Is it true that if you try to commit suicide, you are mentally ill?

I've tried to once and my brother caught me. I'm not mentally ill, I just think life is boring and I shouldn't have to be here if I don't want to be. I do cut ocassionaly but ONLY because it's a good stress reliever. I'm not depressed or mentally ill so why do people keep saying that? They're trying to make me see a therapist but I don't like the idea of a stranger being all in my buisness.

Most Helpful Guy

• No, trying to commit suicide is not necessarily indicative of being mentally ill, but it may indicate that one is mentally weak and unimaginative because, if you are bored, all that indicates is a lack of imagination or curiosity.

However, there are people who may be rationally despressed, but not emotionally depressed. For instance, if you know that you are terminally ill and that, as your illness progresses, there will come a point when all there is is pain with no hope for relief or cure, then committing suicide is totally rational and preventing someone in that situation from doing it is is inhumane. Google Brittany Maynard who killed herself last year. www.people.com/.../brittany-maynard-died-terminal-brain-cancer

So, think about Brittany and how, if she was alive, would have traded places with you. She killed herself to avoid the pain involved in her impending death. Meanwhile you "cut" yourself (which is total bullshit - you are succumbing to peer pressure) as a stress reliever and want to die because you are bored. Part of me thinks "Fine, then die because if you are that defective to want to kill yourself from boredom, then removing yourself from the gene pool only benefits the rest of the human race." However, I think you just need to 1) grow up and 2) get an imagination and 3) recognize that there are lots of amazing wondrous things in this world and universe. Make your life worth living. Earn the life that you have that Brittany Maynard had taken away.

• wow wtf dude.. she's down and you insult her calling her weak? What a douche :\

• Haha is it nature that made you an old cynical douchebag? Yeah I see how well your "wonderful advice" worked out for you! I didn't say I needed help anywhere, so stop taking shots in the dark. There is no way in hell it is "helpful" to put someone down that is already down. All you are doing is making her feel worse, and then defending your stupid advice with pride.. It's actually selfish people like you that make others feel miserable, so check yourself gramps

• @New_Avenues I asked you not to interfere.

Most Helpful Girl

• Sadly there seems to be a trend going round labelling anyone not fitting into the norm as bring tagged as "mentally ill"... or those questioning and challenging the government or authorities on current global issues, victims of rape child abuses etc. Often times its used to scare the victim into silence like a indirect the threat or forcing people to think and behave in a certain way or else they will be sectioned and medicated. Almost like a totalitarian state. It's neither helpful nor a cure. I do hope u get therapy and lots of support from family and friends.

What Guys Said 18

• People generally do not want to kill themselves unless there is a problem somewhere. It doesn't really matter whether it is labelled as a "mental illness" or otherwise. Most therapists are pretty cool to talk to, so don't take a loaded gun to your first session with them. :)

• Cutting is a mental problem. Suicide attempts are a bigger mental problem. And people who have mental problems are often unable to see them, just like you cannot see yours.

• So fun story, I didn't think I had a mental illness, and I tried to commit suicide several times, and i also cut as well. Well turns out I have major depressive disorder. That's nothing to be ashamed about though. We all have our problems, and everyone needs attention. Maybe seeing a stranger about your business isn't the most glamorous of ideas, but it's helped me a lot as they don't go around telling you how to live your life, they just help you out and listen to you. Just a recommendation, just see a doctor to see if you do have a mental illness. Again, it's nothing to be ashamed of. If you don't want to see a doctor, but you do want someone to talk to who's been in a similar place you've been, message me. I'd love to talk about feelings and whatnot.

• The term has a lot of taboo to it huh? Unfortunatelly, it's become a way to ignore people and label them with a "disease" instead of caring about them as human beings. If you feel suicidal, that is actually more common than you think and you shouldn't feel alone. A stranger who is trained might be able to help you.. but also I would suggest from my own struggles that you try to be more honest with those you are closest to.. which is HARD. But, the more you express yourself honestly, and the more you are understood, you will start to feel better. You're not alone so don't hesitate to reach out if you want !

