If you were alive in 18th or 19th century, would you be an abolitionist or pro-slavery?

You are the race you are right now.

• Abolitionist
  • Pro-slavery

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm white and living in Minnesota, so is be an abolitionist

Most Helpful Girl

• 'What are the odds the gods would put us all in one spot, poppin' a squat on conventional wisdom, like it or not, a bunch of revolutionary manumission abolitionists? Give me a position, show me where the ammunition is!'

Sorry about that :P That was a roundabout way of me saying I'd hope to be an abolitionist.

• I like you a lot 😂

What Guys Said 16

• It's impossible to answer such a question. Ethnicity is actually quite insignificant here. There were white slave-owners and there were white abolitionists. Likewise, most black slaves hated being slaves but I am dead sure we could also find a few who actually enjoyed it or at least they thought something along the lines of "if I keep quiet and do my job well, it's actually a pretty decent existence". I mean, how would you even be able to judge if that is the only thing you know?
    So the real factors are not ethnicity but things such as: where do I live? How wealthy am I? Am I religious? What gender do I have? What social circles am I a member of? Etc. etc.

• hmmmm i found it quite simple

• @bluecoyote is a smart fella

• @Flat4 and @asker
      Awwww guys, you're too kind :-) Thanks a lot!

• I would be an abolitionist. I am confident of this, because of my position on the continuing existence of slavery (in the form, for example, of military slavery) as well as other rights violations.

People shouldn't kid themselves, though. Most of you would probably be for slavery or not care much. "Was your mother a slave? Is that why you feel so strongly about it?" "Stop causing controversy." "So, I'm guessing you hate white people." "You don't care about the white people who will suffer if slavery is abolished." "It's tradition." "Each state should decide. Why do you want to force your view on everyone else?" Such arguments are, essentially, used today.

• Is anyone here actually considering historical context, or are they just thinking like they're time travelers?

• I don't know, you choose.

• Well I'd be living in London during its Imperial heyday, and seeing constant propaganda about white superiority and stuff, and I'm the sort of person who just does what's expected by peers. So I'd probably be for it.

• Constant propaganda? There was no constant propaganda about white superiority, except near the areas where slaves where usually handled.

• It would really depend on my socio-economic position in society. If I was a rich plantation owner in the Southern United States, I'd probably be pro-slavery, as it would have been my livelihood. If I were from the North, with a more industrialised society, I would have probably been abolitionist. Then if I were a poor German immigrant in England like my actual ancestors at the time, I probably wouldn't have given a damn either way.

• I'd be going Nat Turner on everybody.

• A Caucasian abolitionist.

• I'd go Harriet Tubman on all the white people lol

• I'd be against it they could have paid them at least if they wanted to pic their cotton's and other stuff.

• Neither. I would be the guy who says "The slaves should never have been brought to the continent in the first place. They'll only cause us trouble one day".

• Whoever answers this question one way the other is fooling themselves. It would be nice to think that we would know the difference between right and wrong same as we do now but the fact of the matter is different things were acceptable in different cultures back then.

The paradigm that you see things from would be influenced greatly by the time period.

• FYI, all the pro-slavery voters get hanged.

• With my current mind I'd be abolitionist definitely, but put me back then but in the same place I live in, they well, I'd probably be pro-slavery as I live in one of the biggest ports in England, so my livelihood would probably depend on slaves.

• It's kind of scary but the more I read, the more I feel like I sympathize with slave owners who didn't want to free slaves. The slaves lived horrible lives, but the economy depended on them. I think I'd be for "manumission" which means I think the owners should free the slaves, but they shouldn't have to.

• I'm completely against slaverly in all forms but times where very different back then.

• Probably an abolitionist but I wouldn't do much about it. Just go about my life.

• Honestly it would probably depend on where I was born and how much of a stake financially I had in the answer. People can talk themselves into anything if money is at stake. Looking back on it slavery is a horrible thing but at the time it was a social institution which had always existed everywhere. That sort of rationalization is all most people need when money is to be made.

• This is a flawed question. If we knew what we know now, of course we would be against it, but realistically, it would depend on where you lived, what your parents taught you, etc. There's really no way of knowing.

• That's not always true my parents tried so hard to raised me as a Muslim and I am not.

• It's hard to say it will probably depend on all your family felt about it and the people around you

What Girls Said 9

• Hmmm... a Caucasian in the north? I'm thinking I'd be pro freedom.

• I'm black so naturally I'd be against slavery. >o >

• They even dragged free blacks to slave auditions sometimes.

• I know and it's disgusting.

• Probably abolitionist. But I'd be a poor, Mexican woman. What power would I have then? Shit, what power do I even have now? Lol

• is that as sad reflection on life in the states? in multicultural britain you would be the same as anyone else. ... long as you aren't muslim lol

• @wankiam That's really fucking disgusting. No offense.

• It is impossible to answer such a question. Knowing what we know now, I'm pretty sure a lot of individuals would be against slavery. However, growing up in that day and age, it was what you knew.

• I'd be abolitionist. Honestly today so many people support different forms of slavery but don't recognize it. This is why I'm more of a libertarian. Live and let live.

• What idiot would be pro-slavery? Attention whores.

• Im quite sure I would be a REPUBLICAN. You know, an abolitionist.

• I can't be pro slavery obviously lol. It sounds fun to be an abolist I just think of assasins creed.

• Definitely pro-slavery. I can even imagine myself whipping black people to death.