Let's talk animal abuse! Why? Just 'cause.
Is it terrible? Yes, or maybe no. Maybe you hate animals and think they should all die.
Would you step in no matter what? Would you ignore it no matter what?
Let's say this abuse is happening in front of your face.
What would prevent you from getting involved?
Please enjoy my poll options and their random hypothetical explanitory situations :p
- I wouldn't get involved in any case7% (1)22% (2)13% (3)Vote
- The species of animal being abused would prevent me from getting involved (dogs can never be abused but if they're doing it to a snake then who cares)0% (0)0% (0)0% (0)Vote
- The breed of animal being abused would prevent me (love me some Huskies but don't care what happens to the Retrievers)0% (0)0% (0)0% (0)Vote
- The gender of the person doing the abusing would prevent me (if a guy is being abusive then I'm gonna let him do his thing but if it's a girl then I'm gonna shut her down)0% (0)0% (0)0% (0)Vote
- The age of the person would prevent me (if they're old then obviously they know what they're doing)0% (0)0% (0)0% (0)Vote
- The language/accent of the person would prevent me (there's a communication barrier so obviously I won't be helpful anyway)7% (1)11% (1)9% (2)Vote
- I would get involved no matter what86% (12)67% (6)78% (18)Vote
Most Helpful Guy
I would generally get involved no matter what.
That being said, I am MUCH more likely to get involved in a human being abused. Furthermore, people who HATED animal abuse but are MUCH less concerned about human suffering don't impress me. In fact they disturb me. People who claim they would rescue an endangered pet before a human in peril don't impress me. In fact they disturb me. People who flip their shit over Cecil the lion but don't give a shit that Robert Mugabe has presided over the rape and murder of humans in the same country don't impress me. They upset me.
I believe cruelty against other humans is a problem we should spend more energy on, even though this cruelty is perpetrated by other humans. This is not to say that we should ignore cruelty to animals (though sometimes I differ with people about what cruelty is).
Whereas I agree that cruelty to animals often fosters cruelty to people (one of the best reasons to end it, I think), being kind to animals doesn't so much foster kindness to humans. Hitler loved animals. Kit Carson loved animals. Both men murdered children.0
Most Helpful Girl
The "ima stay out of it" attitude is abuse itself.
This is a more extreme example, but I know a family (2 young kids two teens one single piece of shit mom), where the kids suffer severe neglect and occasional physical and mental abuse. Their own uncle says it isn't his business so he "stays out of it. " allowing abuse to continue *is* abuse. If you can stop it and you do not you are guilty.
Best believe I've done everything in my power for those kids.
That same family had two bone thin dogs that lived tied to a tree outside 365 days a year and the day I decided to call animal control was the same day another person reported it.
I'm not gonna call authorities simply bc I think someone's mean to their animal or bc I don't agree with the way they care for it but I damn sure will if the animal is being neglected or harmed.
Whereas some people wanna call ASPCA or whatever because some guy scolds his dog in a loud voice. That's just stupid and I've seen it too much0