"Stop beating that homeless person or I'm calling the cops"?

Why do people feel the need to annonuce to people comitting crimes, that they are going to call the police on them? In what universe is that actually a good idea? Personally, as a paranoid person I would think logically it would be better if you see a crime happening to just call the police but not tell them that you are.

What do you think?

Most Helpful Guy

• Let's imagine what happens if you say nothing:
    The person probably thinks the cops aren't coming so they continue. Realistically, the cops are going to take some time to get there. It isn't an immediate response, as much as that would be nice. In that time, the crime being committed could just get worse and escalate further. 5 minutes, or however long, makes a big difference.

I would argue, however, that it is better to say "I'm calling the cops. You better stop" or "I called the cops-- they're on their way. You better stop" That way it is more direct and they can't really brush it off as a measly warning.

By telling the person though that the cops are coming, the assailant may stop the crime. If it is a homeless man being beat up, the homeless man's life may be saved in the process. Sure, the assailant has a higher chance of getting away, but if you asked the homeless man "Would you rather be beat to death and the man caught, or would you rather live and the man maybe get away?" I think the choice would be clear.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well ya depending on the situation you don't want to provoke it to get serious. But sometimes cops arrive too late. I would be grateful if someone stood up for me.. Any amount of time can drastically change a situation. If you were being beat would you want someone to stand by and call the cops? Or jump in to take half the beating off you? The world needs more brave people that learn to jump in and teach the assholes a lesson not pull out their phone and record it. I would rather die saving a life than recording someones life being taken.

What Guys Said 13

• In most cases your right but in a lot of situations like the one you mentioned the only way to help the homless man immediately other than physical intervention is to threaten with calling the police which actually takes a lot of guts as you risk getting a beating yourself as you can't call 911 when somebody is kicking your head in. Thing I did one time was to announce very loudly at the back of a crowd that the cops were here even though they weren't and that saved this kid from a being put in intensive care and nobody knew it was me that saved him. A few years later a guy from the same group killed a guy in a one punch kills things. He's in jail now.

• I think involving cops in any situation usually makes the situation 100xs worse, at least from all the news articles and stories I've seen.

• That announcement would normally serve to stop the assault.

• Making a scene often brings more people. More people means if you need to kick this SOB as you would be backed up by bystanders assuming he/she started it first. It also serves as a deterrent to the person committing the act.

I would still prob beat that person to a pulp and call the cops.

• To stop them from doing it, as that is more important. Besides, it's better if we can solve our problems without getting the cops involved.

• It's in the hopes of the crook running off scared and leaving the other helpless person alone. If you call the cops and hang back until they come the attacker could have easily beaten the homeless person to death and gotten away.

• I'm confident in my ability to be smart about this. I'd first call the police, then I would try to stop the crime if I thought I could.

• Yeah I guess its to warn them or try and give them another chance.

• This happens where i live, they shout out im calling the cops, then do so and when they arrive the trouble makers have legged it and as soon as the cops have gone the yobs come back.

• Because it may save the persons life to stop the criminals?

• cos it can get them to stop...

• I'll call the cops then intervene , that's when the thug will find out I'm there

• They're hoping the person will stop. A lot of damage can be done before the police arrive. The threat is hopefully a deterrent.

What Girls Said 6

• Yes, I agree with you.
    Depending on the type of person you give that threat to, they may react and make you their victim as well.
    I like to ensure safety for all.
    If you get yourself too involved you can be killed.
    I've seen it happen time and time again.
    Someone dying because they tried to stop violence in its tracks.
    Is it worth leaving behind family and children?
    You can be a hero by calling 911.

• Because threats can stop most people depending on the type of crime being committed. I do agree though, if you see a homeless person being attacked, don't threaten the attacker, call the police immediately.

• because its away to stop it!

• The other day I saw two guys beating the crap out of a pregnant girl so while my boyfriend ran over to fuck them up on called the cops. I think if you let them know you're calling the cops they can get violent... I dunno.

• as a girl i do see how it is safer to just call the cops. but if i was not scared then i would try to stop the guy myself with that saying. because usually making a threat is supposed to stop unwanted behavior.

• Because they think that by announcing they are calling the authorities the person will stop what they are doing...