Why do people born in the late 80s/early 90s think that being a 90s kid is an exclusive club or something?

I was born Feb 1999 and I've had people tell me that I am not a 90s baby because I was born in 1999? I was born technically in the decade, right?

by the way I was curious what you guys think, it doesn't make a difference to me if I am or not :)

Most Helpful Guy

• That's like saying "I'm 16 today tomorrows my Bday I'll be 17"
    You did not experience any of the 90's. Do you remember your 1st year? All you cal really relate to is the 2000 & beyond.

Most Helpful Girl

• Technically, you are a 90's baby. But when people talk about 90's babies, they're talking about the ones who grew up watching 90's shows, playing with 90's toys, everything 90's. I'm guessing you weren't doing much of that in '99? Lol :) . I never brag about being a 90's baby, though. I couldn't care less!

What Guys Said 6

• Yeah you were technically born in the 90s, but you didn't really have the 90s experience and probably can't relate to much of it. Like you couldn't say "I remember when *insert classic 90s song* came out, people wouldn't stop playing it". Or watching a certain sitcom and waiting for a new episode to come on each week. Stuff like that, don't worry I was born in 93 and I don't remember a lot of things from the 90s lol.

• being a 90s baby means you grew up in the 90s. that's really more what the term refers to. yes you were born in the 90s but you didn't experience the 90s right?

like i was born in 82 but i considered myself more of a 90s kid because i didn't really experience the 80s except for maybe the last two years of it

• Cuz we be the shizzle

• I was born in 1989 and I am a 90's kid, you're a noughties kid.

• We are just the coolest! #Team94

• People from the 90s tend to act like they are from a superior caste or something, jeez.

What Girls Said 3

• I think you were born in the 90's however you didn't necessarily grow up in the 90's

• It's about the era you grew up in, not the era you were born in. So 88, 89 kids are 90s kids because they grew up in the 90s and remember the decade. You're a noughties kid because you grew up in the noughties. I was born in 1990, it wasn't that great a decade though! Lol

• okay fair enough :) that makes more sense

• Glad it makes sense. I understand your confusion though! Like you're a 90s baby but not a 90s kid :P it is needlessly complicated, I agree.

• I loved the 90's. I never really looked at it as an exclusive club though. To me there was great music, video games were better back then, and it was close to the new century.

Just a cool decade.