• A mentally ill person doesn't know they're Mentally ill.

You need help. If you're going to kill yourself out of boredom, that's a major sign you need help.

• I'm so sorry, you really do need help
    "I've never believed all suicides go to Hell. God has more mercy than that." John Taylor; Hex and the city. Nightside book 4

• "I want to kill myself because... I'm bored lol"
    Maybe you're not mentally ill, but it's a dumb reason to wanting to kill yourself.

• No, if you commit suicide, the only thing that's true is you're dead.

• There is nothing wrong with seeing a counsellor, also don't turn you nose up at people's concerns, suicide can cos a family a lot of grief... how do i know

I lost my brother last month to suicide

• You're a little nuts but I support people's decision to commit suicide 100% and have no problem with it

• Yeah they will put you in solitary confinement

• It certainly isn't healthy behaviour.

• Not necessarily. If you're terminally ill with poor quality of life suicide could be a rational decision. The majority of suicides are mentally ill though.

• go see a dr

• Mentally sane people have an innate instinct for self preservation.

• It is more complex than that. There may be very good reasons why someone decides to kill themselves, as oppose to dying a slow painful death for example. The idea of it being a mental illness, is that deciding to kill yourself brings harm to yourself and therefore is something that is unhealthy. Under normal situations that is the sign of a deeper issue at work.

You say that you think life is both boring, then go on to talk about how stressful it is. That doesn't make a lot of sense that your emotions swing from one to the other. It seems more like you have trouble processing emotion, and have turned to cutting, and are considering suicide. I do think you could benefit by getting some help.

I am not a fan of therapists myself. I have gone to them, and they never did anything for me. They weren't up in my business, they just didn't do anything to help. I do however think that you could use some medication to help stabilize your moods. It is my belief that a lot of people using illegal drugs are actually just people trying to self medicate. You need to figure out what is causing you from being the happy person you could be. That is all your family is trying to help you with.

• It's not a good stress reliever. It triggers an initial release of stress but overall boosts your stress levels once that wears off. Furthermore you can't use it in most situations. So it's a crappy habit.

Do you imagine being dead isn't boring?

See a therapist. They work for you. If they're not helpful find a different one. They should be helping you target specific goals in terms of stress management and enjoying life.

The way you feel about life isn't actually very connected to your circumstances. It's how your mind is filtering the world. You're not happy. You deserve to be happy. You -can- be happy.

• It is not healthy or normal whatsoever for a human being to desire to murder themselves. You are either mentally ill, possessed, or both.

What Girls Said 9

• I am guessing your extermely upset!

• Yes you are, as the survival instinct is natural to everyone. Wanting to commit suicide is a sign of no ambitions in life (which explains why you find it boring), no sense or strong feelings (not caring of what your entourage thinks), and no aim to find happiness, which all link up to depression.

You might be depressed without knowing.

• Not caring whether you live or die is a form of illness. You don't have to suffer to be mentally ill. There are plenty of mentally ill people who aren't suffering but still are mentally unhealthy inside.

• No. For example, many businessmen committed suicide during the Great Depression. I don't think they were all mentally ill... but they certainly were under a great amount of pressure.

Not being able to find pleasure or joy in any aspect of life at all may be indicative of some type of depression. What do you have to lose by talking to someone? Therapists are professionals, what you share will be kept private unless they deem you are an immediate threat to yourself or others.

• I haven't tried it but I have imagined it several times.

• For your reason? Yes.

• Hey. Your so gay.

I'm sorry I just wanted to call someone gay.

• Technically yes, because just wanting to kill yourself or cut yourself isn't normal. You should probably seek help.

• Yeah, usually. The fact you find life 'boring', and think that cutting is a good stress reliever, points strongly towards you being mentally ill.
    There's nothing wrong with that, unless you refuse to acknowledge it and get treated.