Working with a band crew?

I know I have a lot of free over summers. I love a lot of pop-punk music, and I'd be interested in working as part of the band crew for some of the bigger acts, even if my job was simply loading crap on and off of the van. I'm a really short skinny girl, so I don't look like I can lift a drum kit, but I can, and I have some talent playing guitar, so I can tune it rather well. I'm very hands on, and I kind of fit the "dykes are good at building shit" stereotype (bisexual though) so I can rig up lighting, and wire things. Knowing this, does anyone know if I could get a summer job as a walk on, hanging around after concerts, either now or in college?

What Guys Said 1

• So basically, you are looking at becoming a roadie?
    They have websites for finding jobs, like at http://roadiejobs.com .

However, I can see some problems arising.
    Being able to set up a drum kit is good, but that will only get you so far. Guitar talent may not get you too far either unless you have a decent amount of experience at the tech work behind it.
    Some roadie jobs require degrees in stuff (audio engineering) while some require expertise. Many people know how to put together a drum set or tune a guitar, but is there something that sets you apart? Like being a guitar tech, and actually having true experience?

Taking into consideration that you said you are a "really short skinny girl," chances would be improved if you had something else in your toolbox rather than saying brute force.

Age is another thing to consider. I don't know exactly how old you are, but I'm sure they have an age restriction on it all. There is sure to be alcohol (maybe other drugs around too) so people may only be looking for over 21. If not, they may be looking for over 18 people only. I can't guarantee that but it is definitely possible.

One other thing is travel. Roadies often help people on tour, and that requires lots of moving. I'm going to guess that where you are in life wouldn't allow you to just get up and move around, especially for only a summer job.

What I may suggest doing instead is looking for volunteer oppurtunities if this is something you really want to do. It is kind of like an unpaid intern. Even then, there will be restrictions and stuff most likely, but it won't be as demanding as a paid roadie.

I don't want to discourage you from doing what you like, but I just want you to be aware of some issues that may be more than what you are bargaining for.

• That is real good advice. What volunteer opportunities are there?

Last line made me think of Fall Out Boy "Am I more than you bargained for yet?"

What Girls Said 0