New year, new you?

Do you indulge in the false idea that you'll actually reinvent yourself in an extrodinary way at the end of every year?

Or do you remain level headed and know that it's a bunch of bologna and that you'll stick with it for maybe a week, if that, before you're back to old habits?

On rare occasions it can actually be an effective motivator for someone to change their life around and develop new habits, but more often than not its just a cliché saying to tell anyone who will listen, even when you and they know you'll remain the same for the most part.

But some years you just NEED to lie to yourself about all the grand ways you plan to turn your life around, make it matter, just to make it to the new year. That's the kind of year 2015 is concluding to be for me.

So fuck yeah am I gonna say "new year, new me." Because if I don't, well, the new year may not be as long as a year.

0|0
9|14

Most Helpful Guy

• I try and set realistic goals. Something that can be obtained and expanded on. I think too many people set the bar so high, that there is just no way it can get accomplished

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• LOL see i do that every freakin January then by February I'm just like "eh I've got all my life" 😂

i do actually try to spread out my goals over the course of the year though. whether i achieve them or not depends on my mood. :P

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 13

• I kinda look at myself as a work in progress some years a lot of change other years snail pace change. The last 5 years or so a lot of stuff outside my control happened, I feel I have completely changed, fingers crossed I think for the better. Anyway 2015 was a slow return to normal and 2016 will be first year of normal. So really ask me in 12 months if the change was as big as I thought it was. The scary thing and quite odd to say at 46 but I think I have actually may have finally grown up in the last couple of years so maybe all the crap had a purpose.

0|0
    0|0
  • The new year is certainly going to bring a new chapter in my life as things are about to change drastically in a week or so...

Not sure if it'll be for the better or worse, either way it'll be a new chapter.

1|1
    0|0
    • Drastically? Care to expand on that... ? 😮

• Officially signing the intent to sell/buy papers for the family business so after we completely finish all the paperwork then it'll be time for something new. Hopefully, I won't be working 6 days a week anymore...

• Oh that's exciting! Hope it works out to be a better change :)

• Life is all about self-honesty.

The dawn of the new year has the focus on the future as opposed to the present- where you are and where you want to be.

As long as you are honest with your goals and make plans towards them it eliminates regret or being down on yourself in the future.

All the best to you in 2016, and beyond :)

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't get the new year resolution thing. I mean I would understand if they wanted to set new goals from this new year to next new year eve. But I don't honestly believe people actually try to change following their new year resolutions. I mean if they wanted to change, why not start today? Right now? To me the New Year is like a reflection of what I did during the past year. Whether I've achieved my goals or not.

0|0
    0|0
  • Different year, same shit.

0|1
    0|0
  • Only thing that's changing is getting a job and being able to do squats and deadlifts now.
    I'm going to try to go to the gym more regularly, but that's based more on my knee finally healing up than the new year bull.
    Generally New Years resolutions suck.

0|0
    0|0
  • One time I made a resolution not to make any more new year's resolutions. After a few years, I ended up breaking that one too XD

But seriously, this year I'm going to make a resolution of getting a job in 2016 that is related to what I've studied. Job searching isn't a very encouraging process, not to mention how difficult it can be for graduates, but it's something I'll have to do.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope same person, same goals, same ole me.

0|0
    0|0
  • No I never try to change because of the new years when I change I change because it just happens.

0|1
    0|0
  • I have stuck to one resolution that was back in 2013 I joined the gym after a long break

0|0
    0|0
  • It has to be a different me. Doctor told me so, lol so I'm shooting for 240 down to 160 by July

0|0
    0|0
  • This is exactly why I don't like GAG, people like you

1|0
    0|0
  • Hopefully by then I'll have the situation I want and I'll come back to GAG to terrorize once again lol :P. Not really a new me though. I'm still the same person. I do intent to do some things, but people who want to change who they are as a person are often times sheep. Besides believing in stupid shit like new year's revolution is pure ignorance. It's a high that quickly fades around the spring of the year. They are not changing shit. Just lying to themselves.

0|0
    0|0
    • It's a tradition to lie to yourself at the start of a new year.

What Girls Said 8

• Lmao! I love the last paragraph. I keep telling myself I'm going to lose weight. But that still hasn't worked out. It's not baby weight anymore D': lol...

0|0
    0|0
  • I HATE this saying. Like I really do! If you turn into a "new" person every year, then you're a) fake as hell or b) you haven't found yourself yet. Either way, "new year, new me" is dumb. Should you be improving? Of course. But there are people who try to reinvent themselves every year and it's like... come on bruh.

0|0
    0|0
  • No SAME ME!

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't wait for new year to make changes if I want...

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't even do resolutions. I don't need a new year to change myself if I want to.

0|0
    0|0
  • Some things will definitely change, but I am expecting the new year to be just as shitty as every other.

0|0
    0|0
  • New Years is simply another day as far as I'm concerned.

0|0
    0|0
  • For me it's nonsense. One minuet past midnight & I'll be the same smoking swearing douche bag I've been all year :)

0|0
    0|0