Do you feel like most people on social media are boring and they just try to make themselves look like their interesting?

Like when I go online now a days I see so many people trying to be interesting they all the same. Like I don't know I find most people boring or full or full of themselves what you think and why?

• Yes! (explain why)
  • No (explain why)

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't really think that, I just think stuff happens to them and they feel like posting it somewhere to let others know of it and also making sure that a memory of it remains, kinda like a shared diary of network synced memories.

What Guys Said 19

• There was a study done asserting that most people feel more depressed after being on Facebook by Stanford University. Supposedly. A bunch of news organizations reported it. Ultimately, everyone is trying to show their best side. "Look, I went mountain climbing." "Look, I'm an awesome cook." "Look, I just got a job promotion!" Aside from the occasional self-pity party and negative nancy you can find on FB, who will inevitably learn to stop throwing a self-pity party, because that is not social media protocol and no one gives a shit, anyway, most people are trying to say how great their lives and themselves are. Pretty much no one is going to post, "I just lost my car, because of my gambling addiction." What social media like Facebook is about is comparing your life to other peoples', ultimately.

And that is why I rarely use Facebook.

www.slate.com/.../the_antisocial_network.html

"Facebook is, after all, characterized by the very public curation of one's assets in the form of friends, photos, biographical data, accomplishments, pithy observations, even the books we say we like. Look, we have baked beautiful cookies. We are playing with a new puppy. We are smiling in pictures (or, if we are moody, we are artfully moody.) Blandness will not do, and with some exceptions, sad stuff doesn't make the cut, either. The site's very design—the presence of a "Like" button, without a corresponding "Hate" button—reinforces a kind of upbeat spin doctoring. (No one will "Like" your update that the new puppy died, but they may "Like" your report that the little guy was brave up until the end.)"

• in my opinion there are some people that seem to try hard to make themselves interesting on social media.

Most of my posts on social media are pictures of food and alcohol that I found interesting and tried, or memes that I find powerful/interesting that I shared from other ppl's posts. :-P

• Social media was designed to make it easier to keep in touch with friends etc but really it's just a social status enhancement tool where people engage in advertising how cool they are. It's bullshit.

• I know I just use it to spread or show things I like and to keep touch with people.

• I think it's common for people to pretend, but it's not everyone. How many people use Facebook like an open diary about how shitty their day or life has been? Doesn't make them look good.
    Posting pictures from an exciting trip is just fun to share with friends. That's not to convince people your life is interesting. Unless you went on a trip in order to take pictures.

Majority of people just share it. Has nothing to do with convincing. But I do think it's a good idea to only post things that are "real" and show you in your best light. The very least don't make yourself look like a shit person.

• Yep false marketing has been around forever.

• Yeah its really weird how you see some people post like a million pictures of themselves and they have clearly taken them really carefully or made someone else take them, to make it seem like they did all this interesting stuff, but when you meet them in real life they are absolutely normal and dont even have that many experiences to talk about. It seems like traveling to another country for some people seems to be more about showing your friends that you went to that country, instead of actually experiencing all of the things there. But of course thats gonna happen when you spend 90% of your time taking pictures and uploading shit on your phone.

• Yes, I agree. Some people try to make it look like their lives are so interesting, they're the coolest most outgoing people around. But you have met these people irl, and you know they are a fucking bore. Their social media page is a mask, all false pretense, all fake.

Not everyone is like that since there are people who project themselves and their tastes accurately through social media. But the vast majority try to enhance themselves through it, and it is very pathetic seeking validation this way lol

• lol.. you are just realizing that NOW?

• I kinda knew that didn't wanted to mention it until now.

• lol I agree I don't want to be that woman with different dads for each kid and posting shit of them online I feel like I should ask first before doing stuff. Thank god my mom doesn't use the computer ever I don't want my stuff posted.

• Lol... well good for you ma'am... learn now. Its only gonna get worse.

• I mean you can tell who's desperately trying to look interesting and /or fun. If you know them in person you know how boring they are. Plus they're always posting random, weird crap that's neither.

• Its designed to basically be a who has the bigger dick contest.

I only put on pictures of me naked and rosie o'donnel eating a cake... i keep it on the DL.

• Yeah I can be if I want.

• Yes totally. Such people mostly want attention just to take it as a confirmation thay they are interesting people or "pretty". Such people are so insecure that they need confirmation from other people every day or every few days.

• omg the insecure people there many on this site I just saw a question of a girl asking if her vagina (camel toe) is too big.

• she did but just her camel toe (she was wearing pants).

• You have to be kidding me WOW!

• Yes, it is - which is the reason why i'm not on there... at least if you're talking Twitter. Facebook I use to keep in touch with people.

• yea and they're always saying shit like "you know what I'm done with bitchez/niggaz imma do me and focus on my future" or they're posing and holding 5$ bills and say "I'm makin paper" LMFAOOO

• I'm not aware of trying to make myself look anything, so i dont know.
    Probaly are alotof people like that.

• I know a few of those anyway.

• Most don't even reply. I don't know what they think of themselves. Where are all the manners?

• No, Golden State got a shot of reality though, when Mil. finally beat them. I'm from Cleveland

• I wouldn't say most, but it happens more than I'd like. People should understand it's okay to be boring.

• yeah but the problem is most boring people copy their friends and it spreading there many boring girls and guys its annoying.

What Girls Said 9

• Nah I'm really this cool in real life ;D
    Lol jokes aside of course the internet doesn't project how people are in the real world.. it's because you can pretty much control everything you put online so obviously most people will only post the best things & the nicest pictures of/about themselves.

• People who post selfies all the time are narcisstic and boring.

• I think there are definitely some people who feel they need to have an image on social media and make their life seem fascinating. I personally just post whatever happens to me if I feel like it and if I even remember to post anything :P

I don't feel pressure to let everyone I know about the intimate details about my life. I'm a fairly private person. Some stuff is nice to just share with my inner circle or a select few people.

• I definitely agree. It seems like people post soooo much of their lives on social media it's ridiculous. E.. g a friend of mine posts everything on snapchat. Literally everything!. Its really sad in my opinion.
    In my eyes people shouldn't know what you do 24 hrs a day.

• but hey your serial killer will know and that's great for them :P

• I too am so boring and full of myself

• Yeah I am not bored I pick this life!

• I am cool in rl too :P
    I am cool all the time girl haha

• yeah cause they only share fun stuff when it happens which is always spaced out their life isn't lit theyre just good at making it look like it is

• It's basically a fact that most people on social media make their lives (and themselves) look a lot more interesting and fulfilled than what they really are.

Most of the people who seek such validation on social media are actually the most boring and least interesting people you could know. My least active followers tend to have the busiest lives and most interesting personalities.

• I know I love the ones who post tattoos bragging about it but its like the most common ones like bitch there so many girls with a butterfly above her ass crack your not special. LOL