Compared to music 10 or 20 years ago, or later, do like today's music or music from yesterday?

• I think today's music is better than yesterday.
  • I only listen to today's music.
  • I listen to both yesterday and today's music and I like both.
  • I think yesterday's music is better.
  • I only listen to yesterday's music.
  • Today's music needs serious improving.
  • Yesterday's music needed serious improving.
From a musician point of view here is what I find about today's music and lets see if you agree. I find the melody becomes to repetitious due to its lack of melodic dynamics meaning there isn't much melody to it so they try to get creative by repeating things such as the notes over and over and that's one. I find today's music is severely lacking in arrangements, the much needed arranging is completely missing and alternatives music is a fine example of it when all the do is constantly strum -
Continued:

distorted power chords all the way through the music non stop and in many cases there isn't even 8 good measures of lead or much of a bridge if not missing altogether and the melodies are so elementary a first grader could do better at it. Compare some of the older music noting the things I've pointed out.

Most Helpful Girl

• I voted D..

but, I'm not sure how accurate that is.

I mean.. maybe the music from the 90's I'm exposed to, is only the really good stuff? and the stuff from the 2000's I remember, is also, only the best they had to offer...

While in the last 5-6 years... while there is some very good music.. I also still remember all the bad...

• I feel today's music is missing a whole lot of talent and creativity and that it's only being put out there for money purposes. I knew it couldn't be getting old because my ears are for the most part timeless when it comes to music. And when it takes having to turn a concert in to a sexual attracting or having it be about the lights the fog and all those other visible effects or in other words anything but the music, something is terribly wrong with that picture.

• You are exactly right. No one remembers all the crap music from the 90s anymore - you only remember the great songs, because that's all they play anymore. Time has filtered out the crap for the most part.

The 90s had TONS of absolutely horrifically bad R&B music, many of which were topping the charts - but you don't hear it anymore because it was crap then and is crap now. Some of the stuff from that era that you DO still hear wasn't all at the top of the charts, but it has staying power because it was always quality music. Time has a way of exposing the truth.

Contemporary music will always suffer from a low signal-to-noise ratio, because time hasn't had a chance to filter out the crap yet. But 10 years from now, when they're ONLY playing the best songs from this era, this era's music will seem a lot better than it does now...

• @MrOracle True and but there is nothing no music worse than what they're calling country music these days which has no roots at all and doesn't even remotely relate to country music except some john wearing a cowboy hat with a beer in his hand or a tobacco in his mouth to give a illusion it's country music. I can't even listen to 3 minutes of that fake wanna be noise.

Most Helpful Guy

• 90's and 80's music was the best, today's music is mostly no good.

• And there is a good reason why you feel that way, refer to the reply I made under Other_Tommy_Wiseau's comment.

• My reasons are not related to music I grew up with, when I was a kid, I wasn't much into music.

What Girls Said 4

• Cat Stevens will always be superior to any music artist in today's day and age

• so like 1990s music? I think I like 90s music more.

• 70's rock for the win.
    Today's music is so generic & dull...

What Guys Said 7

• i'm mostly listening to metal and hard rock.

And they're different. Both are great, but they're different. Luckily the metal and hard rock scenes are not really affected by the crap from pop music and all that.

• I primarily listen to heavy metal genres from bands that were popular in the 70s-90s, but some of them are still around.

I listen to plenty of modern rock though, and by that I mostly mean early-mid 2000s alternative/pop punk.

• I voted D, the odd track from today is alright but it's mostly nondescript dross written by pretentious little pricks.

• Music hasn't really moved on much in the last 20 years, if you only listened to old stuff (i. e. 10 years ago) you wouldn't miss anything in my opinion.

• wow, I'm looking at the results... today's music takes a hammering!

• Yes it does, refer to the reply I made under Other_Tommy_Wiseau's comment. In fact I'm going to use it as an update so nobody has to search for it.

• today's music is fine. yes, there are songs other than the shit on the radio. also, to say that "yesterday's" music was some godsend that was absolutely perfect, that's the biggest myth ever. the difference is that you remember the songs y'all liked. also, it's a nostalgia thing. you like songs you grew up with.

• Yes I like the music I grew up with but my opinion wasn't meant to be biased. From a musicians point of view here is what I find about today's music and lets see if you agree. I find the melody becomes to repetitious due to its lack of melodic dynamics meaning there isn't much melody to it so they try to get creative by repeating things such as the notes over and over and that's one. I find today's music is severely lacking in arrangements, the much needed arranging is completely missing and alternatives music is a fine example of it when all the do is constantly strum distorted power chords all the way through the music non stop and in many cases there isn't even 8 good measures of lead or much of a bridge if not missing altogether and the melodies are so elementary a first grader could do better at it. Compare some of the older music using the guidelines I've listed above and see.

• I understand. Just pointing out those things for comparisons.

• no worries, dude! i understand what you're getting at too.

• There is garbage from every genre and time period especially 90s alt rock (pun intended) just as there is amazing music from all genres and time periods. People that complain about how shitty music is today dont listen to music and/or are lying to sound intelligent and dignified.

• No people's complaints are legitimate I read those complaints from youngsters constantly under the comment sections of the older song videos on youtube. See the reply I made under Other_Tommy_Wiseau comment.

• Hmmm...
      Not sure I really agree with your assessment. At least not completely haha. Like I said before, there are bands from all times and ages that had no melody, just as there are those that do. I'm not really sure what your argument is.

• I certainly agree there were bands from then and now having no melody. But not to the degree that it is today the majority of what they play which I think it's the real problem. Both then and now is that those the real talent is purposefully being over looked and shut out in the name of profits.

• Yesterday's music is better. But some of today's music isn't bad. It depends on which music.