Being called weird: insult or compliment?

I personally love it but so many people think it's an insult, why? lol

Most Helpful Guy

• Compliment. In my book weird just means not normal and who the hell wants to be normal? Normal people are boring narrow minded and usually have no better than mediocre intelligence

Most Helpful Girl

• Eccentric, quirky, weird... I'd take it a a compliment.

What Guys Said 17

• Considering I've been called weird plenty of times before by people (aka @xnicholemariex3 ), I'm going to pretend weird is just another word for unique, interesting, or perhaps special-in-a-good-way.

Since I'd rather be complimented than insulted, I'm going to interpret "weird" as a good thing. It just means out of the ordinary, and if it doesn't mean creepy, it is a good thing, right?

• Lol yes Randall weird is a good thing 😊

• Lol weird is normal, I am renamed as 'Psycho' by few people (Aka @MissNowHere) , got to admit I adore and love it.

• Usually you can tell the way it's said. If it's, ''you're so weird'' and their face is of contempt. Usually not a compliment. But if it's "you're so weird with a smile on their face". That's a compliment.

• What if it's a text?

• @Heyyakk Depends. If it's just ''you're weird'' without any additional information it's vague. If it's, ''you're weird with a :p" it's positive.

• depends on what you think of the person that told you that... lol

i had one person call me weird (in a bad way) one time - he was the most boring person in the world. I looked at him and said "why do you think your opinion means anything to me? I'm freaking cool! - you put people to sleep - bye!"

• Today some guy in my class said: "the people don't wanna sit adjacent to you cause they think you are crazy aka wierd" I said maybe I am weird yeah it's cool and those people are boring.
    A third of my class hates me or tries to fool me cause I don't know they r retarded, added that a few in my class were bully victims at their older school I can tell that I don't care much about it even tho I listed all that information comming from my observation. Busta rhymes

• Meh, being weird is awesome

• Yeah today another guy on my class.. we were watching a movie and the fat guy was about to rape a young girl and about to kiss her.
      "He is gonna devour her *nom nom nom"
      "Put ketchup on it aminakoyom"
      It was not me but dat was funny and well placed

• Hahaha it's hilarious XD

• It's compliment, it define the uniqueness about you

• 💁🏻 I keep my weird side hidden

• Depends on how they say it. If they imply I'm creepy, nada. But if they imply I'm unique, yay!

• it can be both... depends on the situation and the way someone says it.

• Depends on the context I guess.

When people call me weird it's always in a positive way.

• That is a compliment mostly. at least in my experience. You could say that it also means original ;)

• compliment

• I think it depends on the person. I wouldn't mind it either.

• You do know that weird people make the best friends right? :D.

• It means special, so I take it as a compliment.

• I don't like it...

• Your name is relevant here

• I've been "weird" without trying to be for years and years and years. At this point I put measurable effort into appearing normal and trying to fit in. So I'd be insulted, yes.

What Girls Said 19

• I take it as a compliment. Normal is boring :P

• i'll take it as a compliment, with a cherry on top.

The context and tone of how one uses the word "weird" can really depend on whether it's an insult or a compliment. Sometimes how the person interprets it can also play a part

• I don't care either way.
    When someone tells you that almost all of them will phrase it as an insult - that's why people take it as one.

• I don't care... I'll take whatever compliment.

• The word "weird" used to mean that something was wrong with someone, something maladaptive. Before then, it had something to do with things of a dark, macabre nature. So the definition of that word evolves throughout the generations. If someone was a creeper when I was growing up we called them a weirdo. In another 20 years it may mean something else entirely.

• It's a compliment to me. Everyone is a little weird. Some more than others 😑

• I'm not weird. I'm just fabulous in the most unusual ways.
    media.giphy.com/media/lkimmXChcxgBeL7Uc/giphy.gif

• It depends on the context haha but it doesn't really offend me 😜

• Depends, it can be both :P

• I get that all the time.
    whatever they actually meant, I ll take it as a compliment :P
    means they can t handle me I am too cool for them haha XD

• I get told I'm weird all the time. I think there's good weird and bad weird. Good weird is someone who is quirky and unique, bad weird is the dude jacking off on the bus.

• Weird is odd and odd is apart from the world :D I think its a compliment.

People who want to "fit in" and not "stand out" are the ones who think it is an insult.

I'd like that insult xD xD

• I dint think it's necessarily an insult. It's only an insult if you believe it to be.

• I don't know im weird af always have been. i suppose it depends on who/ with what intent they're calling you weird.

• I'm a weirdo

• Well it depends I will only get offended if someone says it like their disgusting with me or their tone doesn't sound kind. Its all on the tone of voice.

• I always take it as "You're not funny"

• Depends on who & how someone is saying it.

• many people say it as an insult but actually its not.