Do this mean I'm fucked up?

I'm in counselling and she said 'most of the people who come to counselling only need 1 session'

I'm on my 5th session and she said I'm gonna need an extension...

does this mean I'm fucked up?

Most Helpful Girl

• Hahhaha probably. But wouldn't worry too much about it. Everyone is fucked up, in one way or another.

Most Helpful Guy

• When it comes issues with the mind, there is no time limit. Everyone is different. Focus on the fact that you are getting help, and that takes courage.

What Girls Said 5

• It's normal for colleges to limit the number of times you can see a campus counselor. Other than that, I've never heard of anyone putting a limit on it. Regardless, no two people are the same. Maybe someone only needs one session while another sees a therapist for years. What matters is that you're working on whatever the issue is, not how many sessions you attend. If your counselor doesn't get that and is comparing you to other patients, you should probably find a different one.

• I wouldn't say you're fucked up, no. People have varying needs as far as counseling goes and the time needed varies from person to person.

• Your counselor told you that most people need only one session? Wow you need to seek help from some other doctor a real doctor not a counselor and no you're not fucked up for needing more than one session. I was in therapy for years and now am great. It takes time to get the help we need.

• You could be.. Or she wants more munnneyyyy

• Well, most people who come in for counseling do it to get over some temporary trauma or a bump in the road or something--like maybe a death in the family. The death sucks, but it only happens once, and they go through a session to work through it and then they're good.
    If you've gone through something long-term though, like a trauma from your past that hasn't been addressed in a long time, or depression or anxiety that's always been affecting you but you never got help for, then it'll take longer to work through. That doesn't make you more fucked up than anybody else. It's just that if you didn't get counseling right when the problem started, it's had more time to give you unhelpful thought habits, so it'll also take more time to undo.

• You think a death in the family is just a bump in the road? A person might only die once, but the effects of it are felt forever. Grief *is* a long-term trauma.

• Yeah, it's not like a person comes back to life, their death doesn't go away. By "bump in the road" I mean something immediate, that just happened. Grief can fade, if it's dealt with in a healthy way from the beginning. But for people who don't or can't find a healthy way to grieve and accept it, and who also don't go to see a counselor for many years--that's when they can begin to form bad mental habits and injuries to their mental and emotional health beyond the damage that was done by the initial death.
      It's like with physical wounds. If you get stabbed in the shoulder it hurts, it's not a minor thing. But it can heal. Sure it may leave a scar, but within a few weeks or months it mostly stops hurting. But sometimes it doesn't heal healthily on its own, you'll need to see a doctor, get it cleaned, get some antibiotics. If you don't, it can fester, keep hurting, spread, maybe poison your blood. And the longer you wait to see a doctor, the longer it'll hurt and the slower it'll heal.

What Guys Said 1

• Sounds like you would benefit from real therapy instead of a counselor who thinks anything can be accomplished in one session