Do you think it is good or bad for parents to have there children believe in Santa clause? Or should children be raised with science and reason?

Most Helpful Girl

• I like seeing children believe in Santa Claus, because I've noticed that it often gives young children a much more creative outlook on life. If such magic can exist, what else could there be out there? When I was a child and I believed in Santa Claus, I used to lay in bed wondering what other mystical beings lived out there. I channeled that into writing about my little speculations, and I'm now a pretty decent writer who is planning on making a journalism career for myself. I also used to look up all sorts of different things that lead from my belief in Santa Claus, such as origins of myths and such. I feel as if simply believing in a magical person who wants nothing more than to care about little me gave me hope that there could be non magical people out there who would care about the little folks as well. Santa Claus gave my small childish heart something to believe in, and it gave me hope. Being the only child to not believe in higher powers can be depressing and sort of isolating as well.

Most Helpful Guy

• Doesn't really matter much either way to me. Most adults still believe in fairy tales anyway what with American politics, astrology, and religious fundamentalism. I doubt that Santa Claus is really significant in the grand scheme of things. I'd rather teach them the true story of St. Nicholas of Myra and the virtues they could emulate from it.

What Girls Said 5

• There's nothing wrong with having your children believe in Santa Claus. Sure, he's not real. However, imagination is a big part of being a child. Make believe playing a key role in their development, whether it be developing beneficial thinking patterns, problem-solving strategies, etc.. Raising children to believe in things according to science from the start would rid them of many things. Science is best left for once their mental development is largely done, in my opinion.

• I don't think that those things need to be mutually exclusive. The magic and joy of family and lighting up the darkness of winter doesn't refute evolution.

• I think having that magical feeling as a child that Santa comes during Christmas and writing a present list to him is something that all children should experience. They will learn very quickly as they get older the reality.

• Let kids have a bit of magic when they're young. It's not hurting anyone.

• Let them believe for as long as possible. Thats the joy of being a child, believing in magic and wondrous things...

What Guys Said 4

• Nope, when I was growing up my aunt told me Santa Claus died in 1999.
    Did you happen to see this video?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_Q2cXLhHhU

• If i was a parent, i wouldn't lie to them. But that's mot to say that I'd discourage them from believing in anything they decide to believe in THEMSELVES.

• Nah having them believe stupid shit like that helps the Jesus lies sink in further.

• Santa knows best.