Does anyone else here celebrate Christmas as a cultural holiday and not a religious one?

I grew up in christian schools and in a christian family, so Christmas is primarily nostalgic tradition, and cultural celebration. Its so common here in America, and ubiquitous, that its the biggest theme to celebrate the winter season. (And I love seasonal celebrations) Plus, I like presents and sales lol I like to volunteer in general and I work in non-profit sector, so helping the poor is pretty much what I do in general, but I do a few extra things during the winter/fall (serving Thanksgiving dinner to homeless people, for example, or doing drives)

BUT I am a huge atheist. I'm actually a bit hostile toward religion lol But I love a good holiday and I like parts of the story of baby jesus, but I believe in it as much as I believe in zeus or any of the other greek mythological figures. It's fiction to me. Anyone else like this here?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes I do. I was raised as a Christian, and my parents are christians. But I no longer believe in relogion, nor follow any. My parents (mom mostly) state that they believe, but from what I see, they only pray when they're in difficulties, and never go to church (they used to when I was a kid.. (my mother didn't work back then))

So yeah, we celebrate it like any other hollyday, and in Madeira (Portugal) there is a big fuss about the new year with lots of fireworks (it was once in the guiness book record for the biggest ammount of shots fired I think) so it's just like a buch of days that resembles hollydays and everyone makes a big party out of it regardless of being religious or not.

• you're from portugal? Im jealous. I've been to Lisboa and Sintra. I loved it :)

• A lot of people spoke English when I was in Portugal, true. But I said I was jealous, and referenced my continual struggle to master Spanish. My point was that I don't live in paradise, and like many in the English-speaking world, I'm not fluent in another language (yet - still trying). You have two qualities that I don't have, that I want! lol

Also, many people who haven't traveled, or who aren't acquainted with many people from different countries, may not know how pervasive the English language is and how much it is pressed in other countries at a young age. It may be a genuine surprise to them, if you speak English very well.

• When I said "in here", I meant GaG :)

From all the places you've been, which one would you think is better to live? Considering economy, safety, resources, beautifulness, life quality, etc?

Most Helpful Girl

• Me! I'm agnostic but I celebrate Christmas just as a way to get together with family and exchange gifts

What Guys Said 5

• Throughout my entire life I literally had no idea Christmas had any connection with Christianity. I've always celebrated it as a cultural thing, as did my parents who never really bothered to teach me anything about religion thankfully.

To this day I honestly still have no idea what Jayzus had to do with Christmas but I don't really care anymore. Santa's way cooler.

• Christmas doesn't have anything to do with religion, it's a pagan festival that has been adopted into churches. The 25th December isn't the day that Jesus was born, it is supposedly the day that the angels announced his birth the the people in Bethlehem.

I am not religious.

• None of this is news to me, but lets be real - most people who celebrate Christmas don't know about that or don't care, and that certainly is not how the holiday is celebrated. There are Christmas masses, church services, songs constantly referencing jesus christ as lord and savior. It definitely is religious, despite its roots. It's also very mainstream now though, at least in America, to the point where it's as American and cultural as it could be religious. Christmas is everywhere in the winter here.

• lol You didn't offend or upset. I'm just explaining how Christmas is celebrated in my country.

• Ok cool :D

• Christmas today for many people is more about celebrating family and loved ones than the birth of Christ. It's ok.

I had a friend tell me that someone in Korea once told them that Christmas was when we celebrate the birth of Santa. =)

• Yes exactly!!

• Yeah is I do it's for traditional not religious purposes.

What Girls Said 1

• Its never been a religious thing for me or my family, it is simply a holiday to celebrate...