Which puppy should we get?

So my family is planning to adopt a puppy soon, and each of us have a different opinion on the breed of dog we want. Thought it would be interesting to start a poll here.

Do explain your preference 😊

Someone here mentioned there is more to the choice than just looks, so here's some additional info.

The puppy will be living with my Sister and her family in Las Vegas. They have a 3 bedroom house with a yard. The family consists of my sister, her Husband and my six year old Nephew. Their concerns are that he should not shed too much fur, as my Brother in law can get allergic. Also they prefer a dog that is child safe... They are both Doctors, so lead extremely busy professional lives.

Most Helpful Guy

• In Vegas you should have common sense and not get a husky which is a dog used to way cooler temperatures. Don't get a dog to torture it with those temperatures.

Dobermans and Pitbulls require an experienced dog-owner. They can be the sweetest, but if handled incorrectly can also turn aggressive.

Labradors and Schnauzers are quite similar in being energetic and family dogs. Schnauzers are a bit more affectionate and sensitive though. As original shephard-dogs and due to my own personal bias I would get them as while they tend to be a bit stubborn, if handled with love and the occasional strictness they are great dogs to have.
    Giant Schnauzers have also been used for over 60 years as border-dogs in Germany. They are quite suited for it as they smart, very human-oriented dogs, but also very protective.
    If you should decide for a Schnauzer you will also have the choice between miniature, middle and giant Schnauzer. They aren't very different as even a miniature Schnauzer could still breed with a giant one, etc. Mostly the size difference.

My unfortunately now deceived one during winter-time:

http://www.bilderload.com/daten/svenja17Y8HC.jpg

Also some additional mentions: If you get the dog, NEVER TAKE IT TOO EARLY FROM THE MOTHER. This is something which happens again and again and is often also encouraged by the breeder. JUST DONT DO IT. It can cause psychological as well as health issues. Yes, they might be cuter as puppys, but that's not everything.

You also want to aviod cutting the ears and tails off. There is no benefit of that if you crop the fur regulary - which you will have to do if your brother-in-law can turn allergic.

Some additional informations about dogs in general:

- Usually female dogs are easier to handle than male ones for beginners. Keep in mind, dogs are hierachy animals. You and all the other humans NEED to be above them and only then you can cuddle and pet and love them as much as you want. For female dogs hierachy is just a tad bit less important than for male ones.

- While dogs do have an own personalty, they are still the result of its owners. If they misbehave it is usually because of you and no one else.

- Let the dog decide. Aka go to (a) breeder (s) and see which dog reacts strongly to you. Those are almost always the best choices as animals usually have a finer nose to see who is compatible.

• - You need to go out with them regulary. Just letting them in the yard usually isn't enough. The best bet is to train them to drive with a leash and bike - and if you have areas where you can, even without leashes (forrests, etc).

- In case you want to read (a) book (s), dont take everything to 100% granted. Its more important that you are you instead of trying to be what those advise books tell you. As I said - dogs have better noses. They will know, if you try to be someone which you arenot. Always have to be yourself with the dog and just add a thing here and there (Like you have to remember that you are always the leader of the pack and sometimes dogs try to see how far they can go. Similar to how children do it. Then you need to show off a little).

- Generally you do well to see dogs as kind of middle-aged children with part of their own personality who need space for that to develop, but also need to put some limits.

• And last but not least due to my Schnauzer bias from a german dog-website:

"The Schnauzers personality: He has a lively temperament, but can also be quite calm cautious. His character is good-natured and at the same time alert. The Schnauzer is also very playful and is in a very specific way clingy to his people. Admittedly he is sometimes headstrong, but also a real personality. He is not the type of absolute obedience, but very loyal. Furthermore the Schnauzer is friendly to children, incorruptible to strangers and no barker."

• Deceased, not deceived >.<"

Most Helpful Girl

• Obviously the dog that both fits in the family breed wise and personality wise. Considering they got a kid, dont take a pitbull. They need special care and someone that can handle them ( I don't know how experienced they are with dogs ). Husky's need lots of exercise ( considering their busy lives, not an ideal option ). And the others I don't know much about. So research on dog breeds. What do you want, what type of family do you have etc. Any dog can be child safe, depending on the owner. It's just that some breeds are more likely to be less 'safe' cause they were breed for hunting / fighting / protecting.

You might want to visit a breeder/shelter and take the whole family with you. Does everybody like the dog? Does the dog like the family? If so, go visit it more often to build a connection. See if everybody still likes it after 3 visits or so. 'Cause you're gonna be living with it for 10 years +.

Good luck!

• That's great advice! Visiting the puppy thrice before making the decision...

• Yeah just an idea You can take whatever time you need get to know the dog. It's better to be 100% sure of it then regret it later.

It's just, people tend to buy dogs on impulse. It's cute/lonely etc. based on these things. Buy it and later find out it's not the dog for them. It causes lots of stress in a family and if worst comes to it the dog hurts someone/something and gets killed/given away to a shelter to be there for the rest of his life.

Anyways good luck :) hope you guys find a great puppy.

• Thanks for MHO

What Guys Said 14

• My advice is not to get a dog in the first place.

If they're both doctors, then they will not have the time to give the dog adequate enough attention, exercise, and structure. Every dog you listed needs a LOT of attention and exercise, and all of those breeds are child safe. A pitbull needs to be socialized like crazy, dobermans need to be socialized too, Huskies need like 10 miles of walking per day minimum, Labrador's need to play games of catch/seek/hide and seek to properly stimulate their brain and function.. in fact, the only dog that would be a good choice (all things considered) is the schnauzer since it's just a stupid little companion dog.

