What, if anything, do you tend to get complimented on in real life?

I recently posted a "how do I look" question (shameful I know), and received a lot of positive feedback which made me feel kind of good lol, but as I thought about it more I realized that in real life I receive compliments much less than I do on this site. I guess it still happens occasionally, but rarely to my face. For instance I went to a wedding this week and met a lot of people, talked, and had a lot of fun meeting new people! After, my boyfriend told me that all of his friends thought I was really attractive, but just never said anything.

Instead I find that in real life people rarely compliment me on my looks, but tend to compliment me on other things of more value. For instance, they will compliment my kindness or intelligence or something.

So two questions for y'all lol. First, what do people compliment you on in real life? Secondly, do you think people are ashamed of making compliments about physical things in public and thus compliment other things that are more socially acceptable?

• People compliment my looks!
  • People compliment my personality/ qualities instead!
  • WTF are you talking about?

Most Helpful Girl

• Since I'm a very open person and I go around complimenting everyone I find attractive, I get all kinds of compliments too. My female friends and I we're not shy at all and we go around asking questions like "out of the group, who would you fuck?" And all of us get compliments lol

When I go out some strangers compliment me too, some are very drunk so maybe that's why they feel more open XD

But I think it's correct, people can compliment other people online and they feel more secure about doing so than in real life.

Most Helpful Guy

• This one girl the other day gave me a back handed compliment which doesn't really count lol but she said for a guy with no eyebrows and who is bald your not that ugly lol.

• Bahaha that's pretty funny though!

• Very fascinating! Thank you!

• Yep no problem.

What Girls Said 35

• i get complimented on my looks by people online, very occasionally in real life (mainly my boobs to be honest).

in real life I get complimented on my wit and intelligence.

I think mny people don't compliment people on their looks because if you do then to most it signifies that you are interested in them. Most people don't want to give the wrong impression or come off as creepy. Perfectly understandable. I wouldn't tell my friend's husband I thought he was fit, that would make them think I wanted him.

• In real life, I rarely get complimented on my physical appearance. Occasionally someone will tell me they like my eyes, hair, or smile but more often than not, I get complimented on my personality and mentality.

As for your second question, I don't know if people are ashamed to make compliments about physical features in real life. However, they may just be more shy to make compliments like that to other people.

• That makes sense, but would being shy not be because they are ashamed, or otherwise think it is wrong?

by the way, I do think you have beautiful eyes! XP

• Makes sense! Thanks again!

• No problem :)

• I picked option nr 2
    the compliments I get that have to do with "looks" are mostly for something I am wearing and that happens quite often now that I think of it... But those are not based on my body/physical appearance, only the "wrapping" lol.
    Friends def. compliment me on my personality/humor/character more.
    My fiance however compliments everything (the whole package)

• It's kind of surprising to me but I do sometimes get complimented on my looks.

I guess people might feel embarrassed to compliment others on their looks in real life because they do not know what their reaction is going to be. However on the Internet, when you post in a rating section, people aren't afraid to compliment you because they know you are expecting some compliments. Nice question by the way!

• Haha well thank you! I think girls get physical compliments more because guys are pretty visual creatures and tend to look at only your physical features... But I don't know! lol

• It was, and I made some of my friends jealous because they really want to go to one lol.

• Hahaha, I bet they were xD

• My hair, generally that I'm pretty (they're nuts, but I like hearing it all the same, lol), my smell, and that I have a "chill vibe" and I'm nice.

I think people do try to avoid complimenting anything that might come across as too intimate or embarrassing, so they go for things like personality and only certain physical aspects.

• I get complimented on my looks. Remember that I work at a bar. Either the alcohol clouds their judgment or gives them courage.
    People seem to like my smile. And hair. And eye shape for some reason as people compliment my eyes and I know it's not for the color.

People also fooled and think I'm nice and a good listener. So they compliment me on that too.

It's fairly equal.

• people compliment me on my looks in real life more than my personality which kind of annoys me i would rather be complimented on my brain.
    On here i dont post pictures of myself so that kind of forces people to compliment the way i think or my mind. Getting compliments on my brain or personality is a bigger compliment than my looks.
    Christina Yang said it perfectly
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...2558f6c7e1.jpg

• Don't really get complimented at all in real life 😟

• I'm sorry for that! I'm pretty sure I've seen you on here a good bit and you seem like a really cool and nice person!

• Why thank you

• I never get complimented. It's usually going to be an insult if anything, never a compliment. The most of a compliment I'd get is 'oh you're not fat' when I am. Other than that, nope. And I never ever get complimented on my personality. I got told by a friend 'you're a very difficult person to love'. Hmm.

• i dont get compliments that often but i do get complimented more on my personality (for being either easy to get along with or quirky) and the things I say (i'm pretty intellectual and culturally sensitive with my views). I never tried too hard on appearance other than cleanliness and health, but when I do try, thats when I get compliments. Mainly on my almond eyes, full lips, or thick healthy long hair.

• I never get compliment! Just on G@G thank you!

• I get complimented on my looks. My personality doesn't appear until I know you a bit better or have decided that I like you, so sometimes people assume that I'm a cold bitch.

