Am I obsessed with my car?

First off, this isn't about bragging about cars or to show off. It's a legitmate question based off what my girlfriend said to me. With that being said, the kind of car I have is irrelevant so don't ask.

Anyway, I wash my car once a week, shine my rims and tires, clean the windows, etc. She washes hers about once a month..

I have also spent a couple thousand heavily modifying it. Most are cosmetic looks, but some things increased overall performance. I stopped by our local auto shop to pick up some air freshners for my car and to get more tire shine. For whatever reason, this annoyed her. I asked how? She said, "It's great to know how obsessed my boyfriend is with his car. whatever. lets just go home or is there more shopping you need to do?"

I don't think I understand. Does me keeping my car clean once a week, 4 times a month, and having it always smell good on the inside make me obsessed? It's not really my fault she only washes hers once a month then complains about it being hard to clean..

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think you're obsessed... as long as it is not interfering with the relationship.

Most Helpful Guy

• Lol this is a guy thing that most women don't get. I am with you here , I am not what I consider obsessed with a presentable ride but I refuse to ride in a pig pen either. Lots of women obsess over their hair or their nails , with us it more a tangable thing. I love a good sound system so he'll if I don't like what's in my ride I'm gonna put me a bad assed system in it , it not cosmetic but it improves my experience while I'm in it. Most women go over board ( by guy standards ) on makeup and personal hygen products. It's how they are wired. Most guys are wired mechanically.

• Agreed lol She was only annoyed for a few minutes, but the fact that she was serious about saying I'm obsessed just because I keep it clean once a week I thought was a bit overboard. Women take priority like you said in their hair and nails, but the moment a guy takes care of his car we become "obsessed" ¬_¬

I don't understand at all and when she told me that I brushed it off.

• I agree. It is embarrassing as heck. Knowing everyone is looking and thinking , they are nasty just look at the car

• Thanks bro. Uhh you missed a spot. Lollol

What Girls Said 2

• If you don't take pride in your personal property WHO IS, them? Maybe if more people would take pride in their property and less time concerning themselves with other people's property that maybe people could find self respect, something my courtry starves for. I do not wash my BMW at all, I pay someone else to do it for me. People will work for peanuts even wash my car for me because I take pride in having resources (private property) affordable in my estimation and they are thankful for the pay. Wash your car daily if that's what it takes to be a good example as a person, and if the relationship fails it's not your fault, relationships are a TWO WAY STREET not a ONE WAY STREET. It's obvious your friend is not really your friend just a jealous person who doesn't have the self respect you have. Gotta ask, do you repair your own car? I do, I have yet to find a reasonable care giver when it comes to repairing my car and for your information I am a self proclaimed married woman and my hubby pays for everthing and he doesn't complain, can you blame him? LOL

• I get someone else to repair it haha small things I got, but bigger things it's going to my friend! 😊 I just cannot imagine myself riding around in a dirtyass car that hasn't been washed inside and out for TWO months. But I'm obsessive for cleaning it once a week? Um, what?

• No you're not obsessed. You just like taking care of it

What Guys Said 3

• I wouldn't really call you obsessive because that sounds too judgmental. I guess your car is your hobby, so that's just your way of spending time and money for a leisure-activity. Maybe somebody else would spend this amount of money for a great fishing equipment or a new guitar or a top-notch bicycle or something like that. Personally, I am certainly much closer to your girlfriend's view of things. I don't even own a car and I don't get what's special about cars in the first place. Maybe it also has to do with how materialistic of a person one is. I am a person that is really not materialistic. This is why stuff such as cars or clothes don't mean a lot to me. I wouldn't buy a Porsche even if I won millions of dollars and I wouldn't buy fancy brand clothes either. For me, a car is just a means to get from point A to point B if I don't have my bike and there is no public transportation. And clothes are to me simply a means to not freeze and not get sunburns in the summer (and not be fined for public indecency). For me, that's really all there is to it. But as I said, I try not to judge people like you because everyone has their own lifestyle and stuff they like.
    However, one thing that does bother me a lot is this completely careless attitude that lots of Americans have towards the environment (for example when it comes to cars). Washing a car once a week is completely over the top, environmentally speaking. It's an incredible waste of water. Even washing it once a month is too much. My parents don't ever wash their car themselves but they bring it to a carwash maybe 2-3 times a year. That's really all it needs to look decent (it doesn't look very dirty). I think most people here in Europe do it like that. I've been reading and watching some stuff about the terrible drought in California and I was shocked to read that Californians were super pissed about having to save water and not being able to wash their car once or even several times a week. In the very beginning I felt very bad for them but then I read this article that showed some calculations that even now with this saving-water regulations, the average Californian uses about 3 times as much water as the average person from my country. This is something that really bothers me a lot about Americans. You just don't seem to see how important and scarce resources such as fresh water are in this world and wasting it on washing a car every week is crazy in my opinion. But anyway, that just as a side note.

• That's not obsessive you are just doing what normal people won't do for their cars

• Kind sounds like it to me.

• Hey Dubhlann if self respect is "obsessive" you should gulp down buckets full, you obviously need it from your short say nothing do nothing reply.