Why do some people think evolution is a theory when it is a fact?

A theory is a model or idea which doesn't have sufficient evidence to prove that it is true.

A fact is proven to be true beyond reasonable doubt.

Evolution is a fact since it has overwhelming evidence supporting it. And yet some people are still are not convinced.

• I believe in evolution
  • No I dont believe in evolution
  • Results
so i have concluded its both fact and theory. its all a bit confusing with definitions and what definitions are accepted and what isn't. and they change definitions all the time so it can be interpreted differently too.

Most Helpful Girl

• The issue you're running into is a pretty common one, and it's essentially an issue of confusing the common meaning of the word with the scientific one. "Theory" in this sense is a scientific term, it doesn't just mean a possible but not certain explanation, as it does in common language. In science, a theory is seen as just as valid as a law, but they explain different things. Essentially, a law says THAT something happens, while a theory explains HOW it happens. Evolution is the explanation of HOW organisms change over time, so it's a theory. So yes, it's fact, but it's also a theory in the scientific sense of the word.

Most Helpful Guy

• Evolution is both a theory and a fact. Gravitational attraction is a fact. And the theory of gravity is just that --- a highly successful theory.

What Girls Said 4

• Because ultra conservative religious folk don't want to believe in a process that isn't supported by intelligent design.

• The odds of even 1 cell forming by accident without a divine hand guiding the process is 1 to the 10 *times 200 zeroes. It is in fact a THEORY.

• Its classed as a theory because there is no way of going back and seeing it in real time to class it as a law.

• but they can see it in real time. they can see it with cellular organisms

• Yeah I'm too lazy to go back and check why it can't yet be classed as a law but there is a reason. It is scientifically classed as a theory. It's not just "called a theory by those who don't get it". It's just how scienctific research and shit works.

• i know thats what im saying. its classed as both a theory and fact apparently. but people who dont understand it say 'its just a theory' or dont believe in it.

• Evolution does exist and there is proof

What Guys Said 10

• It's a scientific theory, same as the theory of gravity. A theory is the working hypothesis that is accepted until information comes that contradicts it, then the theory changes. That doesn't mean that it's not fact, I believe in evolution, but it's still a theory, then again so is the theory that the earth is round and no one is arguing that.

• the earth isn't perfectly round, but yea i agree with what u r saying

• I believe in evolution, or rather I think that it is true, but you are mistaken about evolution being a fact. Evolution is a theory, but the SCIENTIFIC meaning of the word theory is different from the "I have a theory" kind of meaning. A scientific theory means that the explanation (the theory) has been tested and found to work in all the experiments in which it was tested.

• In order to converted into a law, you would have to be able to test it. In other words create a world, put water, carbon dioxide, and nutrients on it, Put a sun in place, and get humans out 3 billion years later. Since that's not possible, it remains a SCIENTIFIC theory. Evolution is also used in drug development, and in computer programming. One "problem" with evolution is that it works on statistical principles. In other words, evolution on a world identical to earth would end up with a world full of life, but probably not OUR life.

• You're using the wrong definition of theory. Gravity is a theory too. Both are facts.

• ok so its both fact and theory

• It's a theory. I believe in it but who knows? THe universe could've been created last Thursday :D

• I do not 'believe in evolution'
    It is a fact and does not require belief like my spiritual views

• I don't believe in human/animal evolution, I accept it as a fact.

• Well no that's not how science works but whatever you've already taken a bigoted approach to it so I guess it's just pointless to even talk about it with you.

Also technically the earth is not perfectly round either ;)

• Im open to opinions. Im just going off definitions. Maybe its both.

• Well you obviously have a lot stricter definition of what constitutes a fact than pretty much anyone else.

• @Waffles123 I'm a semantic Nazi, I know.

• Because it is a theory.

• I believe in evolution, but can you explain why they haven't found the missing link between apes and humans?

• by missing link what do u mean? and humans didn't evolve from apes. they have a common ancestor

• That's what I mean.

• Because there is no one missing link. Evolution is a gradual process. It's not like there's abrupt changes in species where one species suddenly turns into another. It's not like a series of numbers, where if one number is missing you can just fill in the blank. It's very gradual, and because of this anytime one gap is filled, two more are created. So unless we can find literally every creature in the family tree between a modern human and their non-human ancestor, there will always be missing links. And we simply can't find every one, because fossilization is actually a relatively rare phenomenon, so there's sure to be gaps no matter what we do.

• To be honest people will believe what they want to believe. All the scientists could have gotten together one night and said "lets feed all these people lies about evolution and use fake discoveries to prove it". Now I am not saying they did that, I for the most part believe in evolution, however how do you know that isn't happening? To be honest though I really dont give a crap about evolution. Between today and tomorrow how would my life change if evolution was disproven or proven? It wouldn't, I really dont care about that stuff. Some dude who wants to study bones and rocks his whole life might find that stuff fascinating but I really dont care at all.

• all their scientific work is well documented and has to be putforth to the the scientific society to be examined and retested by other scientists. its all peer reviewed and extensive. they can't just say this is our results and this is now a fact. it doenst work that way

• all these scientists aren't part of some one group where they all get together. they all compete and work with and against eachother to determine what is true and what isn't. sScientists dont have a monopoly like u r saying. i think your view is a bit skewed.

• Basically what the asker said. A fraud like you are theorizing would require every scientist who studied in this field to be in on it, and that's just unreasonable. There are far too many scientists who know enough about the field to uncover it if a fraud were ever attempted, and it would be essentially certain that at least a few of them would come forward with their findings that evolution is incorrect. It's just not feasible.