Why does North Korea still exist?

It's horrible communist dictatorship. People there suffer because of their insane government. It's not a strong country, why doesn't USA or NATO or some organization like that overthrow the government and unite it with South Korea?

Most Helpful Guy

• For many reasons.

1. They are a nuclear powered state and the capital of South Korea (Seoul) is literally next door to the border that separates North/South Korea. Not a good combination in a good combination.

2. North Korea is allied with China. While China really doesn't really give a rat ass about North Korea, they still continue to act as their guardian, because they do not want US or it allies at it door step and NK merging with SK will do just that.

3. South Korea is not economically strong enough to handle the instant citizenship of all 25 million North Koreans. North Koreans are a group of people that have been brainwashed for the past 50 years. Undoing all of that will require billions upon billions of dollars toward education over the course of at least 2 generations.

4. North Korea is a mess economically. Majority of the people there are starving or living in undesirable conditions. Fixing this will require billions (if not trillions) of dollars.

5. If North Korea were to collapse then thousands if not millions of brainwashed North Koreans (who I'm sure fear or hate the US and its allies) will try to seek safety in China which is something China does not want. China already has a population problem and an economy that's not very sturdy, so they can't handle that burden either. That's the other reason for why they have allied themselves with NK, so they can keep the powers in NK around, so they themselves wouldn't have to deal with the aftermath.

Defeating NK in a war or overthrowing the leaders is the easy part. The hard part is the recovery part.

Most Helpful Girl

• Hello hi opinion from a person very involved in Model UN who knows a thing or two about how the world works.

To put it simply, thats not how it works. Just because we do not agree with totalitarianism doesn't mean we can go in and be like "lol you can't run your country anymore" There is this thing called "sovereignty" which is basically where countries have a right to run as a sovereign (meaning, the authority of a state to govern itself) nation, and that no other nations can disrupt that sovereignty. Attempting to disrupt another nations sovereignty is a big no-no, and its pretty much an international crime. You wouldn't want North Korea or China or Russia coming into our country trying to tell us how to run, well it would be the same kind of thing. All the major countries in the world have pretty much decided that trying to attack another nation's sovereignty is a war crime, and would face incredible consequences (Sanctions, trade restrictions, land removal... basically what happened to France after WW1, and to Germany/Russia after WW2) So, most major countries agree not to. This agreement was done by the UN, which all major countries are apart of.
    Besides, to each their own, and to be honest, people in North Korea don't know they are suffering. Many of them can't stand the US, and if we tried to go "help" they would declare all out war, which is the last thing the world needs. The US especially needs to focus on itself first, and not being the one country that thinks the world is a "one size fits all" for how a government is run, and thinks that "one size" is democracy. While all of us may agree with Democracy, doesn't mean we're right. North Korea, no matter how wrong we believe them to be, is a self sufficient government, as is Russia and China, and they seem to be running just fine. There's no need for us to jump in because we don't agree with communism/totalitarianism.

There you go. Tried my best.

• They do know they're suffering. Some do, at least. I'm about to read a book by a girl who escaped. If it wasn't bad why do people try to run away?

Sorry, I know my question seems immature. I do know how the world works. I just want them to have better lives and freedom. It's kind of an outcry.

• @ScruffynateAK Then that's up to the UN to decide. But the US has no right to jump in first.

• Who said the US should?
      But, well... The UN has recently allowed Saudi Arabia a seat on a human rights monitor, so their compass may be a touch off.

What Guys Said 22

• It's really not as simple as that North Korea isn' a stand alone country. It's an atheist state allied with China, It acts as a buffer zone between south korea (a western allie) vs The chinese allies.

Countries don't operate as singular operations. With that in mind, ignoring the fact that north korea's existence provides a safe seperation for China. If north korea wills it... despite being economically and politically in the dust. They do have the capabilities to DESTROY seoul and much of the economic powerhouses of the south before being overthrown.

However... If we ignore that for a moment, If they DID unite it still wouldn't be all sunflowers and roses. South Korea would be devastated economically. They'll have to invest billions if not trillions investing in infrastructure, re-education and re-intergration, hospitals, schools and with this would still mean that they'll go backwards economically and there is likely to be a north south divide

• When was the last time North Korea was at war with another country? Feel free to look it up and then compare how many wars the USA and NATO were involved since then.

