Why are some people rude and not buy an adopted puppy?

I was looking up online about animal shelters and I saw very sad photo of dogs being treated badly which I hope isn't true. Then I saw this photo of a dog holding a sign in his mouth saying why don't people want me? Everyone in here says im a good boy but nobody wants me? It broke my heart why are people so cruel seeing this dog and not have a heart to take him. Also why are there dog shelters if the animals get treated bad?

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• There are a lot of reasons why people can't have a puppy, and not all of them involve those people being heartless.

Some people work a lot, and it would be unfair to a dog or puppy to be home alone for all those hours. Other animals such as cats and fish do better without as much interaction. Puppies especially require a lot of training and care, and it isn't fair to leave them in a crate all day or in the house all day for extended periods of time.

Also, some people are allergic or are unable to have pets due to where they are living. Sometimes it's a choice, sometimes it's not. Not everyone can afford their own home. Plus, they may not be able to afford a place near a park or a place with their own backyard.

I find a lot of times Shelters will put up guilt-inducing narratives to make people want to adopt the pet. They will use phrases like "I'm a good boy, why doesn't anybody want me?". Those are meant to tug at your heart strings and make you feel guilty and want the dog. I like a bunch of these rescue pages on facebook and this is a common tactic. There's nothing wrong with it, but you have to realize that is why they are doing it.

I've attempted to adopt a pet before, it's not always easy to get the pet you want. Sometimes you have to wait a while, and oftentimes there are multiple people applying to adopt the pet. If they don't like where you live, you won't get the pet. If they don't think you are a good fit for the pet, you won't get the pet. There are so many reasons.

I get frustrated when I see people buying pets instead of adopting them. But I realize sometimes people have their hearts set on a specific breed (as it would work best with their lifestyle and living situation), but have had no luck with adopting. Certain breeds are more popular than others, and if you like a popular breed, it can take a long time to get a dog through adoption. Often times people will try and then buy a dog because they lost out on a few dogs.

What Guys Said 9

• Although we had a dog up until last April, our beloved Meg, the terms and conditions in the lease on our flat specifically prohibits owning animals. Luckily, nobody objected and the freeholder of the flats knew, but turned a blind eye.

I'm not sure what would happen if we got another. We would love another one, so maybe after the New Year...

• Well how about you buy them? Oh what's that? You don't have the time and money to support them? Gee, what a coincidence.

• I cannot own a dog because I spend 9 hours at work and 2 hours in public transport.

• You don't know what goes through the head of dog adoptees.
    They may have had bad experiences with people in the past, they may have ended up at the shelter because they were destructive and poor learners or had temper issues.

People really love to make jokes about how their supposedly dangerous rescue pitbull didn't kill nobody yet, that is until they become the "insignificant statistic" and have their youngest child mauled to death.

• well if i can be really honest with you I dont have the money or time to even take care of an animal let alone myself at this current time I am too busy with part time work and college and dont have a lot of money at this point in time so me getting a dog would cause it to suffer.

• I have a dog and i got him from a boy who had puppies and was giving them away on the street in a box. You could say i saved my dog's life. I'm sure he wouldn't have the life he had now ;)

• Why don't you adopt him?

• I adopted a lab... I've had dogs before, but him being adopted makes him the best wingman ever.

• Why would someone get a mutt from an animal shelter that will cost a bunch of money, when they can get a mutt for free? Other people decide that if they are going to pay that much money they want to know what breed it is, so they can know if it will be a good match for their lifestyle. Not all dog breeds are a good match for just anyone, so sometimes it is better to make sure you have the right kind of dog for your family.

I think what you saw was an advertisement to make you feel sorry for them, so you would adopt a dog from a shelter. If they are in a shelter they are commonly mistreated before they got to the shelter, and not while they are in the shelter.

• Stfu

• I don't understand the rudeness. That was very unnecessary and childish. I gave you logical reasons of why people don't want to adopt from shelters.

1 There are plenty of mutts that need homes that are cheaper than at the shelter. Those are the dogs that will end up in a shelter eventually.

2 people may want a pure breed so they know what kind of dog they are getting.

I don't see how that was in any way deserving of your comment.

What Girls Said 11

• Some people do not adopt because adoption cost money, there are way to many rules. First they are charging you for the dog, second they have rules about the living space this dog will have. Plus if you have other animals it makes it harder. Some people don't have the time to put up with all these test/rules. So they just buy a dog from a breeder. I've never paid for any of the for dogs I have. I didn't rescue them from a shelter but I rescued them from being sent there. I had two pit bulls (now I just have one, the other one was put to sleep when she was 11 she had cancer and developed issues with her back legs) which I knew would get put down right away, a husky and a chihuahua poodle mix. Shelters do their best with the funds they get, some organizations do what they can as well. It is what it is, kind of like the situation with children put up for adoption. It's all really sad

• I hate any kind of animal cruelty! People have different circumstances so it isn't always possible for them to own a dog or any pet. Dogs need love, care and attention and not everyone can provide that.

If I was ever to get another dog, I would definitely look around the dog shelters and get one from there... to give it the happy , loving home it so much deserves.. Most people I know get their dogs from a shelter.

• You can't buy a rescue dog you need adopt them.
    But ya especially for puppies, it's a win win. You save a lot of money, get young dog and the dog gets a new home.
    With older dogs I think it's harder people are afraid of losing them too soon and that they might aggressive due to past abuse.

I'm personally not ready to take of anmial for another few years, possibly a decade. I want to travel too much for that

• Because sometimes those dogs are put there for a reason. They could be aggressive or out of control.

My best friend adopted a dog a little while ago. It's a German Shepherd who was doomed to put down to sleep. Turns out it used to be a police dog and I wasn't allowed to enter the room when the dog was there till they locked him up since he could attack me. Eventually it became a sweet dog, but it's a big risk you're taking and a lot of effort.

• They still dont have the right to mistreat them for no damn reason thats sick

• No the idiots tht work there

• I don't think the people who work in animal shelters treat the animals bad. The people who put them there probably did.

• ... people tend to over look bold dogs and dogs or certain breeds. There's shelters because when dogs are rescued from abusive homes that's where they're sent to to be taken care of and hopefully adopted out. I support no kill, I don't support shelters that kill bull breeds.
    I rescued my pitbull that would have been put to sleep if taken to a shelter because she was so sick.

• Are shelters allowed to mistreat animals? If so id love to mistreat the bastards lets see if they like it

• It's illegal and the person will be fired. I worked at a shelter but quit because I couldn't stand putting the dogs to sleep. I don't think a certain breeds should be treated less than another breed and bull breeds are usually put to sleep first.

• So why do i see irresponsible shelters mistreating dogs aren't they supoosed to be fired?

• That just how some people are!

• Many people don't have the time, living space or money for a dog. There's no point adopting a dog when you don't have the resources to take care of it.

• Most people don't like mixed breeds.

• Thanks for making me sad! Lol

I see humans, I don't see humanity.

• Not everyone has the patience for a dog

• Pets are a commitment. Some people can't afford them, others don't have the time or energy. Depending on the place, I think I'd rather a pet stay in a shelter than go to a family who won't actually give it the time and care it requires... as for the shelters themselves, some are better than others. It always depends on the people unfortunately...

• Well the bastards that mistreat them for no reason shouldn't work there.
      The reason why their there is to get treated better