Would you rather be an atheist in a theocracy or a religious person in an atheist state?

Assume that in the first case only one certain religion is legal, and in the second only atheism is legal. And this isn't just de jure, in both cases it's actually enforced.

• Atheist in a theocracy
  • Religious person in an atheist state

Most Helpful Girl

• I think that it's probably easier to hide atheism so long as you go through the motions of religion. Case in point: my parents didn't know that I was an atheist for like 8 years (not that they're violent theocrats or anything, they just didn't notice).

Most Helpful Guy

• Well I have been a religious person in an atheist state. For 3 years of my life, and it was a very unique experience. Normally I hate atheists, like the ones in Europe are just obnoxious and so opinionated, and always look down on you for having a religion, but when I was living in China I didn't have any of those problems. Most of the people didn't know what it was like to be a Christian so they were genuinely curious if we got talking about it, whereas the Europeans think they already know everything about Christianity so they just hate on me from the beginning. Some do it very subtly and are more respectful towards me, and others are just jerks about it, so I can't really answer your question because even though Western Europe is supposedly freedom of religion and not an atheist state, there are a ton of super opinionated atheists over there, who certainly make their opinion known whether you care or not. Meanwhile in Communist China, a country that has become less atheist in recent years, I felt way more welcome and accepted on the basis of religion. Go figure, its weird how that works but I think part of it is cultural, I get along with European Christians pretty well, but I gotta give them credit cause many of the atheists over there aren't the nicest of people, anyway this question is pretty hard cause if that atheist state is like the Czech Republic with state enforced atheism then I would not want to be there since people already try to impose their will on you as is, however if that atheist state is China then I'm completely okay with being a religious person there since the people aren't as opinionated, and dont try to force things on you. As far as atheist in a theocracy I dont have the experience of that, but I was a Christian in a muslim theocracy for 6 months and it wasn't too bad. Sure some muslims had whacky ideas about Christians (some thought christians were cannibals), and others had no idea what Christians were to begin with, but I suppose thats alright, I wasn't really persecuted per se, only avoided cause people were afraid I was gonna eat them or perform witchcraft on them, but I suppose thats what you get when you live in a little village in the middle of nowhere where the people dont get out much. I'd definitely rather live in the theocracy as an atheist, although if we are talking about a China type atheist state then its probably a tie cause both aren't too bad.

What Girls Said 1

• Sounds like the same problem either way since it is a legal issue either way. I would have to know what the culture is like in the particular place before deciding. I think it might be slightly easier to be an atheist in a theocracy than vice versa.

What Guys Said 4

• I'm Catholic but given the choice. Id only have freedoms as an atheist in a Christian state. We already have past examples of atheist states. North korea. An atheist state has an outright ban on anything Christian. The Soviet union didn't give Christians any wiggle room

• I'm already an atheist, I wouldn't want to become religious.

• At least it would be a fair and balanced state if it was an atheist state.

• I am already in a kind of B situation