Are sexist jokes funny?

Are sexist jokes funny?

There's an interesting article that puts forth that sexist jokes are in fact harmfull. http://freethoughtblogs.com/brutereason/2013/05/01/does-sexist-humor-matter-a-review-of-the-research/
or if you'd rather in the words of the huffington posts "Only problem is, harm was meant by it, because sexist jokes are not funny -- they're hostile" link
A
nd this is a staple of feminist thought. That sexist jokes are harmful so what is up with the jokes propagated by the feminist movement such as #killallmen or the coffee cups marked "men's tears" these are not only hostile, but knowingly and intentionally so.
see http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2014/08/08/ironic_misandry_why_feminists_joke_about_drinking_male_tears_and_banning.html as an example.

I'm interested in the Feminists oppinions here. Is it okay for girls to tell sexist jokes but not men or is it wrong, and if it is why is it so prevelant in the feminist comunity?

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 7

• no NOT TO ME!

• Offensive jokes are the best jokes 😂😂 but thay being said my sense of humour isn't the greatest and not everyone understands it hahah

• Just use the joke around people who you know are open minded. Don't use sexist jokes with strangers.

• I find most jokes funny, whether they be racist, sexist, even a bit of tasteless humor.

• Mostly no...
    ______________________

• I do not think most are funny. Or maybe they were the first 10 million times but most jokes are overplayed and worn out and serve no purpose but to hurt. Didn't read your articles but came across this video the other day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP7OXDWof30

the message basically being that language IS powerful and the way men learn to talk about women determines how they treat them. And similarly the girls learn how to expect to be treated

And I do agree often those jokes aren't really meant as jokes, a lot of those guys believe it. And frankly I'm tired of being told I should learn to take a joke when I'm angry about the fact that a bunch of guys commented "get back the kitchen" and "make me sandwich" under a girls post that was running for student union.

And of course it shouldn't be on sided

• "And I do agree often those jokes aren't really meant as jokes, a lot of those guys believe it."... no, they're 95% of the time meant exclusively as jokes

• @Doofey you make so many assumptions that you then get upset about while failing to address the points I actually made. You're basically arguing with yourself.

For example "By the way men are the largest victims of violence in the US. We must really look down on men right?" you're reversing the statement, I never said anything about the reverse being true.
      Though I wouldn't outrule it. Yes the US has a problem with violence and possibly another symptom of that is the large number jokes that downplay violence

Just one example frankly, I'm a little tired of always correcting your assumptions. I also at no point changed my mind about anything, just failed to comprehend what I wrote. So go on arguing with yourself

• You nees to work on comprehwnsion. None of your points were ever supported by science or fact. I pointed that out. What actual valid point have you made? Your main idea has no evidence. You have no evidence of jokes being symptom nor causing anything. You did say "societies that look down on women are far more prone to rape and violence" so of violence against women is connect to looking down on them why osn't it the same for men? Get it? Sadly every time O point out a ridiculous scenario you actually seem to think that's a cause. Please show me the studies that show spikes in violence is correlated with spikes in violent jokes. If you can't you have no evidence. you actually did change your mind because your main point was that sexist jokes caused sexism. It lead to rape. Just as your video implied. Later on you said these jokes were a symtom of the problem. Which is it? The cause or the symptom? They are not the same thing. I think you are the one who lacks comprehension.

• Yes why not? As long as it's a joke..

What Guys Said 23

• Many within the feminist movement - the hostile women who get labelled as feminazis, the ones who tend to be most vociferous - are not interested in gender equality. They are interest in female suoeriority which they seek by both elevating females and denigrating males. All that they say can be discounted as merely being the result of their only partially disguised hostilities towards men.

• "There's no such thing as an appropriate joke. That's why it is a joke." -Michael Scott

He's wiser than any politically correct asshole will ever be.

• I think sexists jokes against both men and women, are funny if meant as a joke, not saying something offensive and then try to avoid complains by saying "it's a joke", like the "kill all men" is clearly not a joke, they just said it was because they gotta keep the "we're about equality" mask.

Dark humor is the best when it's meant as a joke, like I said before, but don't try to use "it's a joke" to get away with offensive comments, like many people try to do.

• People (especially women) don't seem to get that it's just a joke. It's not a statement of your political views, it's not a statement about your beliefs, it's a joke.

Half the fun of saying jokes is seeing people over-react I guess, but when people start forming 'groups' and start protesting people/companies/whatever over jokes it becomes a problem. That one joke photo with the women's mouths taped and "World Peace" on the white board isn't going to motivate gov't officials to remove women's rights to free speech, the right to vote, and other rights they've achieved.

• They can be funny but can go too far.
    The "feminist" jokes you mentioned are just a case of childish "do as I say, not as I do" so the idiots that do that should just be ignored. They're looking for attention.

• I've learned that half the time they're not joking. Remember just because they try and say it in a humorous way doesn't mean they don't believe it. I've found most people to honestly believe the sexist jokes that come out of their mouth. However, when I know the person is joking they can be funny. Just ignore the hypocrits that say jokes that put their gender at the butt of the joke as sexist but then they do it to the other gender. They're just idiots.

• Sexist jokes are only funny because they're absurd.
    No one would tell a woman to get back in the kitchen with any seriousness (speaking generally here guys, calm down), that's why we laugh, because it's ridiculous and plays on an outmoded way of thinking.
    Also, there isn't a line you can put on comedy. Shouldn't Jim Norton have taught us that already?

• Offensive jokes are my favorite type of jokes. Sexist, racist and just about every other type of ist there is.

• Sexist jokes, pedo jokes, crippled jokes, rape jokes. I am all set and done for them. Bring it on.

• i think the line is drawn when it comes to making a joke out of rape because it's currently so prevalent but other than that they are mainly ok with it if they know you're joking

• all jokes can be funny. people just need to not be soft.

• Some are, some aren't. Jokes are jokes.

• everything is funny, if you can laugh about it xD

• Yeah they can be funny. People just can't take a joke

• I'd make a sexist joke here but I dont wanna disturb their period rage more lol

• OFFENSIVE JOKES ARE AWESOME!
    Why did "god" invent yeast infections? So women would find out what it's like living with an irritating cunt! :D

• Most of the time they're kinda dumb. I've never taken serious offence to a sexist joke either. However the only two sexist jokes I ever laughed at are:

-Girls are like lava lamps; they're fun too look at but they aren't too bright
    -Guys are like government bonds; they take forever to mature

• Of course they're funny, all jokes are funny. People are just too soft skinned these days

• Oh... a message to the main...

• Funny to someone else, might not be funny to you. Scales on how open minded you can be to remember the fact that at the end of the day, it's just a joke.

• Funny Jokes are funny.

That is the point of a Joke.

• If you're not wound to tightly, then yes, they can be hilarious!!

• Offensive jokes are funny so of course.