Do you think it's a bad thing if your friend won't be there for you through your mental illness?

I understand that a friend isn't obligated to be your therapist but doesn't it show that that person isn't truly your friend?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it's a bad thing. if he knows.
    Like, my friend is going through a depression, but we've been talking and talking, and it really helped. He's pretty much as happy as he used to be

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, it's not good for friends to leave when times get tough. I mean, you shouldn't treat them poorly because of your illness, but they shouldn't just leave because you have it either.

What Guys Said 3

• I've lost all of my friends due to my mental illness. I suffer from PTSD, alcoholism and depression thanks to my time in afghaistan and have very little contact with old friends.

I know its not all their fault though as I've become extremely withdrawn and prefer to spend my time by myself.

• Most of your friends aren't truly your friends because when it's no longer in their self-interest to be your friend then they'll abandon you.

• It shows that your friend is a human being who has his/her own life.

What Girls Said 2

• Entirely depends on the extent of your illness and how it affects your friendship with them. They're not obligated to stay by your side if you somehow make them feel bad, or otherwise don't treat them as friends because of your mental illness. Such as constantly flaking out on plans, never listening to what they have to say, being a bit of a Debbie-downer, taking out your frustrations on them, not being able to be happy around them etc. I suffer from depression and anxiety myself, and if I started doing the things I just listed (I have actually done those things, but rarely), it wouldn't surprise me if they left me.

• Yes, I think it's bad.

The true test of any friendship is whether that person is there for you or not when things get tough.
    If the person distances themselves... you have to ask, "Was that ever truly my friend?"
    True friends offer their love and support.