Is chivalry dead, if so who killed it?

Most Helpful Girl

• Not at all, it is alive and well and is still opening doors for me :)

It seems to disappear when I have heavy bags of coal to get in my car though :(

What Girls Said 3

• I don't understand why I have to pick between supporting myself financially or between enjoying having a male be nice to me. If i'm capable of being kind, polite and respectful to a man who supports himself financially aka "independent" then why can't I have the same back and enjoy it.

I know a lot of people say that women killed it by being "independent" or that women "can't have it both ways". They can't be "independent" and have someone be chivalrous to them. I don't agree with that at all. I think I can work, pay for myself on a date and still enjoy having a door held open for me or a chair pulled out for me because i'm more than happy to give the same in return but in different ways.

• It's not dead. Perhaps practiced by fewer and less often than back in the day but I mean... if women want free rights and gender equality, shouldn't they hold the door open for themselves and grab their own bill? :P

• Not completely dead, but unfortunately I see less and less of it.

What Guys Said 9

• Depends on what you define as chivalry.
    For one Chivalry originally had nothing to do with how men treat women. It was an code of conduct for medieval knights during combat.

But if we're talking about the chivalry that every one speaks of right now, then it is partially dead. But again, it depends on what you define as chivalry. About a month ago I had this situation where the train arrived and I hopped on it first and a woman right behind me scoffed at me, telling me I'm a typical '21st century "man" with no chivalry'. I was just perplexed. I still have no idea what I did wrong - all I did was just get on the train. She wasn't old and neither did she have a broken leg so I saw no reason to just give up my place in the line to the door.
    My point being that some women's view of chivalry is essentially being pampered to by men. I'd sooner die than treat women like children. I'd much rather treat them like grown adults that are capable of standing in public transport.

• It's misunderstood. Some women think it's oppressive, some men think it's putting women on a pedestal.

If all men were chivalrous in a genuine way without a hidden motive, and all women were thankful for other men's chivalrous actions, we wouldn't be talking about the "death of chivalry".

• Chivalry is alive and well and as long as I'm alive will stay that way it's practiced by few in today's world and even fewer follow the true code.

• Almost.. But its alive in people raised by grandparents

• Probably Obama.

• Chivalry is still aliv. White knights in today's world are people who do kind deeds without expecting anything in return, and the world has always had very few of these people.

• Chivalry in the sense of a code of honor for Knights? Modern civilization.
    Chivalry in the sense of being a gentleman?
    Feminism.

• Either lots of equal rights or lots of chivalry

• I'm sure your answer is "feminism"