Do you know how to swim?

I don't and want to learn 😑

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• yea I used to be a competitive swimmer before and might joing the swimming tean in univ this semester.
    plus I live like 10 min, I took swimming courses at the age of 5.
    it s fun go for it you ll love it girly ^^

What Guys Said 32

• Actually, swimming is easier than going under.
    "Swimming relies on the natural buoyancy of the human body. On average, the body has a relative density of 0.98 compared to water, which causes the body to float. However, buoyancy varies on the basis of both body composition and the salinity of the water. Higher levels of body fat and saltier water both lower the relative density of the body and increase its flotation.

Since the human body is only slightly less dense than water, water supports the weight of the body during swimming. As a result, swimming is "low-impact" compared to land activities such as running.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_swimming
    ---
    The average density of the human body is 985 kg/m3, and the typical density of seawater is about 1020 kg/m3. (a) The average density of the human body, after maximum inhalation of air, changes to 945 kg/m3.
    www.chegg.com/.../average-density-human-body-985-kg-m3-typical-density-seawater-1020-kg-m3-average-density-h-q2656243
    ---
    When a diver wants to stay under (if he's not weighted with heavy air bottles) he needs a leaded belt. I needed some 3-4 lbs of lead to stay under water without getting tired from fighting against upward propulsion.
    Remember the Archimedes' Principle: it indicates that "the upward buoyant force that is exerted on a body immersed in a fluid, whether fully or partially submerged, is equal to the weight of the fluid that the body displaces."
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedes'_principle

That's why swimming is easy. My son swam when he was 3 yo.

• My dad had a pretty effective method of teaching my little bro and I how to swim - by absolutely never allowing us to use any inflatables or jackets. Never. That's how imma gonna teach my kids. They will never get to experience how it is to have something suspend you above water. They'll be doing that by relying on themselves and themselves only.

• The hardest part is having the confidence to know that you can float on water without having to do anything. If it's salty sea water that's calm, it's even better. Best place is the Dead Sea. Also people with more fat tend to float better.

Don't use floats or other aids. They will just give you a false sense of security. It's also better to enlist the help of someone you really trust. Not necessarily a brilliant swimmer. The trust is more important. Even better is professional lessons.

• I can but not a good/strange swimmer I probably if I had to.
    I remember a program on the tv once a about a lifeboat crew for the RNLI were one of the crew said a few of them can't swim and when asked what happens if something happens out to sea to you?
    he raised a good point when her said " well where you going to swim too?"

• Yes! I was on a swim team for a bit once

• I know how to swim, took lessons since I was about 7.

I'm a very strong swimmer due to experience! :-D

• Yep. I remember my dad just throwing me at a pool or a lake when I was young and that's how I learned how to swim

• Yes I've been swimming since I knew how to walk pretty much. I was so young that I don't remember learning. I grew up around a lake. Hell I'd teach you how to swim if I knew you personally.

• I do know... but I'm not a good swimmer since I'm allergic to chlore.
    Most pools use chlore in the water as a desinfectant. I could go swimming but I may start sneezing or have some tears in my eyes afterwards :-(

• I was a swimming instructor and lifeguars, made it to supervisor status. I can do my best to help you online

• If I were you I would take lessons at a community centre rather than a private swim school, usually have better instructors and those instructors are usually supervised.

It is fairly easy once you get confident enough to submerge yourself. Also one of the most important skills is to learn how to blow bubbles. It seems weird but it is a very good skill to learn. One way that you can do it is through the mouth, but it is the most wasteful for retaining your air and sort of wastes energy. He second is through your nose, a bit better but still most of an unrelaxed method.

One of the best way I was shown later on iny instructional time was to hum under water. You have to close your mouth and air comes out of your nose to prevent water going up.

