Do you think it's wrong to buy a dog instead of getting one from a shelter?

I have a specific breed I really want but if they aren't raised properly, they basically morph into spawns of Satan so I'd like to get one as a puppy

• It's wrong
  • You do you

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't feel responsible for the results of other people's bad decisions and careless behavior. That way lies madness.

A dog in the course of it's life is going to cost you as much as a nice car. I think you have every right to try to get exactly what you want.

Most Helpful Girl

• it's ok to get a dog from a breeder, they need to keep their line going. and if no one buys their pups they can't breed, and the line ends and it messes up the gene pool. :/ and that's not good for anybody.
    (not that i'm against getting a shelter dog, they're usually really good, and its great when you can find them a home)

What Guys Said 2

• I wanted a pug, went and bought one, love him dearly.

• It isn't wrong... all dogs need a good home, you know? This does include shelter dogs, but it's hard to know what you're getting with a shelter dog. Our neighbor's old pitt bull randomly killed someones cat, and a few weeks later attacked a different dog... it was a shelter dog, and had been very friendly until then. The owner of the dog didn't know how to handle it, and it had to get put down after the second attack. If you aren't prepared to handle an uncertain past, it's best to buy a puppy.

If you want to help shelter animals, donations are always a good option.

• I do help shelter dogs and I guess that's why I feel conflicted about purchasing a dog

What Girls Said 4

• It's not wrong. No. And that's good reasoning.

But there's soooooo many animals in need of homes.. People that breed make me a little sad.

Even though it is needed to preserve breeds and all.

• I do have a rescue mutt and I volunteer :)

• Who cares! Do you!

• It's always good to adopt a dog from a shelter but if you aren't ready for the challenge that can come with it I think it's a good choice to buy a dog so you do you ^-^

• I don't see an issue with it. Do what you want, either way you get a dog.