What I am trying to say is you should clean your own act first before pointing fingers at others. Korea surely isn't the best place to live in, but there are certainly more important issues right now.

• My act? What is my act? I'm just worried about people.

• Actually, the Korean War never ended. It is technically one hell of a long cease fire.

• @Red_Arrow

Fair enough, but my general point still stands.

• Because it's not that simple. The people who have been brainwashed with propaganda for generations would not just assimilate just like that to a democratic government. They literally have no idea what the rest of the world is like or what a democracy even is. They literally would be like aliens arriving on earth for the first time. The fact is the place would become unstable and we don't know how citizens would react. It could be incredibly dangerous. Plus they also have artillery constantly aimed at Seoul South Korea so millions of South Korean civilians would get killed as well.

• And make it as flourishing country as, say, Libya, Iraq and others?

• Because that's not how the world works.

They have like a million man army. You think they're just going to let us walk in there and overthrow the government?

• That army is made of citizens with heads full of propaganda. They're taught not to criticize the government. They should be educated anout the outside world and rebel.

• I have absolutely no idea.

• Welcome to the real world.

• North Korea is backed by strong allies (China and Russia). And you can't just roll in and bomb people, you need to have popular support within the UN first and also consider that war is very costly and if your economy can support it. In the US, we don't need another war, trust me..
    And we fought in the Korean War so technically we contributed to the state's division.

• I agree, we should act upon our principles and liberate the country against all odds as a duty to humanity.

• It because North Korea is allied with more powerful nations. Starting a war them will start world war three.

• Really? Coz they got nukes
    America was gonna nuke them buy their leader told them if u nuked me I will nuke your greatest 4 capitals

• Because it has power and backed by a greater power meaning people will offer lip service to it but never action

• So, you want to be rid of a "bullying" dictatorship... by bullying it.
    Yeah, that would go well with the press.

• North Korea is run by a dictator and there is a line of dictators after him. They have lots of weapons, but if everyone went after them they would be forced to surrender. It wouldn't do any good though because they will just get a new dictator. They wouldn't want to combine with South Korea because then they loose a lot of their power

• Because Russia and China are being a pain in the ass right now

• Because you can't just overthrow a country. The people of a country should overthrow their leaders only if they themselves choose so. Outer forces cannot interfere.

• Because it has nukes and no oil.

• If the west strikes on North Korea, it would only start up a Korean War number two, I would imagine.

• Its not our problem

• Because it's close to China.

• With due respect. USA and NATO had done this barbarism with so many others. forget it and Try to focus on your own life. they're happy.

• Would you vote for an Asian-American presidential candidate?

Dancing with happiness

• No. why would i?
      i would rather vote to hang obama and other American presidents to hang till death.

• Cuz nobody cares what happens there, I know I certainly don't.

• national sovereignty.

and who is anybody to tell others how to live?

• Yeah, just let people be brainwashed and starve. We may not be able to do something, but don't act like what's going on there is acceptable

• go away, idiot. do i know you? if not, then go...

• Such a child. Disgusting.

• China would rather have a crazy guy running a repressive impoverished nation on their border than a strong free market republic which might make their citizens less content with their own more restrictive society. Also as a rule every nation prefers smaller weaker states on it's borders to larger, stronger ones.

• China sucks.

• I feel empathy, I just don't think situations are simple. Sometimes empathy means you can't do anything without making things worse.

• That wasn't at you. It just seems like people only care about their own. imI've bern told it's biological l, caring for those who look like you first. It's not the same for me.

What Girls Said 11

• because it can!

• If you kill the government with bombs, you may be bombed as well and you will destroy the dictatorship but you will also destroy the people who live under the dictatorship.

• I've thought about that, it's kind of why I can't figure it out. It seems there's absolutely nothing that can be done unless you find a magician who can form a telepathic bond with North Koreans.

• If people start messing with that shit we're going to live a world war 3

• Because Russia and China won't allow it and because South Korea doesn't want them.

• yea like what their doing with the Arab countries which created more chaos and ISIS

• They have the right to exist and besides most north Koreans probably don't even think like they do

• Yeah.. That's what I was thinking about when teacher gave homework to me told me to write about it whole 10 pages.

• That's a good question

• Why does USA still exist?

• because we have another problem more important like take care of the people who live in our own country.

• Ever heard of the Korean War?