Are my parents being unfair? they won't let me have a phone?

i want to be able to text guys i like and have wireless but my parents won't let me get a phone im turning 14 in a few weeks. i even offered to pay with my allowance i earn but they still wouldn't let me. am i a brat or is this unfair?

• they're being unfair
  • you're too young to have a phone
  • dont know and dont care (results)
  • other (i will explain)

Most Helpful Guy

• They're not being unfair by not paying for it. They are by prohibiting you from buying one with your own money.

• my point exactly. i dont expect them to buy me one. I would pay for it 100 %

What Guys Said 9

• Basically my take on it is that they think that you're too young and it'll be a distraction from being active and from school work

That and being on a phone all the time is bad for your eyes and neck especially at a young age

It would be a good idea to have a phone if you're in a place you have to walk a lot if you play sport or anything but other than to contact your parents if something happens a phone is probably useless to you

And they probably don't want to have to pay expensive bill or for credit every time you need it

• i will probably need a phone because the place we are moving too is close to things i will be able to walk to them a lot by myself. and i want to keep in touch with my friends and the wireless would be nice.

• The question is - do you really need a phone? For example do you have any activities that require you to have a phone in order to be contactable? If no, then you don't really need a phone, but it is mere luxury.

And as someone said already. Your parent's home, your parent's money, your parent's rules.

Additionally if you want to keep in touch with someone, use mail or Skype.

• I will need a phone because I will be moving to a place where I can walk to a lot of things by myself.

• parent's home, parent's rule. allowance is coming out of their pocket. add it all up and decide for yourself.

• so you're saying they are being fair by not letting me buy a phone?

• I'm saying you have absolutely no power in the decision making process.

• That's exactly why you don't have a phone. Letting all the creeps and perverts into your life via the internet. No chance. I'm not just talking about social media. Your minds getting warped by all the crap they feed you via the media. The people that run media feeds and websites are determined to corrupt young minds with lies. Feminist agendas and pro capatalist crap are just the tip of the iceberg
    Your mum and dad are protecting you. Be thankful. You'll end up a brainwashed drone like the rest of these nuggets here. Oh wait your already here. Bad parents.

• Dont mention my parents they are not bad parents I was just wanting a phone and I have every right to post a question on here about it so if your not going to try to help me then keep your comments to yourself.

• Your going to need thicker skin for this. You post a question publicly then you might not like the answer. Okay your parents aren't bad hows that? Misguided maybe

• they dont know im on here. i am because i like to meet new people and ask and answer questions. so its not their problem. i just dont appreciate your negative comment. you couldve left it at a small reason why YOU dont think i should have a phone.

• First of all you ain't brat cause you're a cutie pie and they just want good for you though you're going to be 14 on 21st but that doesn't make any difference to them cause they won't give you one until they think you should have one... So now only 2-3 options left

• Usually, I'd say you're too young for a phone anyway. However, I remember having my first smartphone at age 12 and my first phone at age 6.
    If you want to pay for a phone using money you saved already anyway, I don't see why your parents don't allow you to buy a phone. My opinion would be different, if you expected them to buy it for you.

• i dont know why exactly they keep saying a phone causes brain damage

• Brain damage as in actual brain damage because of radiation? I know that kind of parents, my uncle and aunt are like this, however their child is too young to even know what a phone is. If your parents are like this, chances are high, you won't persuade them.

• ok. :( i feel really upset still

• You didn't even say to keep in contact with friends or for emergencies?

• thats why I want it^ maybe my parents will let me once we move and i will be going places by myself a lot

• Didn't you text me already

• yes but i dont have a phone remember and my messages are super slow and annoying to use as you could probably tell.

• can u please message me i dont know what you're talking about what do you mean

• that is freaking weird cuz i dont have a phone and i dont have snapchat...

• I didn't get my first phone 'til I was 15, and it was only out of necessity.

• how did you manage to get one? by the way i also want it cuz my crush is going to high school next year and im only in jr high how will i keep in touch with him?

• I went to high school across town, and I had to walk.

• well obviously my parents wouldn't let me walk.. its not clos anyways. what am i supposed to do?

What Girls Said 12

• I don't think they're being unfair. You live in their house, so they have the ultimate decision. You get your allowance from them, too. If your reason to them for needing a phone is for texting your crushes, then that's not going to convince them either. I understand your frustration, but you're only 13. Maybe give it a couple years. I only got one for emergency use around your age, but texting wasn't a thing then (showing my age, hah).

• I had my first phone at the age of 12 . My parents are protective just like yours but above all they wanted to keep tabs on me and know that I am safe. However, I didn't want it to call guys etc at the time and I guess your parents are just being extra careful

• I think so! I had one when I was 8 years old because my dad was worried I would gfet lost.

• Unless you're doing a lot of activities at school, there's no reason for you to have a phone at 14.

• then why does everyone else have them? thats not why i want one by the way its cuz there's this guy i really like and he is going to high school next year how will i keep in touch?

• wow. thanks a lot

• You're welcome a lot

• I'm turning 14 too!! *high fives* First, you're not a brat don't be too hard on yourself. Maybe it's because your parent's don't think you're ready for one... you prove you are by showing initiative (aka doing more chores) that's what I'm doing right now xD

• I know how you feel.. I used to have an ipod and a tablet but they got taken away last year and I have to wait till im 16 to get a phone

• I think their being a little unfair but I could see why they won't let you have a phone. They probably won't let you have a phone because they're probably scared that you might get attached to it. Most teenagers and adults as well are on their phones nowadays. Another reason why they might not let you have a phone is because they'll have to pay with their money for you to keep that phone on and have it. I know you say that you would pay for it with your allowance but there's no way you would want to pay for it all the time, you would want to use your money for something else later on down the line. Please respect your parents decisions, they'll probably get you on phone sooner or later girly 😊👍

• Aww, you're too young to be worried about boys. I know you don't want to hear this (and neither did I at your age) but when you look back, you'll see that 13 is not old enough to take on the responsibility of a relationship.

As for the phone, 13 is borderline too young. Some kids get their first phone in middle school, others don't until high school. One of my friends didn't get hers until she got her drivers license. It's up to the parents.

• I am turning 14 in a few weeks and I have every right to have a crush and want to get to know him better.

• you won't appreciate what I am saying now, but when you're older you will understand. A phone is a curse at times, the amount of time we waste on phones rather than doing something way more productive in terms of self development is ridiculous. Spend your time and money learning something or doing something which will help you long term and you will thank yourself for it later. The phone will just be same old interactions for so many years and you hardly progress as a person from having one

• i understand, but my crush is going to high school next year and im only in jr high how will i keep in touch?

• well you try and negotiate it with your parents but if its causing tension in your relationship with your parents its really not worth it. Boys will come and go by the dozen and you might just come across him later on in life.

• i feel really attracted to him tho he is really funny and smart and amazing and cute and.. :(

• If you were driving to school and work I could see you having a cell phone but no not now. I seeno need in your having a phone.

• i want to be able to text my crush as he is going to high school next year how will i keep in touch anyways and i would like the wireless on a phone

• Yea I do understand, cell phones weren't the norm until I was already a senior in high school but I still think a few years until you start driving is better. You'll have to have a phone then for safety but now isn't the appropriate age.

• dont know and dont care (results)

• You don't need a phone. You're young.

• i want it cuz the guy i like is going to high school next year and how will i keep in touch? im only in jr high :(

• not just that. i also want to text my friends and have wireless

• I'm sure you have other ways.