Do people actually enjoy eating meat?

And I mean just the meat, not lathered in bbq and filled with stuffing. But the taste of the actual meat. And deli meat which has a bunch additives in it doesn't count

I'm asking because I'm vegan and I struggled with cutting out dairy but never ever meat. Even when I was a child I didn't like the taste and I thought bizarre to eat animals. You know as kids you have those books and movies about this idyllic farm life and I could never get over eating that same chicken or cow. I always thought it was gross eating animals and I didn't like the falvor either.
You know in Europe they often serve the whole fish, so a fish in a restaurant looks like a fish, there's no level of abstration. And the rainbow fish was one of my favorite stories, so that was traumatizing.

My parents made me eat it for a long but eventually I was old enough to decide that I don't have to eat meat when I don't want to. And I still don't see the appeal and find it hard to imagine that people actually enjoy it? Or is it more that you're just used to it?

Most Helpful Guy

• I like the taste of it, but I stopped eating meat 40 years ago. I think I made the right decision.

Most Helpful Girl

• I love meat. But also I was raised eating it (I'm Mexican lol). I've gotten a taste of AMAZING tacos, tamales, sopes and pupusas, burgers, tortas, it's in my life style, what we've always grown up eating at home, and the only thing available if let's say I visit Mexico. I've tried going vegetarian, I only lasted 3 months and broke, and the reason was it was hard for me to resist certain foods knowing I've tasted them before and knowing I've loved the taste. Dairy, however, diary is easy for me to resist, I actually don't have that in my diet b/c it's easy to substitute w/ almond milk or rice milk, which is SO much better in my opinion. But meat, I can't substitute that, I've tried tofu and honesty I can't handle it.

• But those are foods that are lathered in plant foods to the extend your barley taste the meat. I had burritos with and without meat, I could hardly tell a difference in taste. In consistency maybe but the taste was about the same

• Lol, I'm sorry but I'm from L. A. where food diversity is crazy, and like I said my parents are from Mexico. Trust me when I've said I've tried meat, not like, "Chipotle" kind of burritos (honestly burritos are more American than Mexican, Mexicans don't really eat "burritos") but bomb, fat, meat filled tacos (without all these crazy veggies added). Meat does make a difference. But also like I said, it's stuck to me because of my culture and how I was raised, now I can't imagine a life without it (and like I said I've tried)

• I'm not American, I don't know what kind of food chiptole serves but here they have this kinda small local mexican street food restaurants that are very good

What Guys Said 22

• Without any seasoning at all? Depends on the type of meat.

Wild game like deer, reindeer, elk, grouse, free living sheep, and so on taste great without seasoning. Regular meat like pork and cow taste dull without seasoning.

Also, fuck regular salt and pepper! For wild game you want juniper berries, rough grained sea salt, and other goodies like parsley, thyme, ramson, and so on. Also, use proper butter.

Salted and long dried sheep meat taste amazing too. You just need to let it lay in water overnight before using it, or it'll just taste like salt! Then you grill it over direct fire, or steam it. Especially the ribs are great for this, and separate each rib completely. For best steaming you put sveral layers of birch sticks (without the bark) on top of eachother, fill it with water, and put the meat on top (the meat is not supposed to touch the water). Tastes amazing. Called "pinnekj√łtt" here in norway

• Why do you think pork is so popular then? I agree, I think pork is the worst. Beef I kinda get.

"like parsley, thyme, ramson, and so on" but that's just my point, most people drown their meat in plant foods. I love the taste of parsley and I would like the taste of it on meat but I wouldn't like the taste of meat by itself

• easy. Because pork is easy to mass produce.

I mean, good luck mass producing reindeer. Especially since the unique taste comes from the food they eat, and the lack of fat comes from the constant movement. Donmesticating it would ruin the taste.

Seasoning done right is not meant to reallly be noticed. It's meant to enchance the flavors of the meat. Most people do not manage to do that, and instead end up with meat tasting like seasoning.

• There's nothing like a rare steak that's been broiled or grilled. Pink in the center and juicy. No need for any more than a pinch of salt and some ground pepper. Mouth is watering just writing this post.

• To be honest, I think it is a little bit of both. I truly enjoy meat because I have a large appetite, but it is also a mental and cultural thing that also makes me want it. I do agree that the level of abstraction what with supermarkets and processed meats is a bit unhealthy, and that maybe if people knew just what went behind their meat, they would be more likely to respect and appreciate it. Personally that is why I'm a strong advocate of hunting and/or raising your own livestock, since the process helps you to realize the true cost of meat and thus respect Mother Nature a bit more.

• " because I have a large appetite" what do you mean? Because I feel when I have a large appetite, I'd like to eat a massive bowl of pasta, mashed potatoes or fried rice.

Ya I would consider eating eggs again if I had my own chickens, though I could never kill them. And I feel if you can't do it yourself you shouldn't have someone else do it

• Sometimes a hardworking man has a hunger that only red meat can satisfy. Or fried chicken for that matter. Although again I concede that nurture and culture also plays a part in my desire for meat.

