is 155lbs. No way. Muscle is heavy. She's 175 I'd estimate.

0|0
    0|0
  • I see nothing wrong about displaying weight and age of these types of atheletes...

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think anyone cares because (it sounds sexist but it's true) female sports don't usually get a whole lot of viewers. Most people couldn't name even two WNBA teams...

0|1
    0|0