Should we trust psychology experts?

As in mental health experts like psychologists and psychiatrists? I value their knowledge on the way humans think and behave. I find it a fascinating field of study. But since they are experts on the way people think, behave, and interact, advertisers pay top dollar to figure out a way to create the most manipulative advertisements to get people spending their money on crap they don't need. Propaganda campaigns use psychology techniques to get people to believe lies. Psychiatrists tell their patients they'll feel better if they take daily psychotropic drugs. My psychiatrist told me I couldn't function in society without taking adderall and other pills that did more harm than good; I proved him wrong. I was however brainwashed for years believing the stuff I was told by my doctor.

Most Helpful Girl

• That's great that you proved them wrong and got back on track on your own. I thought I could do it without add meds but I saw another doc who evaluated my evaluated my condition and she seemed to connect with me a lot better and gave me a prescription that worked, although insurance companies and big pharma are the ones who profit whenever the doctor writes a prescription. Psychiatrists and psychologists are our tools, but we are their tools too when it comes to their paycheck, their masters' profits, and their area of study. Some of them do it to actually help people, and some of them are like mindless drones just making it from one day to the next and filling the gaps in their professions. If you don't like your shrink you kind of have to shop around for a good one, and it's always good to get a second opinion for anything really important and medical related.

Most Helpful Guy

• Do we trust mechanics or doctors or fitness experts or other subject matter experts? I would say heed their warnings and obtain other opinions. Based on logic, analyze each opinion and choose the right one that sounds logical.

What Girls Said 2

• You know I'm not a psychiatrist but I can read people well and I know how to manipulate them, it's damn easy. But I really don't manipulate people.

• Psychologists go through a lot of schooling to learn the ways of the brain, behaviors, etc. I trust them, but it's true, as it being true with any profession, that things could be inaccurate at times. Doesn't mean they were brainwashing or lying to you.

What Guys Said 3

• I believe that the relationship between a person and their care team is an individual one - Sometimes massive intervention helps other times not - I had mental health problems and too found the non medication route most successful but would that be the case for everybody so I would encourage people to explore it then make a decision about what to do.

• The drug thing isn't true. Most see them for counseling through life's problems that seem insurmountable

• I know those drugs have had success stories for some people. But with me and many others, those drugs had nasty side affects, which then I was prescribed even more drugs to combat those side effects, and before I knew it I was taking pill cocktails that were really distorting me. My psychiatrists told me to keep on them for my own good. This reason among others causes me to call psychological experts into question

• Your statement implied they put everyone they see on meds and that isn't true. Not even close

• You're right, I could've worded that better

• Trust that they know what they're talking about but not necessarily trust that they have your best interests in heart