Don't get a working breed if you can't work it, is my opinion. They should consider just getting a cat, since dogs need a LOT of work.

• ETA: I guess I should ask.. how often are you and your other relatives going to be interacting with this dog? Or are you just asking us what your sister and her husband should get for them personally?

• don't get a dog for its looks, you have to get one that suits you the best. The Siberian Husky is a great dog your house is probably big enough, but you live in Nevada that's way to hot for a Siberian Husky, the husky has a very thick fur coat so you have to live some where cold, when you think of the husky you think of the snow not the dessert. All the other dogs you listed are probably great for you though.

http://www.northwapiti.com/images/ReStart.jpg
    Siberian Husky's are made for the snow and not for the dessert

• Of the choices you have provided along with the stipulation put on dog temperament and the air issues , # 1 seems to be the best fit.

• There are a few things to consider. How much time will the be able to spent with it? Pit bulls and dobermans need strong, active owners. Same with huskies. Additionally, they should think about their home insurance as it can be cancelled with some of these breeds.

I am partial to labs myself. They have a lot of energy, but they love kids and can be trained easily

• I have a husky, so that is what I choose. They are very gently, nurturing and friendly dogs. They are very intelligent quick learners. They may look intimidating to some people but they're soft as a brush. They can be funny too; my husky likes to howl and I swear, it sometimes sounds like he is talking!

• A border collie. As in my profile. Very intelligent, easy to train and very loyal.

• The husky!

• Whichever one u love the most and whichever one loves u the most

• all cute but I need that husky <3

• You should NOT get a Husky in Las Vegas, with that heat its practically torture to the dog.

• Siberian Huskys are my thing ! Love to have a pet wolf.

• husky, nice and cuddly

• 4 & 5 both

• Labrador or Husky <3

What Girls Said 16

• it really depends on what your family is like, how much time do you have to exercise it, give it attention, and train it? dogs like huskys and doberman (pitty's too probably) are high energy dogs so it'll take a lot to tire them out.
    labs, dobes, and huskys are are usually pretty smart, and easy to train, because they're working dogs. Schnauzers are more stubborn, and im not really sure about pittys.
    dobes are really good with their family, but are usually shy with strangers
    labs are pretty much always friendly with everything
    not too sure about pittys, huskys and schnauzers though.
    of course this also depends on the personality of the dog
    i have a dobe, and she's a huge goofball. very loving, semi obedient because we got her at 1 yr old from as a rescue. she's good with most dogs 1 on 1, ( but not little ones) and she plays too rough in a pack. she used to be really skittish around strangers, but she's gotten much better. she's 4 and has calmed down a lot, but she still needs 2 good walks a day, and lots of play time in the yard.

• Actually what might work well for them is a poodle, they're hypoallergenic (they have hair not fur) they're very friendly dogs, smart and train easily. They also come in different sizes and they make great family pets

• I'm crazy about pitbulls, but if you're adopting, you probably won't get a "pure-bred" or whatever. The breed doesn't matter either, you're adopting a dog to be part of your family (I assume), so just get any that catches your eye.

• Sorry, my mistake. We are not adopting, but buying a puppy...

• I just read the update: if you won't be home to take care of the dog, don't get one. It will get lonely and it might not only affect it but your family as well.

• Hmm you might be right. I see a lot of comments here saying that...

• "They are both Doctors, so lead extremely busy professional lives."
    I don't think they should even have a dog in this case, unless they have a dog sitter. They should really get cats instead. Much more species appriopriate.

• siberian husky! they are goregeous!
    i have an American akita and samoyed, and they are the best dogs!
    akita:
    www.dogsindepth.com/.../..._american_akita_h07.jpg
    samoyed:
    d21vu35cjx7sd4.cloudfront.net/.../

good luck!!

• Siberian Husky

• Pit bulls are great dogs if raised properly. I know the stigma attached to them but I love pit bulls. We had one while I was growing up his name was kacey, I used to feed him dryer lint and Popsicle sticks, I was 3!

• It would be so nice if you could adopt, there are so many good dogs that could make you the happiest! :)

• I dont think the dog's breed is that important tbh, try to choose a dog that would feel comfortable in your house, if u have a small one, dont get a big dog.
    Oh and I think is much much better to adopt from an animal shelter or something coz those dogs NEED a home :)

• Siberian Husky I love them :D

• I have dachshunds / sausage dogs and they don't shed much at all, as long as you just brush them sometimes and bath them, they don't need a lot of exercise, less food, etc. They are really cute too :)

• Get a pomsky!!! Husky Pomeranian mix. They look like husky pups forever!

• Jack Russel terroir! So much personality, are active but also enjoy their down time. Can be long hair or short hair if you're afraid of to much malting :)

• Schnauzer they are absolutely adorable and I always wanted one. :)

• That Schnauzer is just too cute.

• Pitbulllll 😍

• Well there's more to breeds than just looks, make sure you research traits typical of the breeds you're interested in and make sure it's a good fit for your family. For example, if your family is very inactive you won't want an active breed, or vice versa. Make sure you can meet that specific breeds needs!

• Very true. I just put up an update

• Yeah I heard that as well, and was apprehensive. It's my Brother in Law's choice. He says they are great as "nanny dogs."

• They are. In fact, when myself and my siblings were children we had a family pitbull. My mother would let me and my siblings (all toddlers) play front yard unattended because the dog would growl at anyone trying to approach the fence and bark to alert my parents if one of us fell and got hurt or somethin, and I'm not exaggerating even a little haha. Pitbulls are fiercely loyal.