What do you think about the link between video game and violence?

Most Helpful Guy

• their is no correlation, all the people that do things irl and blame it on games are already mentally messed up before they play the game, the point of games is to get out of reality and the parent/carer should be the one who decides the games the individual can play, otherwise its like giving a cereal killer a handbook telling the basics of getting away with murder.

i helped someone when i was just a kid because i was allowed to play call of duty 5 and watched people in game put pressure on a wound, and little me copied and stopped a kid bleeding after he sledged into barbed wire.

Most Helpful Girl

• There isn't a clear connection between the two. Granted children can learn behaviors through observing the violent actions being done in video games but there's also the fact the games are fictional and not very relatable to real life.

• Children aren't supposed to be playing those violent games anyway, which is why there's a rating system, so only the parents are to blame, period

• @M_A_X I agree with him hahah when I was like 10 anything that was rated teen and above had to be approved by my parents 😂

• @M_A_X @Thatweirdone_ true, but there are still fighting games for kids. I had a cousin who's mother refused to let him have anything to do with Pokemon because it was too violent even! So I think it depends on the parent and the level of "violence"

Interestingly enough in my psych class we learned of a study where people would play a video game (some violent, some nonviolent) and afterwards I think they "shocked" a person (?) (it was fake. And I may be mixing studies up) and the ones who played violent video games were more likely to shock the person more than the ones who played nonviolent ones. But there's a lot of conflicting studies too, so violent games may raise aggression, but not by much.

What Guys Said 16

• What link between video games and violence? There isn't any.

• Hmm... Videogames have been shown to reduce violence and crime.

Religion has been shown to created the worst violence and horror in the history of man kind. Everyone wants a ticket to heaven at the expenses of the world.

• It has been debunked numerous times. It does not exist. There is not even a correlation, much less scientifically confirmed causation.
    The only thing that may arise from video gameplay is a slight increase in aggressive behavior, but lest we forget, aggressive behavior does not mean violence.

• What I wonder is why the same correlation isn't ever applied to violence and movies, or at least not as often. I mean movies get pretty graphic and rhe effects actually look real games, as advanced as they are, still look animated. Kust to make it clear I don't think there's a correlation between games and violence or movies and violence I was just making a point.

• I dont beleive it exists.. I grew up from nintendo (not snes, freakin nintendo) i have been playing games for most of my life... And im not violent one bit... U should be more worried about how todays youth are becoming addicted to technology

• "What do you think about the link between video game and violence?"

I think it's nice how violence has gone down ever since it's creation.
    videogames.procon.org/.../...ncevideogamechart.jpg

• I think it is very rare link. The person would have to have a predisposition to violence to be turned violent. I've played violent video games most of my life, yet I am a very peaceful person. I also have a pacifist friend who plays violent video games and he is still a pacifist

• I play video games (but i'm not a freak and i don't play everyday) and i think every games should know the diference between fiction and reality. People always talk negative about videogames but you learn a lot from them.

• there isn't a link. If anything, video games probably reduces real life violence, because people are able to vent it all through the virtual world instead of the real one

• from research i did for a school paper back in high school the link is that people who play video games are less violent than those who don't

• I think society is the real link to violence, but the type of video games they have these days they aren't helpful either.

• There is none.

• What do you think about the link between books and violence?

Let's burn all the books!

• It's nonexistent. I play lots of violent video games, but I would never commit unwarranted violence.

• It's bullshit. Rather drugs and violence even tho it only suits to certain people

• I don't think there is a link.

What Girls Said 5

• Nope, the brain can tell the difference between real violence and fake violence.
    You can however become more desensitised to violent scenes than the average person.
    And another thing, games usually keeps violence more down than usual because it gives them something to do, gang violence by teenagers for example is most often caused by boredom. So games is more beneficial at preventing violence. But there are of course exceptions.

• I think its riducles... no such thing!

• I believe there is a link between video game violence and desensitivity towards violence in real life but not in committing violence. Only those with mental health issues would re-enact violence from a video game or any fictional media.

• I think it makes people desensitized to violence. I don't necessarily think violent video games can lead to someone being violent but I definitely think the generation now isn't as phased by violence in the media or movies as people once were.

• To be fair, every kind of violence in any kind of media desensitizes people to violence.

Really good answer though.

• @M_A_X I meant to say like when you hear a story on the news of someone being beaten or mugged, people don't really seem too phased by it. It seems to be kind of a normalized thing now and I'm not sure if that can be directly correlated with how much violence is shown in video games and movies.

• There's no link 😂😂