Why do so many people say that Americans are stupid?

I'm not an American, but when you start to type to google "why are americans" there comes only negative answers..
A lot of people say that Americans are stupid and so on...
I mean I've never been in America, but mostly people from Y! A seems clever to me, they've helped me a lot.. and even some teachers have said in school that Americans are stupid ( like teacher should do that? Wait.. what are we learning in school communication?)
Shouldn't these people look before at themselves?

Most Helpful Girl

• Some are, some aren't. There are dumb apples in every bunch.

Most Helpful Guy

• Americans are not stupid. BUT they are, generally speaking (exceptions always exist), absolutely terribly educated. I come from western Europe and I've lived in the US twice. One of these times, I also attended a public high school in America. What I realized there was that compared to my public high school in Europe (Switzerland, to be exact), where I had to pass a very competitive exam in all major subjects to even be admitted, American high schools SUCK. Sure, you might have those fancy places like MIT, Harvard, Yale, Stanford... yadayada. But these private universities do not reflect the conditions of the type of schools 95% of Americans attend.
    My shock about the American high school system began already on the first day in the principal's office. I was told to choose my classes. This was already quite strange to me, since we can't "choose" our classes in Europe. Anyhow. Sounds like fun for all the students I guess. So I asked him "what classes are the mandatory ones?" And he responds "None." None. Cool! Wait... what? WTF? Did you just say you don't force your students to attend any specific classes? Are you saying students can get through 6 years of high school without ever having seen a history or foreign language or math classroom from the inside? That is fucked uuuup.
    But okay. I tried to get over this shock when my next one was already lurking around the corner: quality. I'm sorry... I'm really sorry but public education in the US sucks. And I know it wasn't just my school because I heard the same from other exchange students in other schools and other US states. With 8 years of mandatory school-French (we have to start in elementary school in Switzerland), I was better at French than my American French teacher who actually studied the subject at a university. Again: that is fucked up. Also, my math and physics classes were pathetic. In my journalism class, we were hanging out and chatting and boring ourselves to death 90% of the time, while our pregnant teacher was snacking away on chocolate bars. Oh and multiple choice exams? REALLY? The first time I saw one I thought it was a joke. Are we on "Who wants to be a millionaire" now? How can you check students' knowledge about things such as the American civil war with a freaking multiple choice "test"? That's ridiculous. One of the reasons for this poor quality is that the teachers in American high schools are themselves not educated decently. To be a teacher at a high school in the US, all you

• need to have is a Bachelor's degree. In a country where college is easy enough that 90% of the population can actually attend it, this is pathetic. In Switzerland, only about 15% of the population actually make it to a university and you can only become a high school teacher if you have a Master's degree. About half of my high school teachers had in fact a PhD. I am myself on the way to become a high school teacher and it's a long and rocky way. You're expected to really be an expert at your subject. In the US, high school teachers are basically just well-informed amateurs.
      Also, most high schools in America focus more on teaching their students proper conduct than knowledge. And finally, the American government gives a shit about public education and tries to save money wherever they can. Teacher's salaries are ridiculously small. The whole thing is really quite tragic. So yes, Americans are not stupid. I've met many smart Americans. But many are badly educated and thus ill-informed.

What Girls Said 1

• Because they never been to the rich side of america!

What Guys Said 3

• I don't think American's are stupid. The only Americans I get sick of are the ones that think America is the only good country in the world to live in because that is not true and the Americans that think all the rest of the world should live like them.

• In much of the world, including in other Western countries (like France just as an example) it's "fashionable" to bash America and Americans. Sophisticates sit in the cafes drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes and criticize America and Americans. It's almost like it's the thing to do. But these people live under the security of America's defense umbrella, made possible by the American taxpayer.

• Because we are.

And schools aren't places to learn critical thought anymore, the right wing has been successful in turning schools into glorified jobs training centers.