Generally when do babies say their first word?

I should probably know this from the various development classes I've taken but I'm drawing a blank. I was just thinking about this because I was watching my 4 month old nephew yesterday and I swear I kept hearing him attempt to say "hello" a few times. But I feel like I may have been just imagining it.

0|0
5|3

Most Helpful Guy

• I think typical is about a year but I know for some it's much longer. 4 months would seem to be really early. At that age I think babies mostly just mumble or babble stuff maybe you're interpreting it as hello when he has no idea what he's saying? Or maybe he's a super-genius haha

1|0
    0|0
    • Haha maybe so! Maybe I'm just thinking too much because I can't wait until he's able to talk lol

Most Helpful Girl

• Around 8 months, maybe a tad earlier (and even later). All babies develop things quicker then other babies. Some may catch onto it a bit later. I think the average would be around 8 months and that would be just one word (eg. No, bye, mummy, daddy, yes) things like that. Leading up to the 8 months, Some babies will kind of sound particular letters out etc

1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 2

• I think it is 10-18 months but 12-14 covers most babies.

1|0
    0|0
  • All i know is i heard its usually no, and its when they really get tired of you trying to shove that string pea whatever mess in their faces lol
    Pretending its an airplane doesn't help :|

1|0
    0|0
    • Lol! He hasn't had the fun of being fed real food yet, he's still on bottles. But we discovered he likes ice cream! Hahaha

• I dont blame him there, coz ice cream <3

What Girls Said 4

• When they grow teeth!

1|0
    0|0
  • My one year old grandson says Mama, Dada, and (Peepee when he's getting his diaper changed) and he tested gifted. Babies mimic a lot of sounds but it's not until around one year that they associate a word with what it means.

1|0
    0|0
  • In average 1 year old I think

1|0
    0|0
  • i think so say mom

1|0
    0|0