At what age do you stop referring to someone as a young lady?

My guy says over 30.

If the woman is over 30 but looks younger than that he says , "young lady".

Most Helpful Guy

• I would say it is more of a relative term rather than a number. What I mean by that is that it depends on the namer's age vs the one being named.

Example: Let's say there is a woman who is 35. It would be very strange of me to say to call her a "young lady" considering I'm 19. However, an 85 year old person calling her "young lady" wouldn't be that odd in my opinion.

I think of calling someone "young lady" being used as a way of calling a girl significantly younger than you.
    There is no age for it specifically, but I mean-- a human's lifespan is limited... So in that sense is limited.

What Guys Said 11

• i think it more depends on teh age of the person using the term. for an 80 year old a "young lady" could probably be anyone 55ish and younger whereas a 30 year old would probably have to have it be someone 15ish and younger

... so it really depends

• A woman I know in her 90's calls all females 'young lady'... lol, it's all in your point of view.

Me, I never use the phrase, too many fembottery types near my age would object, and it seems the next generation, late teens or early 20's, thinks it makes them sound like a child, so.. I never use the phrase except when talking to the 98 year old woman who doesn't understand any other term for most females...

• It totally depends on the person and the context and how well I know the person. I have used it with friends in their 20s just joking around but I don't think I have ever used it in a condescending way. Some time ago on here I saw a "how do I look" post by an under 18 anonymous, and I said something along the lines of "You look like an attractive young lady with the potential to grow into a beautiful woman in a few years."

• So according to you a young lady is under 18?

• If you didn't know a womans name and you were speaking in a sentence to someone about her. How would you refer to her? "The woman", "the lady " or "the young lady " if she appeared under 30 ?

• Well from a professional stand point I always ask their name so I am not in that situation. If not in a professional situation I have been known to use "ma'am" more than once but I think that is just the military crap coming out.

• I have never called anyone that. It sounds condescending, and being 5'6'' I'm not in any position to be talking down to people.

• I think from the age of 30 you are not a "young lady" anymore ahah. Still young tho but not that young

• I say that to some of my old school friends who are the same age as me

• After 19 , i think. haha.

• No. I will not say like that. she is not a young lady.

• I'd say 22

• Anything above 9 is too old for my taste

• If you're not 15 years younger.

What Girls Said 5

• WOW! I am not sure! I still think I need you to call me by my name!

• In English I never call anyone young lady, but in Spanish I call women younger than 30 years "seƱorita"

• That sounds like an 11 year old getting scolded or something. If someone younger than I am called me that, I'd think they were crazy.

• 40, cos I will be hitting 30 soon lol

• 22ish, I think.