Why is depression often mistaken as attention seeking?

why is depression often mistaken as attention seeking?

Most Helpful Guy

• People are generally mean before they try to understand the others.
    They like to judge, that's a natural thing that comes almost immediatly.
    Then some people are able to be open to the others, and the mentally childish ones can't get out of the judging mode.

So, yeah, depression sucks a lot, and people feel like shit, they need a hug, they need someone to understand them, to listen, to give advice... that's difficult to get when friends are mostly non existant, and for some people there is some stuff they don't really like to share with family ones... so they feel stuck.

Can be very cruel.
    That's why internet get's younger ones attention.
    Easier to find someone to relate, and the annonymaty helps to make them talk.

Are you ok?

What Guys Said 14

• Because people mistake depression as something only stupid or weak-minded people feel. We ALL feel depressed at some point or another, and we shouldn't feel bad about that because that's a perfectly human thing.

Unfortunately, being gay and men showing sympathy for others and women having sexual desires are all perfectly normal things too, but people get harassed for that all the time.

• Because more often than not people don't want to bother with supporting or helping thus they do the easy way out by writing it off as attention seeking. It's just a means of excusing themselves from being worried with others.

• Because we get so inwardly focused, where it seems like we are all we talk about. But really all we want is to feel like an equal and be shown that people want to be around us. When nobody wants to be around us who are we supposed to be able to relate to? Nobody, then what doni have to talk about? The news?, my uneventful weekend among people who had parties, vacations, trips, and whatever else normal people do?

I don't think so

• Because too many people use it for trivial reasons when they feel sad for a few days.

Unless you have got help and been diganosed with depression, don't decide you have it and self diagnose just cos you feel down. Actual depression can be serious and is actually the biggest killer out of all the illness' in my age group

• Because people say they are depressed, when they're in a bad mood... And because most depressed people seem normal on the outside. They are good in hiding it, that's why it's sometimes hard to believe.

• If you're lucky to live in a culture where you have everything, feeling like you have nothing is seen as shameful.

• Because people don't take is as an illness. Depression is as effective as cancer. It can kill you.

• some people do infact do it for attention which is sad
    saying you're depressed = sympathy = attention = them being happy i guess

• Because you are 14 lol. Nobody going to take a seriously for at least another couple years.

• I have two words for you - What happened?

• because depressed people rarely communicate like that.

• uneducated fools.

• Everyone needs attention. People who don't get enough attention often become depressed. So denying attention seekers what they want won't actually help them.

• People tend to keep depression to themselves and don't make a song & dance about it. If anyone is suffering from depression they should contact a medial professional for assistance.

What Girls Said 8

• Coming from someone who has clinical depression, I may be able to help.

Everyone is depressed at one stage in their life. Some people it's just a case of the blues because of an event, for others it's a serious problem.

Everyone reacts differently, but for me I don't want to leave bed, I don't want to move, I can't move, my appetite changes, my sleeping pattern gets completely messed up. When I'm with other people, I'm mopey, I want hugs and quiet time. People try to get a reaction out of me so they fuss over me asking if I want cups of tea or to talk about things, when all I want is to curl up in a ball.

Now, displaying behaviour like this can be read as I'm sorry for myself and I want people to talk to me about my problems and ask about how things are going and that I constantly need other people's help. That I'm attention seeking.

Although it is true that I need other people to help me through it, it's incorrect to say I'm attention seeking. Far from it. I'm shrinking into a little hole where I feel safe and nothing can touch me. But I do need help to come back out.

Depression is one of those things that if you don't have it, it's very difficult to understand how it feels. Like with many issues.

Be respectful to others. Help where you can. And if you don't think you can handle helping, don't get involved at all. It will just make it worse for everyone.

• So many people are still ignorant to those of us who have always had to concern ourselves with managing it. There are histrionic people who demand so much unecessary concern that those of us suffering in silence have our needs neglected or assumed we're attention seeking, because of those jerks.

• Because people would rather find and easy excuse for something they don't quite understand so they can dismiss it. Then there are those that do use mental illnesses as a thing to seek attention from. It doesn't mean everyone who's mentally ill does (I have extreme clinical depression and anxiety myself) but I think in recent years there is a lot of self diagnosis going on and it makes people who already have a hard time believing in something like depression, even less likely to accept it as an illness and not attention seeking.

• Because people can't understand one another, therefore come to simple conclusions.

• Because most people don't understand mental illness

• Only people who have no understanding about Depression would think such a thing. Depression can be so debilitating. You become the prisoner and cruel jailer within your own mind. Many people suffer in silence, too scared to let others know they have depression because they have a fear of being judged in a negative way.

• because when we're depressed we become a bit needy

• Because we need someone to listen. It's just how we get through it. Together.

• @Balcazaurus i know but some people don't see it that way

• Because of the people that think depression is having a bad day at work. Really dangerous to real awareness.