Are tasers legal in Florida?

I want to get a taser for self defense like when I go for a walk, they sell a lot of them on Amazon. Do I have to register it or something?

And are tasers legal in Florida? I've never bought a taser before so I'd appreciate it if y'all could fill me in on the legal aspects.

bump
bump.

Most Helpful Girl

• I quickly googled it and found this for you:

In Florida, most people may purchase, possess (openly or concealed), or use a nonlethal stun gun for self-defense without obtaining a permit. However, you may not purchase, possess, or use a stun gun if you are: a convicted felon, or convicted of a juvenile crime that would have been a felony had it been committed by an adult, and you are under the age of 24. Florida law also limits minors’ possession of stun guns. Those under the age of 16 may not possess or use a stun gun without parental consent and adult supervision. Adults who knowingly permit a child to use or possess a stun gun without adult supervision are guilty of a second degree misdemeanor.

It is illegal to carry a stun gun for purposes other than self-defense (with greater penalties for concealed carry than for open carry). It is also illegal to carry or use a stun gun at a school-sponsored event or on the property of any school, school bus, or school bus stop. For purposes of this law, “school” means any public or private preschool, elementary school, middle school, junior high school, secondary school, career center, or postsecondary school. Peace officers and specified others are exempt from these rules. Violation of these rules is a third degree felony.

A person may openly carry, for purposes of lawful self-defense:
    (a) A self-defense chemical spray.
    (b) A nonlethal stun gun or dart-firing stun gun or other nonlethal electric weapon or device that is designed solely for defensive purposes.

So from what I can gather, you're allowed to have one, just not on school property and if you do have one on school property, you can be fined or go to jail, or both.

• Thanks very much. But I have to be 24? But under 16 can get one with parental consent, that makes no sense.

• The under 24 thing was only for felons. It meant that anyone who was convicted of a crime, as a juvenile, when they were under 24 couldn't have one. The wording is awkward.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 2

• Probably not. Its not a"firearm". You can purchase a Bow without a license. A muzzaloader as well. So I highly doubt you need to register for one. What do you need it for? Alligators? Lol

• Why do you need one? Girls molest you in public or what?

• I've seen a few characters around here but I need my exercise.