I take delight in hunting my own ducks because I know that I earned them and that shooting them actually is more humane than the way they are treated in processing plants. Helps me to appreciate Mother Nature more. I would hunt even more and raise my own animals if I didn't live in a non-rural area, which is a large part in why I'd like to leave CA soon.

• Hell yeah! Protein gains! 💪💪💪💪

• meat is delicious!!! i hate condiments so i like eating plane meat. i'll never get veganism. like, i get some of it, but it really doesn't make a lot of sense if you think about it. but hey, i can't exactly fault you for not liking the taste of meat and simply not liking eating animals. i respect that over people who think it's some kind of god given right or think they have a moral obligation to not eat animals.

• how does it not make sense?

• when we can't get enough calories from other sources, just like chimpanzees

• it was an analogy to show that we canine teeth have a function, but aren't used for it's original function, just like nails. nails are pretty much a decoration instead of a type of claw

it's actually a pretty decent show. it's a survival show and they are fairly trained survivalists with survival backgrounds so yeah, it's pretty fair and comparable. many of them are x navy seals, tour guides, rangers, you name it. they don't just plug your average joe off the street

you talked about the baby killing the chick. a baby could, but won't. again, i can kill people, but don't. we aren't machines

yes, vegans/vegetarians survive everyday because we've allowed conditions to where you don't necessarily have to survive off meat. however, it's obvious that meat provides certain vitamins and proteins that you can't find in plant products if you don' supplement them with vitamins

i don't get a lot of potassium. i don't eat bananas, but i'm not gonna play stupid and deny its necesity importance

• I ate only unprocessed meat and eggs for nine months a few years ago.

My teeth went from having cavities to being perfectly healthy, and I had almost zero fat on my body.

I don't recommend it, because I got hypothyroidism from restricting nutrients like iodine and folic acid, but it shows how good it is to cut sugar out of your diet.

I really need to go back on a zero sugar diet, but with vegetables.

• I also had no blood sugar swings/crashes.

• Well I'll have to take your word for it. Are we discussing news channels now?

• News sources

• Yes, I do enjoy meat with the proper seasoning and properly cooked/fried.

• I can't even imagine how a juicy chicken breast would be heaven. Or a pink bloody steak wouldn't be mouth watering.

• right? I think chicken is just the worst thing ever. It's just tasteless, why not eat tofu instead?

• ya it's tasteless, just like chicken

• Well for one chicken tastes great? We have very different pallets. Two chicken is a better source of protein. Something I need a lot of. So for me it wins out. I do eat Tofu in some things though.

• I love meat! Even without all that extra stuff I still love how good it is!

• I'm a meatatarian, so I do enjoy eating meat

• I don't like meat that mich except chicken

• yes, i do. i think many people get over it. they may not eat their dog, but meh... humans arent' rational.

• Rib eye broiled with salt and pepper medium rare. Mmmm mmmm good

• Hm I guess it depends what kind of meat Im sure there s some meat I like to eat but I mostly eat chicken cuz Ima chicken.

• Yes I love meat!

• I know girls love sucking on meat

• I'm enjoy of eating junk food it;s delicious but unhealthy (

• why would u struggle with cutting out dairy? u can drink almond milk

• It's not the milk, there are good alternatives for that, though they tend to be kinda expensive. It's the cheese, I LOVE cheese. And I know it's not good for you.
      I've never had the soy cheese stuff, it's frankly to expensive and it's essentially just oil as well. Also milk powder or whey is in a lot of products where you might not expect, like cup soups, margarine, cereal, some baked goods...

And vegetrarian labels are very common here, vegan not so much, so when you buy something like I don't know vegetables burgers you have to read all ingredients

• Raw meat tastes disgusting. I need my meat to be properly seasoned and cooked.

• I love it, yet, I'm an animal lover. Does that make a bad person, no, just makes me an omnivore. You shouldn't hate on people for their own decisions

• i like meat especially raw

• A tenderloin steak with just the addition of a little salt is absolutely delicious. Not only that you get a mild euphoria for hours afterward. Your body's way of saying "yes, do that again".

What Girls Said 8

• It's good that you found a diet that works for you because of your preferences. But it's not okay to judge other people's food decisions based on morality. Many people have dietary restrictions due to health reasons like allergies, intolerences, or other factors. Is it really fair to say you find their life bizzare or gross just because they're different than you?

• i love meat!

• I do enjoy eating meat, but not a lot of it. For example, I put a lot of vegetables on my pizza, and if I do put meat on it, pepperoni would be my only choice. I'm not that big of a meat eater myself. I occasionally eat it.

• Ya I used to be like that as well. I used to eat meat when it was there, but only certain kinds and mostly the processed kind like pepperoni or salami because it tasted best to me. So then eventually I realized I don't like the taste of pure, unprocessed meat that much, so why bother?

• I understand. I wouldn't go vegan or vegetarian though.

• Yes, hamburgers are delicious

• Nope, I'm vegetarian.

• Yeah broiled meat doesn't taste that great but its much healthier

• I do enjoy eating meat such as seafood, and chicken, but I don't like the taste of red meat.

• Yes i enjoy the taste of meat...