Do most of people who drinks alcohol in the usa don't drink to get drunk?

Are people in the usa against people who drinks to get drunk? And I want to know why in a country where people want to be stoned on weed? It doesn't make sense to me that people in the usa are against people who drinks alcohol to get drunk where people wanted marijuana legal to get stoned?

Most Helpful Girl

• Oh trust me... They do drink to get drunk in the USA... Just walk to a university campus you'll see... And their Spring Break holiday is literally dedicated to getting drunk...

Most Helpful Guy

• A much higher percentage of younger people drink to get drunk, but far from all. Drinking to get drunk is a lot more rare for older people.

About 30 years ago or so there was a huge political and social awareness campaign to decrease alcohol related car accidents. Driving cars, and the freedom it gives, is a big part of American culture. Spending lots of time driving, just for the sake of driving was, and still is a big thing. Combine that with excessive drinking by youth, and it's a deadly combination.

So a big campaign was started to reduce drinking and driving, and reduce heavy drinking in general. Drinking and driving was targeted, wild parties at colleges were targeted, things like drunken date rape were a part of it. Generally, all the stupid and downright dangerous things that people do while drunk was targeted.

This was when the "designated driver" term was coined. This was when the drinking age was raised in almost every state. Selling alcohol to minors was also targeted. The law began to seriously go after any store that sold to minors, to the point where stores wouldn't sell to anyone who looked under 40 - just to be safe. I get asked for an ID more often now than I did when I was 17.

It was also at a time after the very heavy drug use of the 70s. So it was part of an even broader campaign that it's OK to be sober, it's OK to be drug free.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 3

• I don't think that a majority of people in the USA want to get high on marijuana. A vote on a referendum for legalization of medical marijuana is not an indication of how many people want to get high.

Most Americans are tolerant of people drinking in moderation but they do not condone drinking to excess or driving while under the influence of alcohol. Be careful that you don't judge the US by what is portrayed by the media.

• It has to do with America's religious heritage which is, for better or for worse, inherent in the nation's fabric even despite having a secular government.

In this case, America was/is primarily Protestant which for a long time, possibly under the influence of Islam, was opposed to the consumption of alcohol. This is why we had Prohibition and why many sects replaced wine with grape juice.

Now even though Prohibition was overturned and religion doesn't dominate American life anymore as much as it did in the past, there are still certain elements of it that implicitly influence our thoughts and attitudes, like the weirdness toward alcohol.

• Its more about the individual person than the whole country... Some people drink to get drunk.. Some people are strongly against drinking.. Some people are against drinking and still smoke weed.. Some people drink and are against weed... Its really about the person, or the group of people... I would think its like anywhere else, everybody is different...