• mainly my eyes, hair and that I'm 'fun to be around' lol

• It's an equal tie between "You're so cute" and "You make a lot of sense."

• I get complimented on both but to be honest when they compliment my personality it is the best feeling.

• Mostly my face overall. I am told a lot by men and women that I am attractive, especially my eyes and lips.

I also get complimented on the fact that I go to school in the law field, they automatically think I'm some smarty pants , which I am really not at all lol. I'm not a lawyer or anything.

• 1. i've gotten compliments on my general appearance, name, and writing ability
    2. as far as physical compliments, i've noticed that people tend to stick with something general (e. g. 'you're cute') or they would complement your style (e. g. i like that jacket on you)

• I don't get complimented at all on my looks but I do get compliments on my art (I like to draw and paint and such And write too haha)

• Well that's awesome! What kind of art?

• Oh I suppose I should clarify, do you have a specific style?

You should post a myTake with some of your drawings!

• Nah i don't think so unless creepy is a style. And I have before but got taken down because they thought I was promoting or something

• I get a lot of compliments on my hair, eye lashes, eye brows and eyes. Sometimes I get compliments about my personality like my politeness and patience.

• Strangely more people and on a regular basis have been complimenting my looks and physique in overal. I used to never get any compliments on my looks, always assumed that I was an ugly duckling. Lol so know when people go like woaah you're pretty, I'm like whut?

• Mainly my hair haha and sometimes my eyes for physical appearance and people tend to say I am really unique when it comes to personality, so I take that as a compliment 😛
    As for the other question... I dont know lol I guess is a bit more awkward to compliment in real life coz the person is there, so u dont know what to expect

• I picked A.. but, it's really only my eyes.

• - Me being "nice"
    - And my looks when I make an effort.

• I get more compliments on my personality in real life. Online, it's about half and half.

• I always get complimented for my eyes, mostly cause I am dark and my eyes are light so it is a bit rare. :)
    People are actually very open and quick to compliment me on it. :D

• On my outfits sometimes. Usually in school nobody compliments me on my personality cause they already know me & we don't feel the need to say "Oh you're so funny!" or whatever

• I mostly get complimented on my smile, my hair, my eyes and my body. But at the same time people compliment me on my personality a lot so I guess it's a mixture :)

• looks and intelligence

• I get complimented on my drawings. I don'tvreally get complimented on anything else.

• get complimented on my looks and my clothing lol

• That's nice! That is a pretty awesome shirt after all XP

• More from Girls
    5

What Guys Said 24

• It's been a minute or twenty since I cared what other thought about my physical appearance to be blunt about it.
    I do how ever get complimented often on my creativity and enginuity skills

• I gotcha! Those are better things to get complimented on in my opinion anyway

• @AnOrdinaryGirl45 some time I just have to crack a joke so people don't get too serious lol

• Yes, I know what you mean 😂

• physique (nothing special, but way better than your average dad-bodied couch potato LOL)

Hair... just my whole head (face) in general.

• I get complimented on the way that i carry myself also. Since ya won't catch me "breathing down a girl's neck" ever unless she wants me too LOL.

• Cool! Haha thanks!

• I don't get complimented in real life and the number of times someone has given me a compliment online can be counted on the fingers of my hands.

• I've gotten complimented on my lips and eyes. Lips from girls I've smooched in the past who thought I had nice lips. Oh I've received compliments on my height quite a bit.

• I don't usually get complimented on my looks, but I get A LOT of compliments on my intelligence and knowledge and such. I'm kinda a biology prodigy, so that figures. I also get complimented on my writing and speaking skills and my confidence.
    And yes, people do tend to compliment more easily and frequently online, it has become somewhat like a social netiquette now.

• I get a lot of complements on my looks, but it's usually someone else telling me that someone else has said that.

I think online people are less afraid of confrontation so they can do it without fearing any kind of consequences.

• I have been complimented on my physical appearance in the past and on some of my ideas surrounding work related projects.

• Physique and ambition

• I gotcha! Thanks

• That's probably a good idea... Ugh I may have to start cutting soon. Although I've been losing weight anyway (I don't know why)

• some times on how i look but most of the time its on the way a speak to and treat girls, as well as confidence

• I'm not much to look at, but I'm a fairly likeable guy usually.

• i have been complimented and bantered in equal magnitude on both the parameters u mentioned, dont really think too much of either now, though i was very sensitive till a couple of months back

• Not really the best looking guy here, but I often get complimented on my public speaking skills. Its quite funny actually :')

• Mainly my hair lmao

• There are no compliments, only demands and greater expectations; that is my life.

• A or B, fill

• I get compliments on my hair and how chill and laid back I am. Older women tend to say I gotta nice smile

• surprisingly this week 5 to 10 people complimented me Becz i started wearing formals with a blazer

• I get mostly complimented on my personality

• I don't get complimented in real life

• It's mainly older womem who compliment my looks lol

• People tell me I'm a good listener.

• Personality/qualities. I never really get complimented for my looks (and there's a reason for that).

• Sometimes I get a compliment that good but I dont take them serious.

• It's usually always my smile and how nice my teeth look.