If the Gems in Steven Universe have no gender, how is Steven half-gem from his mother?

I am sure 90% of G@Gers may not know what I'm talking about. But for those who watch Steven Universe may know that the gems are supposed to not have any gender, despite them looking like girls. But then Steven is half-gem, and the gem part was his mother. So then it seems quite obvious the gems are female.

Why would you make the gems look female, have a gem be Steven's MOTHER (female), and yet say they have no gender? It doesn't make sense...

Most Helpful Girl

• I know Steven Universe but I didn't know that they didn't have a gender. What episode was that?

Or maybe it's because of the fact that when the Gems "reproduce", they do so by being the alternate sex that is needed in the act. So let's say instead of Steven's father it had been a woman who copulated with a Gem, the Gem would have been the "male". Like hermaphrodites.

Most Helpful Guy

• Your conclusion is faulty. If all gems were specifically XX, for instance, then there's no sex differential therefore Steven would be X[AdditionalElement] which makes for a sex differential which would be true no matter what he actually was mixed with, it could be X (1) X (2) from a different species and there would be a sex.

Blahblahblah.

As for the reason they would look female, it's for you to watch, because who wants to watch a bunch of YY tv?

What Girls Said 1

• I am not sure... four cus i said so!

What Guys Said 2

• You homophobe! The gems can be whatever gender they feel like!

• PLOT CONVENIENCE! :D