Once you learn that you can start trying to float. I would suggest first on your front. Face in the water totally face down, arms can be out, legs out, and completely relax. Relaxing is one of the most important aspects. And exhale, or hum

• Yes i do and i love it! Matter a fact i was one of the best and fastest swimmers of my highschool being able to swim 33 laps in only 20 minutes time in an olympic pool. We had to do this for our final exam. I think this was in 2012 :)

• I don't.. I've tried to learn, but I just can't. I went to lessons when I was younger.

• Yea. There's a lot of water around where I live so everyone learns at a young age.

• it´s pretty easy :D you can learn it in a day or two.

• Like fluently?

i know how to swim but im not a pro.. and if i was stranded in the ocean and had to swim id last a good 2 hours before getting tired of swimming

• Yes I swim well.

• Nope but I am jacked, So whenever I am around pool. I just lay near on those chair thingies and shoe off my jackedness. Mirin OP?

• it's ridiculously easy

• Yes! I was taught at a very young age! My parents actually dunked me under water a lot to get me over any feelings of fear about being underwater

• yes i do..

• I do and U DON'T?

• Yes of course I do

• I live in an enclosed city with not many rivers or lakes, so I don't know how to swim as well.

• I live in New Zealand.
    Can't go a summer without chilling at the beach.

Of course I do!

• We're in a same boat 🚢😢

• I've know since I was 3. I can help teach you!

• I'm an excellent swimmer, I just can't swim underwater though.

• I can do a bit of a backstroke but if I fell off a boat I'd probably panic and drown.

• I do. I practiced swimming for 8 years.

• No, i don't :(

• More from Guys
    2

What Girls Said 29

• Isn't that obligatory or something? I had swimming classes offered from my elementary school when you're about 8 years old.
    I don't really like swimming though. I think I have some kind of underlying water fear from my childhood. Now everytime I go swimming I breathe differently so I get out of breath extremely quick.

• No I don't!

• Yes! Learned when I was a kid.

• Yes I can swim. Definitely a useful skill to have. Swimming is also very fun :)

• Yes, I was a competitive swimmer for 8 years back in the day... I think I can manage not to sink.

• Yes it was an obligatory sport when I was in Elementary school so they made us learn, most of us knew how to swim before the age of 8, I loved swimming and was in a swimming club but I had to stop after getting an ear surgery :/

• Yes, I do know how to swim. 🏊

• I don't. I'm extra afraid of drowning and I've had a few bad experiences which has hindered me from learning. But I'd like to.

• Nope I do want to learn tho and I risked myself so many times bc I loveeee water parks and well they ask you if you could swim obviously so you won't drown and I just said yea and well I'm alive but I do recommend to learn bc I actually almost drowned 2 times and well it wasn't nice at all. But yes if you love parks or anything involving water I would probably say yes learn how to:) ask around if there's centers that show you :) goodluck!👍🏼🤓😌😊

• Yep. I'm decent.

• Yeah but I'm not a good swimmer. Haha

• Yes I have known how to swim since I was 2 years old. I'm a water baby who grew up on the ocean and lakes.

• yes. i am a very experienced swimmer and was on a swim team for several years.

• Yes, I do 🏊🏽 I love swimming 😛💕 And not just in my bath 🛀😂

• Yes im a beach girl, I've learned swimming with no swimming coach, when i was at the beach and my friends left me to swim to the deeper half anw they helped me that day and im pretty good in swimming now i don't wanna be in kids zone anymore 😩

• yup im a pretty good swimmer if i say so myself

• Nope I don't know how to swim.

• I swim 120 laps freestyle of a 50 metre pool almost daily.

• No I don't

• I do and I love it

• No, I'm afraid I'll never learn. :/

• yes I can swim

• I loooove swimming, miss it at the moment.

• Yes, I do.

• I learnt when I was a kid

• Yeah but I am shit at it.

• Yes I can swim. I didn't learn how till I was 11-12 years old.

• Yeah and it can be fun. My mom used to always tell me that I'm such a good swimmer and she would say that I'm part fish. Last time I went swimming, I said "I wish I was a mermaid. Is that even real or is it just in movies like Ariel"

• Not very well but enough to get by if not trapped at sea