Has there ever been a time when, looking back hours or even days later where you realized, "I could've died back there."?

So it's a simple question, has there ever been a time when perhaps you slipped and caught yourself, thinking nothing of it, but later realized you almost fell right into a speeding car?
Riding four-wheelers back home I had quite a few of those experiences, many of them had to do with pulling wheelies where I shouldn't have been pulling wheelies.
Y'all got these stories?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah I have. Like that one time I tired to do something bad which I shouldn't talk about because it might upset other on here.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes... though I didn't do anything stupid, it was just an accident. At that time I lived in a small apartment-studio as an exchange student abroad. The studio had kind of two floors but the second floor was a gallery, so it was open. Most of the living space was downstairs and upstairs on that gallery I had my "open bedroom". It was actually a really awesome place to live... not very big but very cozy. From my bed up on the gallery I could look down to the small kitchen and my desk, which was fun ;-). Anyway, one Saturday morning I got up and wanted to go downstairs to take a shower. The problem was that the wooden stairs were extremely steep, narrow and they didn't have a handrail. I have a visual disability and I'm blind on my left eye. On that morning I must have seen something wrong or... I don't know what exactly happened but I tripped and fell downstairs over the side of the stairs. Everything happened so incredibly fast, I think I didn't even have time to scream. I fell head first and suddenly felt a really terrible hit against my chin... like a hook to the chin in boxing. Then I remotely remember my temple hitting the wooden floor. I must have been unconscious for several seconds but when I woke up again, I realized that I was bleeding like crazy from my chin... the blood was going everywhere (I later needed some stitches). However, much more scary than the blood was what happened to my memory: it was all gone. I have never ever experienced this before and I sincerely hope I will never experience it again. It was probably the scariest thing I've ever experienced. Basically, I had forgotten EVERYTHING. I didn't know where I was. I had no idea how I had gotten to this place or why I was there. I couldn't even remember my own name, my age or any other personal information about myself. I couldn't remember my parents or my siblings... it was all gone.
    Later, in the emergency room of the hospital I got thoroughly checked and it turned out that I had been very lucky. My brain had gotten a bad hit but it was all just temporary. After a day or two, all the information and memory came back and I don't suffer any irreversible injuries from that accident today.
    However, it was only a few days later, back in my studio-apartment, when it suddenly hit me how lucky I had truly been. Because the part that I had forgotten was that most of the energy from my fall was taken away by my chin crashing onto the kitchen counter. Although I did crash on the floor with my

• afterwards, most of the energy had been absorbed by my chaw. Considering I fell down about 2,5 meters (roughly 8-9 feet) and considering I crashed on the floor with my temple first, I can be extremely lucky that I hit that kitchen counter so hard. Had I fallen down all the way without hitting the kitchen counter first and directly on my head, I would now be either dead or most likely be severely mentally disabled. So yeah... in German we would say in this situation "Glück im Unglück" (good luck in a very unfortunate situation) ;-).

• Wow. That's really close to dying man. Could've gone wrong any number of ways.

What Girls Said 3

• I've almost been driven over by cars way too many times. I'm so careless when I cross the streets it's actually crazy... My friends are always so damn worried for me cause of it. 😂 Also when I was cycling once I cycled right into the car's side 😂 Had I cycled a bit faster I would've ended in front of the car instead and been driven over by it.

• Yeah. I had been crossing the street and this large truck popped out of nowhere and almost got me, but I felt something pull me back, dodging the speeding truck. I was so freaked out my knees started shaking then.

• Usually when I'm driving. I'm a downright faggot when I drive sometimes.

What Guys Said 1

• Nope never. I once slid on the highway and did a 180 than a second 180 in the opposite direction, I saw cars sriving towards me and it was the closest I've ever been to death and I was completely over it in like 10 minutes. I still told people about ot because it was a unique experience but I never thought about it like "holy shit I almost died!" Or anything like that